Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi xxx-4

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Tech Regular

YoungChazz - good points there...

I don't want to go too far into the details as it is not my 'invension' but the basic theory is that you use the 41t pulleys front and back, and cut the tunnel out of the bottom of the chassis then cover it with lexan. this will allow the lower diffs

It does make the chassis weak as you said but I am sure it can be fixed...

Here in the US we have no trouble setting the car up "bones level," we just have to put up with dragging the chassis around.
Thats the point, having the chassis drag around is a bad thing, especially since the footprint of the xxx-4 chassis is so large. it also have some horrible 'corners' to the chassis

Dogbones or CVD's like to run with no angle on them(level), so if you run the driveshafts above level to get the ground clearance then at speed the car is being 'pulled' lower by the shafts trying to run level.
So running your ride hieght height might help but on the track the ride height will never be the same as what you set on the table

to sum up...

imagine a car sitting on the table with the driveshafts running level but you need more ride hight.
what this is trying to do is to move the chassis up 3.8mm but leave the diffs in the same place.

Hope tha makes sense
Old 09-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Chris- Sounds like you and your pops have been running a lot of 4wd!!!!??? Thanks for sharing some the info.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default xxx-4 Problems

I think I understand your solution to the problem, Chris. Bones level is the only way to run, and that simply makes the chassis of a xxx-4 too low on your tracks. In the US, we really only get away with it on our smooth "blue groove" tracks with few really big jumps. We simply don't run championship races on rough tracks. Best example is the smooth concrete track from this year's ROAR Mod Nats, which was designed to comply with the ROAR rule that eliminates big jumps.

Running the slightly smaller diff gears with lowered mounts will allow you to raise the chassis while maintaining bones level, and that will solve (somewhat) the major problem of the xxx-4. I say "somewhat" because I'm not sure how much height you'll gain, and, as you said, the chassis is still a sled.

41-T gears will lower the internal ratio from 2.10 to 2.05, probably forcing you to run only the 94-T spur, unless you make your own. (An X - 5 spur will fit if you simply drill out the center. We make & sell 100, 102, 104, & 106)

Paul has run Losi right from the beginning -- his first car was one of the first xx-4s. He says you can go fast with a xxx-4, but it's very difficult to drive. Because the car is unforgiving, you have to be perfect all the time. On the other hand, with the xx-4 you can attack the track and the other competitors. Overcook it a bit and it will help you out of trouble.

If only somebody would make a single-belt xx-4...
Old 09-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: xxx-4 Problems

Originally posted by YoungChazz
If only somebody would make a single-belt xx-4... [/B]
ROFL... nice plug

I agree, I can be faster with my xxx-4, but it is hard work and setups need to be changed between tracks quite a bit.

with the xx-4 it seems to be a 'one setup fits all' and is very easy to drive.

having said all that, I like my xxx-4 quite a lot, its not perfect but it is pretty dialed after a few runs on a track.

Filipow - It is really not of my design at all, I got e-mailed the idea by someone that was pitting on our table at the worlds...

But in the UK we run as much 4WD as we do 2WD, for us 4WD is like your Trucks in popularity
Old 09-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Been testing and running the X5 lately. It's simply a great car to drive and work on. Laptimes are showing to be fast too.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone know where I can get Outdrive Savers?? Trinity no longer makes them and I am desperate for a couple of sets!!!! Titanium prefferable but Aluminum is fine too.......

Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Ah, the quest for the Holy Grail.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Good luck finding those.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

fotosaccion, let me know if you find some, I need a set for my front diff...

Wanna see my XXX4's new look? The body is forthcoming... when I get more money

Old 10-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by fotosaccion
Does anyone know where I can get Outdrive Savers?? Trinity no longer makes them and I am desperate for a couple of sets!!!! Titanium prefferable but Aluminum is fine too.......
Thanks!!
fotosaccion - I have a pair in 99% perfect shape (blue aluminum). Only thing "wrong" is cosmetic in a TINY place where the blue was scratched off. The spot can't be seen when the outdrive saver is on. I don't need them anymore, got tired of replacing one-ways and sold the buggy. Email me if interested.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Default xxx-4 Pix

When did you get my old couch??
Old 10-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: xxx-4 Pix

Originally posted by YoungChazz
When did you get my old couch??
We've had it since my parents got married 26 years ago... in fact, it's being replaced this month...
Old 10-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

I found a set of outdrive savers from a guy locally........ Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Very cool thread, i am in love with this car and finding this thread is a helpfull look at what othres have tried. I will be looking at a one way front as well as trying out internal limiters. i have the XXX-4 G+ and love it to death. I run the 5800 Novak Brushless with great success and again I can't complain at all.
The only mods I have done are Trinity rear 1 degree rear hub carriers, aluminum pin mounts all around, aluminum motor clamp and extra long belt conversion. I have not really seen anything else that would benifit the car unlsee any of you have suggestions of what to do for extra bit here and there on set up.
Attached Thumbnails Losi xxx-4-mod-buggy.jpg  
Old 10-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default My Couch

My wife and I bought a couch & love seat that look just like yours somewhere around 1978 -- 26 years ago -- and just replaced them in June. Does yours have wood on the arms?

What co-incidence!! There simply aren't all that many people interested in the xxx-4. Not that it's a bad car, but that the class is small and xxx-4 is just one car in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.