Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by krash'um
Hey guys need some help with my old reliable RX8, it has been flawless for a very long time but recently it started to act up. Sometimes when I turn it on it doesn't arm, it turns on, the fan comes on but it doesn't sound the chimes, the steering servo works but no throttle and 1, 3 & 5 lights come on which indicates LVC but I know for a fact that the battery is fully charged. I turn the switch on and off several times and eventually it will arm and when it does it works perfectly again, any suggestions? Thanks.
Check your battery connections , I had the same problem when the connection was either loose or had some dirt in them .
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So, at a big race this last weekend.. I go to plug in my batteries and... No lights, no fan, a tiny spark between the bullet connector and battery hard case socket (as usual), but again, no power, no lights, no motor chime, no fan, nothing... and i've checked all of my packs.. (about 14 of them, kinda hoping it was maybe a bad pack, or a busted jumper wire, but all checked out good).

I opened up the RX8 case (it's a three-hole, red heatsink, btw.. fairly new), and nothing seemed to be amiss with any of the solder joints, diodes, capacitors, etc... Everything looks bueno.

Any idea..? Oh and I'm running mine hard-wired (no on/off switch), and I double-checked the solder joint, I made on that, and re-soldered everything.. Still no bueno.

Thanks gents!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default Current Limiter?

Randy,

Can you settle a question about the current limiter function. Does the current limiter affect the initial amount of current when the throttle is initially pulled or does it limit the total current sent to the motor all the time?

Everyone has a different opinion it seems.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weavty1
So, at a big race this last weekend.. I go to plug in my batteries and... No lights, no fan, a tiny spark between the bullet connector and battery hard case socket (as usual), but again, no power, no lights, no motor chime, no fan, nothing... and i've checked all of my packs.. (about 14 of them, kinda hoping it was maybe a bad pack, or a busted jumper wire, but all checked out good).

I opened up the RX8 case (it's a three-hole, red heatsink, btw.. fairly new), and nothing seemed to be amiss with any of the solder joints, diodes, capacitors, etc... Everything looks bueno.

Any idea..? Oh and I'm running mine hard-wired (no on/off switch), and I double-checked the solder joint, I made on that, and re-soldered everything.. Still no bueno.

Thanks gents!

Same problem here...checked battery input post for voltage which is at 8.4volts...so I'm getting voltage to the RX8...I even plugged in my hotwire, which worked and I was able to see my current settings...just no power when plugged into battery.

Any ideas? Or should I call for service?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dexon555
Randy,

Can you settle a question about the current limiter function. Does the current limiter affect the initial amount of current when the throttle is initially pulled or does it limit the total current sent to the motor all the time?

Thanks.
Adjusts to initial throttle response during acceleration.

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire_rs.html
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Does the current limiter affect the initial amount of current when the throttle is initially pulled or does it limit the total current sent to the motor all the time?
As far as I know current limiter affect initial throttle only, living full rpm unaffected.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Looking for some insight, Got a Tekin T8 1900 with RX8 on a XB9 converted electric. The car comes with 46t spur and the diff case ratio is 3.33333 or 40t/12t. I have been between 15t, 16t, and 17t pinions trying to find the right combo. A friend of mine has the same setup and buggy as I and uses a 15t and likes it, but I feel like the 17t suits my driving style better as I am able to be more consistent and faster with it, the problem is the 17t is getting the esc pretty hot, all dots flashing after a pack and motor temping at 200 to 210, where the 15t is at about 5 - 6 dots flashing temping at 150 - 160 and motor still coming off at 190 - 200. What can i do to reduce the torque like a 17t would and gain the top end i want without introducing the extra heat?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Randy, can you elaborate please?

thanks
Paul
Not much to add really. On the motor ABC wires there should be NO connectors. These wires carry a lot of power and any connections or connectors added to them will only add resistance and or cause a problem when they loosen up while racing.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by weavty1

Thanks gents!
Unplug the fan, unplug the sensor harness, unplug the Rx8 from the receiver, power it up. Result?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Team Tekin

Randy,

Thanks.
Only the initial power hit. I refer to this as the first 6ft of car travel.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by bmxracer39x
Same problem here...checked battery input post for voltage which is at 8.4volts...so I'm getting voltage to the RX8...I even plugged in my hotwire, which worked and I was able to see my current settings...just no power when plugged into battery.

Any ideas? Or should I call for service?

Thanks
Unplug the fan, unplug the sensor harness, unplug the Rx8 from the receiver, power it up. Result?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by mcion
Looking for some insight, Got a Tekin T8 1900 with RX8 on a XB9 converted electric. The car comes with 46t spur and the diff case ratio is 3.33333 or 40t/12t. I have been between 15t, 16t, and 17t pinions trying to find the right combo. A friend of mine has the same setup and buggy as I and uses a 15t and likes it, but I feel like the 17t suits my driving style better as I am able to be more consistent and faster with it, the problem is the 17t is getting the esc pretty hot, all dots flashing after a pack and motor temping at 200 to 210, where the 15t is at about 5 - 6 dots flashing temping at 150 - 160 and motor still coming off at 190 - 200. What can i do to reduce the torque like a 17t would and gain the top end i want without introducing the extra heat?
current limiter! You're over gearing it to soften the power down low right? If this is the case use the current limiter and the correct gearing.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Thanks for the reply Randy!

After unplugging fan, sensor and recvr....I get all the LED's flashing.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Jordan Anderson
What's the RX8 do if the sensor PCB in the T8 motor goes bad?

My RX8 is beeping and ramping the LEDs in sets of three when I turn it on with the sensor cable plugged in. It's as though it's doing a factory reset over and over again. The fan also runs while this is happening....

When I unplug the sensor wire, the RX8 starts up fine, but all the settings are back to the factory defaults (ie. no voltage cutoff etc...)

Would this indicate the sensor PCB in the T8 is broken?
As a result of the above and because I couldn't get a T8 sensor PCB quickly, I raced with the RX8/T8 combo sensorless yesterday. It ran great sensorless!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by bmxracer39x
Thanks for the reply Randy!

After unplugging fan, sensor and recvr....I get all the LED's flashing.
Ok, now systematically plug in each item until it no longer works. Shut it on/off each time you plug an item in.

All led's flashing means the Rx8 is alive...something is shorted either, fan rx or sensor board pcb or harness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.