Wiki Posts
Search

New ACADEMY 1/10 scale 2WD BUGGY

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I just rebuilt my first diff with the rings. This is a diff with ceramic diff balls that felt decent previously, more friction but not full on gritty.

With the new rings, I have it tighten down pretty good and its BUTTER smooth.

I am going to build another diff using standard balls and see how that compares.
those rings look pretty nice Cain. I have been trying to get the diff in this car perfect....looks like the B Fast stuff might be the way to go. Let me know how it performs and holds up on the track. Are you running a stock thrust setup?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

yes, running stock thrust setup. in one diff, all ceramic balls, in the other, stock stuff.

Both diffs really really good, with the ceramic of course better.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jw_rooster
I can't think of anything else that could be causing it. Seems like you have the obvious things covered. What kind of pinion spur are you running?
its the kit spur and a normal 48dp new pinion, if it helps...

or is there any other way to use B4 or RB5 spurs on this car?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Legend

you try the gears without any lube?

I would say try this:

- clean all the gears off
- use a pick of some kind and scrape the recessed parts of the gears to remove an burs or debris
- reassemble with no lube on gears
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Have you checked the bearings out thoroughly.We had one of ours get a noisy tranny. Replaced all the gears , still noisy.Went through the bearings and one of the outdrive bearings would spin free, but had a couple 'ticks' in it at higher rpms.I just happened to notice it spinning the tranny over by hand after I had re-assembled it for the 3rd time.I sorted out which bearing it was, replaced it, and it was back to quiet as a whisper.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
Have you checked the bearings out thoroughly.We had one of ours get a noisy tranny. Replaced all the gears , still noisy.Went through the bearings and one of the outdrive bearings would spin free, but had a couple 'ticks' in it at higher rpms.I just happened to notice it spinning the tranny over by hand after I had re-assembled it for the 3rd time.I sorted out which bearing it was, replaced it, and it was back to quiet as a whisper.
+1
Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Real quick question, how readily available are parts for this Academy buggy?

This thread is gigantic and its hard to really find the answers I'm looking for. Kyosho is the brand of choice in my parts...and I'm always a fan of going against the grain, but if I can't get parts then it might not be worth it for me.

I don't mind having to order parts, as long as I can get them in a timely fashion.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Legend

common places to order parts from:

Stormer Hobbies
Amainhobbies
Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

common places to order parts from:

Stormer Hobbies
Amainhobbies
dont forget MRC direct.Cain sending you an e-mail.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Legend

correct. MRC Direct works good too.

I think that CarolinasRC also carries some stuff as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Burl Swift
Real quick question, how readily available are parts for this Academy buggy?

This thread is gigantic and its hard to really find the answers I'm looking for. Kyosho is the brand of choice in my parts...and I'm always a fan of going against the grain, but if I can't get parts then it might not be worth it for me.

I don't mind having to order parts, as long as I can get them in a timely fashion.

Thanks in advance.
Cain and 2wd mod got you covered on where to get parts and you shouldn't have any trouble getting them from any of those sources. As far as the thread being huge (yes it is) if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Myself and the rest of the team drivers check this thread pretty much daily and are happy to help.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Legend

Hey guys, went ahead and rebuilt my GV2 Buggy using some Diggity Designs parts. Looks good. Have some extra Diggity parts I won't be using so if you want them, let me know.

ok, here are my questions:

- Whats a good gearing starting point for a 13.5 motor (ballistic)?

- didn't notice this before but when I redid the shocks, I noticed that on uptravel the shaft must have been compressed a lot that it was causing the bladder to invert and be similar to an AE style setup on shocks, and one bladder it had punched threw. I went ahead since I like the bladder in stock configuration added some spacers to limit shock uptravel. Anyone else try this?

- For those using the diggity designs motor plate, what screw lengths did you settle on and did you then just locknut the screws to secure it?

All in all rebuild went great, changed a few screws from the stock types (button head 2mm to 2.5mm cap heads) and man its SO much easier to work with now.

I believe the SCT conversion should be in today, so will get that together too!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, went ahead and rebuilt my GV2 Buggy using some Diggity Designs parts. Looks good. Have some extra Diggity parts I won't be using so if you want them, let me know.

ok, here are my questions:

- Whats a good gearing starting point for a 13.5 motor (ballistic)?

- didn't notice this before but when I redid the shocks, I noticed that on uptravel the shaft must have been compressed a lot that it was causing the bladder to invert and be similar to an AE style setup on shocks, and one bladder it had punched threw. I went ahead since I like the bladder in stock configuration added some spacers to limit shock uptravel. Anyone else try this?

- For those using the diggity designs motor plate, what screw lengths did you settle on and did you then just locknut the screws to secure it?

All in all rebuild went great, changed a few screws from the stock types (button head 2mm to 2.5mm cap heads) and man its SO much easier to work with now.

I believe the SCT conversion should be in today, so will get that together too!
try gearing 74/26, I think that is in the ball park.

I use the bladders down in stock form and always have. I use a 3mm spacer and an extra shock o ring to limit uptravel, no torn bladders.

on the motor plate, I used the screws that were supplied from Diggity and the nuts as well...they thread through the spur side with the nut on the tranny side...use loctite.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by jw_rooster
try gearing 74/26, I think that is in the ball park.

I use the bladders down in stock form and always have. I use a 3mm spacer and an extra shock o ring to limit uptravel, no torn bladders.

on the motor plate, I used the screws that were supplied from Diggity and the nuts as well...they thread through the spur side with the nut on the tranny side...use loctite.
Thanks for the info. My plate was in a large lot of parts. I'll check diggity's site and see if he has a pick of what the nuts look like. How long were the Diggity screws?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info. My plate was in a large lot of parts. I'll check diggity's site and see if he has a pick of what the nuts look like. How long were the Diggity screws?
I just noticed I mistyped...try gearing 74-29

I will have to check the screws to see what size they are, will post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.