Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ACADEMY 1/10 scale 2WD BUGGY

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

glad to hear that Chris! close tracks are good tracks My news is that I just got a full CF treatment from Diggity Designs. They have some SWEET stuff guys. I love the fit and finish of their products and I highly sudgest any GV2 owner get their performance upgrade kit that includes front and rear shock towers, battery strap and steering rack. While you're at it get the motor mount plate. This weekend when I was rebuilding my buggy, I noticed the aluminum motor mount plate was bent slightly, (no wonder I was experiencing spur gear wear)

I have been running this buggy for about 3 seasons now, so obviously things will wear out, but that being said the durability of the car is not an issue for me.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah Josh I had all of the Diggity stuff on my last GV2. I was running the 4mm towers, but for some reason the rear tower is 4mm taller than the stock so it made my car ride like one of those tail dragging 64 impala low riders. I wanted to email Diggity and see if they could make some 4mm thick towers that retain the stock geometry. I have just been running the stock stuff, but I put longer screws through the top of the shock the other way, then a non-lock nut, then the appropriate spacers, then the shock bushing, and finally a lock nut. Basically it is setup like a Losi or Associated. Get rid of the stock Academy screws as they bend too easy. The Stainless ones that come with the Diggity stuff bend too.

Yesterday was the opening day for the indoor off-road track at amainhobbies. It was so awesome. The facility was really nice and clean. It has a well stocked snackbar, clean bathrooms, and you could order parts and they would go get them for you right then, and they don't charge anything to race. Not to mention amainhobbies is located in Chico, CA which is world famous for Chico State, a HUGE party school, as a result of that there is a hot girl that works the register for the snackbar, and she orders your parts and pulls them from the warehouse for you! As for the track itself, we stayed on slicks all day and had more traction than we knew what to do with. I went from 25 to 27.5 degrees of caster to calm down the steering, and moved my rear hubs forward 1mm to get some more rear traction. By the main my car was dialed. I qualified 5th, and finished 3rd. My car was a bucket though, the shocks are in dire need of a rebuild and my diff is self destructing, so I ordered a bunch of parts while I was there and I am going to rebuild her from the ground up. I am going up 5wt on the oil all the way around and switching to the black Academy springs all the way around. Basically the same setup I was running in Columbus, OH. I have a few more ideas for some stuff I wanna try. It is so nice having such a great facility open up, my desire to race has been renewed. My former "home" track was run so terribly (i'll spare you guys from the details, but if you can imagine a problem, this track had it). The only reason I ran there was because it was the closest electric off-road track. It was the same for most of the racers around here. Yesterday was like being set free, after being enslaved for the last five years (how long I have been running at the other track).
Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Diggity offers a rear shock tower with the same geometry, but not a 4mm thick one. I too have the 4mm thick and taller rear. It takes some of the down travel out of the rear of the car (the GV2 has a lot of down travel) I tested it on the track and noticed the car reacted quicker and had a more direct jumping and turning feel. Everybody drives different though, so maybe it just didn't work for you. I got some ceramic diff balls recently and planning on sending my diff rings to B Fast soon to try and build the perfect diff for this car. I need to get it bullet proofed because I am going to be doubling up stock and mod in the super cup series.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

the GV2 has a noisy drivetrain despite the gearbox and its internals being new, both new spur and pinion gears. so what makes those noises? any possible solution to solve this? thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by alana07
the GV2 has a noisy drivetrain despite the gearbox and its internals being new, both new spur and pinion gears. so what makes those noises? any possible solution to solve this? thanks.
My GV2 is super quiet. I don't know what kind of sounds you are referring to, but I would say to check your gear mesh of the pinion and spur, make sure your diff and slipper are functioning properly and adjusted accordingly. and that everything is bind free and spins smooth and free. Make sure your top shaft isn't bent as well as your motor mount plate, that would definitely make it noisy. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jw_rooster
My GV2 is super quiet. I don't know what kind of sounds you are referring to, but I would say to check your gear mesh of the pinion and spur, make sure your diff and slipper are functioning properly and adjusted accordingly. and that everything is bind free and spins smooth and free. Make sure your top shaft isn't bent as well as your motor mount plate, that would definitely make it noisy. Hope this helps.
its basically a whole gearbox rebuilt with new parts n everything's rolling smoothly. Pinion/spur mesh was spot on as well, just that when the car's running the noise is louder compared to a B4 or RB5...
Old 03-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

anyway you can shoot a vid of it or even just a sound file so we can hear what you are hearing?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

mines been noisy too. my motor plate is a little bent which could be the issue though.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Try a new top shaft. Just an idea.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jw_rooster
Hey fellas with the noisy trannies. Is the gear mesh too tight? Do you lube the gears in the tranny? I NEVER run them dry. This is what I use. AC-1001 Super Speed Gear Lube . It can be found here or thru your local LHS.

http://www.aerocarlubricants.com/

Josh this was the secret that made my stuff soo much faster than yours. Worth the extra second. J/K.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rtraceshop
Try a new top shaft. Just an idea.
Originally Posted by kwiksi
Hey fellas with the noisy trannies. Is the gear mesh too tight? Do you lube the gears in the tranny? I NEVER run them dry. This is what I use. AC-1001 Super Speed Gear Lube . It can be found here or thru your local LHS.

http://www.aerocarlubricants.com/

Josh this was the secret that made my stuff soo much faster than yours. Worth the extra second. J/K.
basically its a whole new gearbox setup, including new motor plate and top shaft...
gear mesh is spot on using the paper-in-between meshing method. internal gears are lubed with HPI's graphite lubricant...
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Legend

maybe your gears need to be ran in a bit?

Here are some pics of the B-Fast ring next to a used standard ring:

As you can see, the B-Fast ring is much flatter surface compared to the stock ring.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Legend

I just rebuilt my first diff with the rings. This is a diff with ceramic diff balls that felt decent previously, more friction but not full on gritty.

With the new rings, I have it tighten down pretty good and its BUTTER smooth.

I am going to build another diff using standard balls and see how that compares.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kwiksi

oh really??? thats funny dave! Too bad you can't bring that new Schumacher down here for me to drive circles around! I would hate for you to get beat by your old team mate (again)

Did you go to rochester with Barron?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

basically its a whole new gearbox setup, including new motor plate and top shaft...
gear mesh is spot on using the paper-in-between meshing method. internal gears are lubed with HPI's graphite lubricant...
I can't think of anything else that could be causing it. Seems like you have the obvious things covered. What kind of pinion spur are you running?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.