Losi xxx-4

Old 08-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Default Fix for the Losi One-Way

As we all know the Losi one-way needs work. Losi has refused to do anything about it. Why, I haven't a clue. It's really sad to say because for years they have released fine quality products but this one just doesn't meet the standard in my opinion. That opinion is shared by many. The fact is the one-way just doesn't like the abuse we give it in the off-road environment.

One of the causes of breakdown of the one-way bear is that the out-drive as a tendency to pull out of the hub in a crash. This puts tremendous torque on just a small part of the bearing and causes it to fail. One of the aids in helping preventing this has been to score the hubs and out-drives with a hobby knife to create a tighter fit. However this doesn't totally prevent the out-drive from working out of the hub.

If there was someway to lock the out-drive into the hub then maybe we could prevent 90% of the failures.

The other night I set out to find a way to lock the out-drive into the hub. Here’s what I did.

- I took the input shaft and slotted it to hold an e-clip. I did this by mounting the shaft into a drill press and then used a dremel tool with cutting wheel and cut a slot as close to the end as I could get. I then installed an e-clip on the shaft and sanded the end with the dremel tool until there was only about .010” (estimated) of steel material between the end of the shaft and e-clip.

- Took an old input shaft and cut off .025” of the square end to make a shim that would fit into the square hole of the out-drive to effectively lengthen the input shaft. I also drilled out the shim slightly so it would not have any treads left in it.

- To finish the assembly of the one-way hub and out-drive I placed the input shaft through the one-way bearing and then inserted the out-drive and screwed it together using the stock screws.

- When screwing the two hub halves together onto the pulley I sandwiched two Losi diff shims (one on each side of the pulley) to give more clearance for the input shafts which now ride in a bit deeper than stock. To do this you have to cut 3 small notches into the shims so they clear the screws properly. This widens the diff slightly but on my chassis and front diff cover the unit still fit well and caused no binding in the drive train.

The result is a one-way unit in which the out-drives cannot move in and out. This should help lengthen the life of the product. I will post the results of these changes after I race this weekend. I wanted to post this so maybe others that have nothing else better to do and like to modify parts with their dremels can have it.

I hope this is "the" fix but if not we will continue the quest.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default Great Idea

Sounds like a great idea, Jared. Also, sounds like someone could make new, longer input shafts with the slot in them as well as proper shims and sell the kit.

Have you run it yet?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Fix for the Losi One-Way

Originally posted by Jared Kirkwood
As we all know the Losi one-way needs work. Losi has refused to do anything about it. Why, I haven't a clue. It's really sad to say because for years they have released fine quality products but this one just doesn't meet the standard in my opinion. That opinion is shared by many. The fact is the one-way just doesn't like the abuse we give it in the off-road environment.
I know this is the off-road forum....but the on-road guys have had the same problem with the XXX-S sedan and the droop screws. Racer after racer has complained about the lack of good, properly functioning droop screws, but losi never had updated the car to reflect the needs of the racers.

Now we have the same problem with the XXX-4 and the one-way, and again, losi does nothing... hmm.

This is part of the reason why I've sold my XXX-4 and building up a BJ4.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

hmm... When I get a one-way, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

As most of you know, I love the look of Polished aluminum. I have something polished on all my cars. But when I got the XXX4, I noticed there was only three things that were polishable: The Motor mount, which wouldn't be visible, and the two things that hold the front hinge pins in. I realized that they had no anodize on them, so during my free time, today, here was the result:

Enjoy!

PS: Sorry for the bluriness, that was the only angle that I could get it to shine
Also, that's not rust, it's dirt in which I guess I couldn't see before I took it...
Attached Thumbnails Losi xxx-4-xxx4-polished.jpg  
Old 08-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

wow dude i think u need the rcscewz kit for that xxx-4 man come keep ur car in a better shape
Old 08-16-2004, 05:59 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think there is someone who is custom making a front oneway for the XXX-4 that from what I understand doesn't break. I believe you can find the info on www.4wdrc.com in the forum area.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by rcracer0229
wow dude i think u need the rcscewz kit for that xxx-4 man come keep ur car in a better shape
Yep... I know, I bought it used, what can I say? Good idea, because I have to slot almost every screw on it... Everything is in an Untapped hole in the Graphite! Stupid people don't know what a Tap is...
Old 08-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Great Idea

Originally posted by YoungChazz
Sounds like a great idea, Jared. Also, sounds like someone could make new, longer input shafts with the slot in them as well as proper shims and sell the kit.

Have you run it yet?
Chazz,

I tested it this weekend and the bearings held up great. It even got the ultimate test when I accidently ripped the entire front end of the car. That in the past would have shatted at least one of the bearings. I'm pretty happy with it.

I have another design that should be even better and require no shimming. I'm waiting for some misc hardware to come in from McMaster then I need to run to a friends machine shop to make the new pins.

BTW: About got that X5 together and will start testing and running it soon. Possibly this weekend on Coyote's rough but high bite outdoor track. Should be a great test track for it.

Great win for you at the Indiana State Race.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Can't wait to see your review of the X-5.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Welp, My buddy Mike came over and we couldn't get his truck running, so We Threw his Orion Revolution 11x2 in my X4 and hooked up my own electronics.... all I can say is WOW I have never seen anything that fast and that responsive at that high of a speed!

The bad news: I broke the Front graphite Hingepin mount .... Oh well, I needed the aluminum one anyways!
Old 08-21-2004, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default Indiana Race

Thanks, Jared. Paul was flying at the Indiana race in Ft. Wayne. Several Losi factory drivers and several semi-factory drivers were there, but they only ran buggy and not 4WD. We wish they had been running their wheelers.

Paul set fastest lap of any class with a 19.5. Then he backed it up with a 19.4. We believe those were the fastest laps for anybody all day.

We'll have a story and complete results on www.4wdrc.com soon.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Indiana Race

Originally posted by YoungChazz
[B]Several Losi factory drivers and several semi-factory drivers were there, but they only ran buggy and not 4WD. We wish they had been running their wheelers.
Sorry just going to say it and this won't be the first time that I've made others mad and probably won't be the last.

If you are sponsored by a factory to run their products and get their parts for free or almost free, and there is a class for one of their products and you don't run them, then SHAME on you. This goes for both trophy races and club racing. If I was a company and I found out members of the team wasn't trying to push my classes I wanted to sell products in, then they would be gone.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Nose Diving!

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me out. My XXX4 seems very front heavy off jumps as it always dives front first using smooth throttle control. Its aggravating! Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

You running a one-way or a diff up front? If got a diff then that makes car a lot more sensative to how much you lift off the gas in the air and the cars attitude. Post your setup b/c something might be a little whacked out. Most of the time you can just approach jumps differently if you have problems with certain jumps. So in your case try checking up before the jump, then accelerate up the face of the jump, that should make it jump more level.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.