Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree769Likes

Team Associated B6.4 and B6.4d

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-19-2023, 08:54 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6.4 and B6.4d
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: artwork
B6.3 / B6.3D and B6.4 / B6.4D Helpful Posts

B6.4 and B6.4D specific parts release list.
https://img2.associatedelectrics.com...Parts-List.pdf

Team Associated 1/10th Shock Length Quick Reference Chart
https://www.rctech.net/forum/showpos...&postcount=955

How to measure Shock Shafts
https://www.rctech.net/forum/showpos...&postcount=956

Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday and Roger M.): What is the difference between 2 gears and 4 gears in the gear diff?
Please read these posts by Roger M. Maybe this has been answered but what are the little orings in diff do for tuning?
Please read these posts by Roger M.
Information on the rear axles and the different length dog bones from Roger M.

The 0 (option) and +2 (kit) axles are for using different length driveshafts with the different arm lengths

Kit +2 axles

73mm arms wih 67mm driveshafts
75mm arms with 69mm driveshafts

Option 0 axles

73mm arms with 65mm driveshafts
75mm arms with 67mm driveshafts

Why would you want to change the driveshaft length?
It is essentially to do with the fact that a drive joint will want to run straight under power and the position of that joint (the pin through the CVA joint into the axle).
The further that CVA joint pin is inboard of the lower hub hingepin (assuming you're running fairly typical outer link positions) the more bind you will generate in the suspension as the drive joint tried to straighten under power, this extra binding will 'stiffen' the suspension as it adds load on top of that from the weight transfer on the car.
Conversely the the nearer the CVA joint pin is to lower hub hinge pin the less bind and thus freer suspension movement.

When would you want to change this?

Basically on bumpy tracks, tracks with inconsistent grip or lower grip you want the suspension to be as free to move as possible so that you get the full benefit from the shock and roll centre tuning, also the car feels like it has more grip in the areas where you go on/off/on the gas.
To this end you will be running the longest possible dog bone you can for the arm length, hence why the +2 axles are in the kit.

On smooth super high grip tracks (EOS / CRC carpet for example) running a shorter dogbone will feel like it takes grip away from the rear as you get on power, aiding late corner rotation and reducing the on-power understeer that often plagues tight carpet tracks.
The only time I would run the 0 axles is with 67mm dogbones on 75mm arms and only then when I wish I could get let rear toe than the 1deg minimum we can get from the pills we have (actually I had custom pill made so I can get 0deg rear toe for those types of tracks but ...)

What are the handling differences between the 73 and 75mm arms.
Brief explanation from RogerM (thanks!)

The arm length effects the roll centre and more significantly the roll centre migration as the car rolls in the corners.

Shorter rear arms will encourage more tire loading so more grip as the car rolls, great for lower grip surfaces but on high grip surfaces they can stall the rotation mid corner costing corner speed. They can also make the car feel more reactive which is good when a low grip level makes the car feel less reactive so making it harder to place in technical sections.

Long rear arms the opposite, car will rotate more freely for more corner speed but won't generate as much side-bite so mid/late corner will be reduced. Make the car feel naturally lazier which is great on high grip surfaces as it makes the car easier to drive overall.

So the long Vs short rear arm is just like the flat Vs gullwing front arm, all about the grip level from the surface and how technical the track layout is.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pistol123
While lowering the CofG will help you don't often read of people experiencing traction rolling with modern cars so I would suggest it's a setup issue. Have a look at the carpet setup as it is probably generating too much traction, lengthening the top links, harder springs and thicker oil will help.

As mentioned, the extra weight is about getting the front to grip and rear to rotate.

Good luck
Maybe start with adjusting Roll Center?? especially the rear i would think, correct me if i'm wrong.
MrLean likes this.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StephenR
I do. To my knowledge, the B6.4 with the kit setup (minus sway bars and a 7k 2 gear diff) is the way to go. I'll be getting one this week to replace my B6.2. For that track, schumacher mezzo rear tires and low profile cut staggers are the tires of choice. A Hobbywing justock esc is good enough for getting started and running for a while. 29 tooth pinion and 72 tooth spur is the standard there. If your just coming back, then most 17.5 motors will be good enough to get you into the groove. Radio Control Hobbies and Raceway (RCHR) has everything mentioned above and everything else for you to get up and running. They race 17.5 buggy on Wednesdays at 7PM and Saturdays at 5PM.
Thanks!
Old 01-19-2023, 11:54 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bicycle019
They come with the x rings and machined internals, you can skip those and drop $20 from the cost. Still not a cheap upgrade if you are buying a full shock set from scratch.
FYI I got the shock conversion here, they don't come with any xrings, just the machined internals.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Any new carpet setups or new things to try? I have been running the Brent Theilke setup from the JConcepts race for a while bu think i could use some tuning.
My local track just got new commercial grade office carpet and have been toldit has ok grip so far.
I ran yesterday on Astroturf and it was horrible. It was the worst the buggy has every been even though i was running the same tires as everyone else.
What are some things you would change if your buggy was lacking grip front and rear, almost a four wheel drift.
The first thing i did was take out the 6.1 D block and add 3deg rear toe, helped very little, and still had little steering.
I also should have taken out the direct drive and installed my slipper, didnt have enought time running two classes and no time between rounds.
Any helpful advice?

Thanks as always.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ollie 45
Any new carpet setups or new things to try? I have been running the Brent Theilke setup from the JConcepts race for a while bu think i could use some tuning.
My local track just got new commercial grade office carpet and have been toldit has ok grip so far.
I ran yesterday on Astroturf and it was horrible. It was the worst the buggy has every been even though i was running the same tires as everyone else.
What are some things you would change if your buggy was lacking grip front and rear, almost a four wheel drift.
The first thing i did was take out the 6.1 D block and add 3deg rear toe, helped very little, and still had little steering.
I also should have taken out the direct drive and installed my slipper, didnt have enought time running two classes and no time between rounds.
Any helpful advice?

Thanks as always.
If you can post your setup it might help people offer some advice, not all astro is high grip and running the 6.1d to give you zero rear toe is really only for very high grip carpet with cactus tyres that lock the rear in.
Have you tried the kit setup with largrr pistons and no anti roll bars, should drive nicrly on astro.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pistol123
If you can post your setup it might help people offer some advice, not all astro is high grip and running the 6.1d to give you zero rear toe is really only for very high grip carpet with cactus tyres that lock the rear in.
Have you tried the kit setup with largrr pistons and no anti roll bars, should drive nicrly on astro.
https://site.petitrc.com/setup/assoc...tland20220109/
This is my current setup.
The first thing i did was to put the 6.4 D-block back on with 3deg of rear toe, i also unhooked the front sway bar.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Loving this car on black carpet with Jconcepts tires!

We are currently using the kit setting on the rear link: center hole inside with 4mm under ballstud, 2mm under outer stud with 2mm spacers.

Saw a local fast guy is running 2mm under the inside stud (kit mount, not the +2 FT mount), with the outer mount reversed and 1mm of spacers (I believe this would make the link 3mm longer?)

What would those two changes do on the track?
Old 01-25-2023, 03:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrLean

We are currently using the kit setting on the rear link: center hole inside with 4mm under ballstud, 2mm under outer stud with 2mm spacers.

Saw a local fast guy is running 2mm under the inside stud (kit mount, not the +2 FT mount), with the outer mount reversed and 1mm of spacers (I believe this would make the link 3mm longer?)

My speculations is The longer link should improve rear traction through the turn along with making it a bit more progressive. Essentially it allows the rear end to be able to have more body roll but on the flip side not running the +2 FT mount keeps the inside of the link a little bit lower which aids in stability and adds more resistance to body roll compared to your setup.

Everything is a compromise.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

What track? RC One?
Old 01-25-2023, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

What track? RC One?
Yes
Old 01-26-2023, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Right now i have the steel bulkhead at 25deg, what change would i feel if i put the 0 deg aluminum bulkhead on.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Right now i have the steel bulkhead at 25deg, what change would i feel if i put the 0 deg aluminum bulkhead on.
A point to note, on the old bulkheads labelled 25' and 30', if use them on the b6m4 chassis you need to think of 25 as -2.5' and 30 as +2.5' due to chassis kickup going from 27.5' to 22.5'.

If you have your steal bulkhead with 25' at front then you will only have 20' of total kickup, try turning it around to give you 25' kick up (confusing I know).

Others things to look at would be removing a rear inner camber link washer and moving you wishbones forward to lock the rear in more.

RogerM likes this.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I mixed myself up. deleted it. I was thinking about the 20deg block they had out also mixes things up even more.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

I understand the 6.4 +2 front axle is the same height as the 6.3 +3 height....is the difference in the new caster block or the new steering block?

I'm wanting to try the 6.4 caster with 6.3 steering block combo to make the front wider on carpet, and need to know how to achieve kit 6.4 +2 setting, thanks! (this worked well on the truck)
Old 02-03-2023, 11:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

I understand the 6.4 +2 front axle is the same height as the 6.3 +3 height....is the difference in the new caster block or the new steering block?

I'm wanting to try the 6.4 caster with 6.3 steering block combo to make the front wider on carpet, and need to know how to achieve kit 6.4 +2 setting, thanks! (this worked well on the truck)
The difference is in the height of the steering spindle, maybe try lowering the caster with the zero hub inserts first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.