Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Is there any plans on making an android version of hot-wire so I can update with my tablet instead of my laptop ?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by OldGuydust
would a power capacitor help lower temps at all, or is not needed at all with the RX8 technology built in?
The rx8 has them built in, so there's no benefit to adding more.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

"Mobile" tools are under development. Sorry this is all you're going to get out of us as an answer to that ?

Caps only need to be added to an Rx8 that is being used in Drag racing or some boat applications.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by ABN Hoosier
I had some questions about the Timing/Boost.

I have a Tekin RX-8 and a Tekin Pro4 4600kv in my Team Associated SC10 4x4
Gearing is 16T pinion and 60T spur.

It is tall gearing but I modded dual fans to cool the motor. I ran a 10min Main and my temps on ESC/MOTOR were 135/165. Not too shabby.

I ran MIN timing boost. I wanted to try around 15 @ 8200 to 21000 timing/boost (rounded numbers, I don't have the Hotwire program open in front of me). I set it up to kick in at that RPM. My questions are: What increase in temps might I expect? How much power increase when it kicks in should I expect to feel?

I don't want to burn it up, and I have heard people don't run timing/boost on the Pro4's. But I wanted the 2 cents on it before I gave it a run.
First off let's clear up a term so we're talking properly. The Rx8 doesn't "boost" it only adds "Timing advance."

The Pro 4 doens't need timing to go fast. You're already geared higher than I'd suggest unless you're outdoors on a 1/8 track. You can begin adding small amounts like you're suggesting. Leave the rpms defaulted though as they're default for offroad racing. You can play with them but you'll want a wider rpm variance while testing the amount of timing.

It should simply make more power. Note though that there is a point of no "returns" in which it will only generate more motor heat and consume more battery mah and simply not go faster.

Your batteries will become the weak link in your chain.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Team Tekin

@fq06 No your wires look fine. Get it sent in asap. We're pretty good about being "just outside warranty" as long as you're honest and follow the instructions.

@zylstra A "brown out" is when the radio system shuts down briefly while you're running. You get steering back first as there's no safety on it. IF this happens the Rx8 will need to "see" neutral to "arm" and give you motor drive again. This takes about 3 seconds but feels a bit longer.

You can experience this in tight turns, or over jumps as this is when the steering servo spikes on current draw and pulls the votlage down past where the radio will tolerate. SO it "reboots." The cap will help to act as a buffer preventing this.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Randy,
Is it true that TEKIN is using advanced alien technology in their esc's and motors? Please be truthfull. TEKIN products run like hell and never complain.
Thanks,

DEX...

Last edited by dexon555; 08-01-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
@fq06 No your wires look fine. Get it sent in asap. We're pretty good about being "just outside warranty" as long as you're honest and follow the instructions.

@zylstra A "brown out" is when the radio system shuts down briefly while you're running. You get steering back first as there's no safety on it. IF this happens the Rx8 will need to "see" neutral to "arm" and give you motor drive again. This takes about 3 seconds but feels a bit longer.

You can experience this in tight turns, or over jumps as this is when the steering servo spikes on current draw and pulls the votlage down past where the radio will tolerate. SO it "reboots." The cap will help to act as a buffer preventing this.

Is the "cap", the "glitch buster" as others so commonly refer? If that is the case, a good deal I have found is on amain, the spektrum glitch buster is pretty cheap.. Thinking about getting a few as I run a savox 1257tg. I have not run my system yet, as I am in the re-build stage as of current.

ps. Thanks Team Tekin for the fast ship on my goods! Hooah!!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Team Tekin

No, glitch busters are for the radio system.

Drag racers can take a 3s lipo and drop the voltage down to about 3v under a load. Crazy when a charged pack is around 12v. That amount of voltage drop under a load means a few extra caps on the battery lines is a good thing.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have to post that my RX8 has been just bulletproof in the 2 years I've had it.. this weekend i filled it with water at a race for the 3rd time this year, no light,chimes,nothing. utterly dead. (bloody mid qualifyer storm shower) .. anyway open case remove all internals, wash liberally with WD40 , blast with compressor, 5 minutes hairdryer action and once again reassemble and bingo works again.. can't beat that for reliability.. oh and I even spotted the button that I dropped out the case lying under my pit table in the gravel.. how lucky is that.(one day I'm gonna remember those tiny buttons are there when I open the case.)I'm just hoping the spare I sent in for the case upgrade/repair isn't lost in the post.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pat863
Is there any plans on making an android version of hot-wire so I can update with my tablet instead of my laptop ?
+1
Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Just my 2 cents:

I was thinking it would be nice to have the soldering posts that are on the RX8 an option on the motors as well. Maybe not as tall, but shorter. Also like maybe gradual in size, like the "A" post 1mm high, the "B" post 2mm high, and the "C" post 3mm high. Reasons are to make wires more secure and also neater too. I just like the solid connection the posts provide opposed to the flat soldering tabs on the motor.

Maybe and optional part like this with the variable RX8 posts on the motor soldering ring. I'd buy one

Tekin Pro4 Solder Tabs & Isolator Set [TEKTT2514]

Here is my RX8/Pro4 4600. See what I mean about if the variable size posts were an option on the motor in this configuration?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Gizmatron
I have to post that my RX8 has been just bulletproof in the 2 years I've had it.. this weekend i filled it with water at a race for the 3rd time this year, no light,chimes,nothing. utterly dead. (bloody mid qualifyer storm shower) .. anyway open case remove all internals, wash liberally with WD40 , blast with compressor, 5 minutes hairdryer action and once again reassemble and bingo works again.. can't beat that for reliability.. oh and I even spotted the button that I dropped out the case lying under my pit table in the gravel.. how lucky is that.(one day I'm gonna remember those tiny buttons are there when I open the case.)I'm just hoping the spare I sent in for the case upgrade/repair isn't lost in the post.
I've also he'd you can dunk it in rubbing alcohol and I has such a high evaporation rate that it will just dry right up after a bit. My buddy did it with a cell phone.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryanpatrickgore
I've also he'd you can dunk it in rubbing alcohol and I has such a high evaporation rate that it will just dry right up after a bit. My buddy did it with a cell phone.
Or you can drop it in a bag with some rice and let it sit. I keep those little silica packets you get when you buy certain items. They soak up moisture really really fast.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I am currently in the process of converting my 1/8 buggy to an SC ala the following...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-2-4wd-19.html

I will be competing this w/end at RCMadness in Enfield, CT for the SC Nats, with this in the 4x Big Block class. As such, I'll be running my normal 1/8 set up. However, in the future, I am considering keeping the conversion and setting it up to run a "standard" SC setup with 2s batts.
I know 4Poles are the current rage right now...but all I currently have is a couple 550 cans. I'm curious if it would be feasible to run in what wouyld likely be a fairly heavy vehicle?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Team Tekin

Solder posts like on the esc on the motor would not work in some applications. It would work on your SC10 but not all that great in others.

2 pole vs. 4 pole is all about temps. 2 poles like our Sc4x work just fine if the temps are kept in check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.