Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
current limiter! You're over gearing it to soften the power down low right? If this is the case use the current limiter and the correct gearing.
Only the initial power hit. I refer to this as the first 6ft of car travel.
What is a good starting point for setting the current limiter on a 1/8 buggy with a 1900 motor?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K. Wood
What is a good starting point for setting the current limiter on a 1/8 buggy with a 1900 motor?
I like between 55-70 most of the time but look at other setups for your car:

http://teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESCsetu...up-sheets.html
Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have a possible issue...

after coming off a hard landing.. I had no throttle response but i had steering. I didnt get to see what lights were flashing on my speedo but a quick pick up and drop got it going again.

it was in a Losi SCTE running a revtech 4800 kv motor, spektrum 3100 dsm 2 receiver and futaba bls451 servo and a reedy 65c 6500 mah battery. my motor is temping about 175* and speedo between 105* and most i seen it after 7 min main was 121*

i have the fan on both the motor and speedo and ambient temp on the track was about 85*/90*

any ideas? or is it just shutting off because of the hard landing?

it was suggested i would have to send it in for repair..what would you suggest Randy
Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ok, now systematically plug in each item until it no longer works. Shut it on/off each time you plug an item in.

All led's flashing means the Rx8 is alive...something is shorted either, fan rx or sensor board pcb or harness.
Ugh...now everything is working again...not sure why it quit in the first place...possible got wet??? It's my son's truck and when it quit working, I got the "No, I didnt drive it in any water puddles!" I'm guess something got wet???

Thanks for your reply Randy...your making Tekin a winner in my book!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Same problem the ESC Powers off on landings

I'm having the same issu with landings the ESC cuts off only with throttle but I still have steering I do run Dean's connections from my batteries to my ESC but my batteries have bullet connectors so should I just run my Power wires from the ESC directly to the bullet connectors plugged into the batteries?? Also I am running spektrum electronics and a BEC from the Dean's connections with the batteries to the RX receiver should I try a glitch buster???
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 AM
DRC
Tech Initiate

Looks like a number of us using the RX8 are having motor issues after hard starts, crashes or hard landings.

Sure wish someone could help us out and let's get this problem fixed....
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DRC
Looks like a number of us using the RX8 are having motor issues after hard starts, crashes or hard landings.
I have an idea...
Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Moogumby
I have a possible issue...

after coming off a hard landing.. I had no throttle response but i had steering. I didnt get to see what lights were flashing on my speedo but a quick pick up and drop got it going again.

it was in a Losi SCTE running a revtech 4800 kv motor, spektrum 3100 dsm 2 receiver and futaba bls451 servo and a reedy 65c 6500 mah battery. my motor is temping about 175* and speedo between 105* and most i seen it after 7 min main was 121*

i have the fan on both the motor and speedo and ambient temp on the track was about 85*/90*

any ideas? or is it just shutting off because of the hard landing?

it was suggested i would have to send it in for repair..what would you suggest Randy
Do you have a cap in your receiver?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by bmxracer39x
Ugh...now everything is working again...not sure why it quit in the first place...possible got wet??? It's my son's truck and when it quit working, I got the "No, I didnt drive it in any water puddles!" I'm guess something got wet???

Thanks for your reply Randy...your making Tekin a winner in my book!
Yeah if he managed to get water into the sensors or other sensitive areas that would have caused it.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Ok, please do this. Plug in ONLY the hotwire, launch the software, hit help. Read the version?
It says version 8.4.1
Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by DRC

Sure wish someone could help us out and let's get this problem fixed....
Help you out how? If you take any electronic device and bang it against something it will eventually stop working...

We have no control over how these esc's are mounted, wired up, and otherwise treated for their life. I've seen countless esc's mis wired, abused, smashed,etc.

I'm not saying this is the only cause for failure. I am saying however that there are other factors involved in the car that create these issues.

Super high powered servos that are drawing more power than the BEC is rated for while are tolerated for awhile will eventually cause a failure.

Impact issues can be loose connections, servo spikes from impact, chafed wires shorting againts things and each other, loose receiver connections, bad sensor wires, bad sensor boards, bad motors and the list goes on on and on.

IF you're having impact issues I'd suggest listing ALL of your components and we can help you systematically eliminate them all one at a time.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by mHOUPS
It says version 8.4.1
Ok great. What esc are we working on here? If it's the Rx8 please unplug the fan from the fan port, retry.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

current limiter! You're over gearing it to soften the power down low right? If this is the case use the current limiter and the correct gearing.
I had it set at 90, what do you suggest? That means I would lose some top end though right? How can i keep the top end that 17t provides over the 15t when i gear down?

I feel the car makes up the laptimes in the straights with better top end as everyone is going basically the same speeds in the turns. Reason i say this, the track i tested on, i consistently gained about 1 sec per lap with the 17t over the 15t and the only thing i could notice differently is i was able to blast down the straight faster.

I also just read your comment to another poster regarding superhigh power servos. How does this affect the esc and if my servo says hi voltage should i look for something lesser per say?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Mini8 Menace
Also I am running spektrum electronics and a BEC from the Dean's connections with the batteries to the RX receiver should I try a glitch buster???
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks
Any chance you can elimiate an extra connection, do so.

If you're using a seperate BEC do you have the red wire removed from the Rx8? If so and you're glitching and losing steering that's eliminating the Rx8 more or less.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by mcion
I had it set at 90, what do you suggest? That means I would lose some top end though right? How can i keep the top end that 17t provides over the 15t when i gear down?

I feel the car makes up the laptimes in the straights with better top end as everyone is going basically the same speeds in the turns. Reason i say this, the track i tested on, i consistently gained about 1 sec per lap with the 17t over the 15t and the only thing i could notice differently is i was able to blast down the straight faster.

I also just read your comment to another poster regarding superhigh power servos. How does this affect the esc and if my servo says hi voltage should i look for something lesser per say?
No, CL doesn't affect top end. Go to 16T and lower current limiter down to 70 to start off.

The Rx8 is not desinged to work with actual HV servos. So if your servo requires 8.4v you'll need to find a way to provide that voltage. You can use a rx pack or seperate BEC. You could also swap out to a non hv servo.

The Rx8 is rated at 6v 5 amps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.