Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What is the setting called on Hotwire where you setup up your throttle to have zero delay as soon as you pull the trigger? I can't remember right off the top of my head.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tyler Keel
What is the setting called on Hotwire where you setup up your throttle to have zero delay as soon as you pull the trigger? I can't remember right off the top of my head.
Neutral Width: Adjusts throttle deadband around Neutral. Lower values provide a more sensitive trigger response and higher values provide a less sensitive trigger response. Lowering the value too far can cause problems with some receivers and your ESC may not arm at power-up. This is because the ESC is looking for a very specific neutral signal and if the radio is not dead on with the signal (as almost none of them are at this high a resolution) it will not accept what it sees as neutral and will not arm.
*Factory Setting is 56*

Straight from the Tekin Hotwire site

Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by weavty1
Neutral Width: Adjusts throttle deadband around Neutral. Lower values provide a more sensitive trigger response and higher values provide a less sensitive trigger response. Lowering the value too far can cause problems with some receivers and your ESC may not arm at power-up. This is because the ESC is looking for a very specific neutral signal and if the radio is not dead on with the signal (as almost none of them are at this high a resolution) it will not accept what it sees as neutral and will not arm.
*Factory Setting is 56*

Straight from the Tekin Hotwire site

Thank you sir, I do appreciate it.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Both of my Airtronics radios, MX3X and M11X, have worked with it set somewhere between 5 -10.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default oh ok i have a few issues too

Originally Posted by hefe
yes..i realize that running the red wire from the esc is NOT correct,..and i never ran it like that..

when a CC bec fails...it will send full pack voltage through to your RX and servo. in my case, this was 16.8v. Since i didn't realize the bec was bad before plugging in a new servo...i managed to burn up a second servo. so thats where the $300 worth of electronics came from...esc is still working (although the BEC inside the esc never really worked at all...which is why i had to run the CC bec in the first place..)
i have had great customer service from tekin so far, hopefully i won't have to pay to repair something like this.
i run my bec from the batts to receiver but when i was at the track sat i would land or just be running and my esc would lose throttle servo still worked cause of bec just for a few seconds so i couldn't tell what lights were blinking all i know is it was beeping so i called them to day and they said it might just be a default in the esc but i realized my servo had come off the tape so i put some more tape on and fit a piece of foam on it to pad it so i ran it in my backyard track and had no problems even with a couple crashes and hard landing hope i fixed it but tekin support is standing behind there product +++
Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Gorillazilla
Ello chaps. :-)

New tekkin user here X-)

Trying out something Different to the usual sensorless MMM/CC1515/2200KV setup

So I've just picked up a Tekkin RX8 and Tekkin 4030 2650KV, to go in the Hyper 7 I've recently picked up to have some Variety as well as Truggy ;-)

Thing is, I've no idea what the capacitys and limits of the smaller 4030 motor are compared to a CC1515/2200KV, So am unsure where to start for gearing.

though I was considering gearing it for 45 MPH on 4S for a 4KG Hyper 7 (buggy) similar to how the CC1515/2200KV is happily geared at for driving a 5KG Hyper ST (truggy)

Heres the Data.

The car is Hyper 7, 4.3KG all up weight.

Pinion Undetermined ( but guessing around the 13/14/15 Range) 46T center spur Differentials are 13T pinion 43T Ring Gear

Tyres will vary for different surfaces (Grass/Dirt/Asphalt) but be the usual 4.5 Inch buggy diameter.

The car will be used Primarily for bashing, And will often be driven by potential new RC'ers who may fancy joining the hobby, for a Try out to see if they like it before shelling out for their own car, usually with throttle limiting Via EPA to tame the power a little.
(if the RX8 can handle the Extra Heat due to inneficiency from throttle limiting via increasing the Switching rate, and never being on WOT... 2S or 3S if not...)

CrimeFighters For Dirt Hobao Spirals for Grass and Slicks for Asphalt/Tarmac.
And a Wide variety of running spaces from huge open fields to tight dusty yards...

Could you give me an Idea of what tooth pinion would be the start of Overgearing? and Which would be the start of undergearing for this particular motor on 4S driving a Hyper 7?

So I can pick a Pinion right in the middle as far away from Either as possible so the gearing can handle the various different terrains and mixes of time between acceleration/Cruising at top speed at full throttle...

Cheers in advance Chaps

Any ideas on gearing anyone? I only have a couple of weeks before the car has to be ready, taking it to greece to conquer some foreign terrain X-)
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Any ideas on gearing anyone? I only have a couple of weeks before the car has to be ready, taking it to greece to conquer some foreign terrain X-)
A good safe gearing would be to aim for 40mph using the scriptasylum.com speed calculator.

To tame the power to let friends try it you can definitely use the epa to cut it back or if you have a friend you trust going 40mph, but don't want them to have insane acceleration use the current limiter.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Start out with a 13T and see where temps go.

The 3s setup isn't the best for all around bashing to be honest. You'd be much better off with more voltage and less kv for long term fun.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Do you set EPA to 100 or max it out at say 120 (radio depending of course)?
What would be the real world effects of taking it over 100
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Team Tekin

I use 100 so I can talk actual percentages. Going higher can give you more "steps" or a broader trigger feel but it's not a huge difference.

When using 100/100 you can speak to other drivers by saying "I turn down my brakes by 15%" etc.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Randy, just so i have this right. Running an RC8BE on 4 cells and a 1700 truggy motor. With a 48 spur would I be close with a 22 or a 23 tooth pinion? I was running 5 cells but both packs lost a cell! LOL. Tracks are bigger. Am I right to gear it so it reaches full speed half way down the straight? Thanks, Daryl.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

I set my brakes at 100% on the speed control and just adjust from the radio down to my preference. Easy to do, and you know you can always adjust on the radio up or down depending on what you are looking for.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Randy: what motor do you recommend of your truggy line that would offer similar performance to a castle 2200Kv motor on 6S. This would be in a 1/8 scale monster truck, initially, then a light 1/5 conversion like the Super 5SC.

Also, as a general question, if for some reason the internal BEC of the RX8 fails, is there a possibility that it could send all the voltage to the servos and receiver?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by dayglo33
Randy, just so i have this right. Running an RC8BE on 4 cells and a 1700 truggy motor. With a 48 spur would I be close with a 22 or a 23 tooth pinion? I was running 5 cells but both packs lost a cell! LOL. Tracks are bigger. Am I right to gear it so it reaches full speed half way down the straight? Thanks, Daryl.
I don't like it to top out half way, more like 3/4 or not at all.

yeah the gearing sounds close.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech Initiate

has any one tried packing the speedy with Dielectric Compound? to make them a little more water resistant?

I fried one today landing in a puddle on the side of the track...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.