Search
Like Tree155Likes

Future of 1/8 E Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 10:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Future of 1/8 E Buggy?

Hi.

What do you think and see as the future of 1/8th electric buggy?

Will the class grow or will nitro always be the class with the most drivers? Even if they keep putting regulations on nitro fuel.

What kind of technical improvements could be done to the class if you could wish?

Anyone that has both nitro and electric car that prefers the electric one?

Would love to see a discussion and hear you thoughts.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here in Idaho ebuggy has been the biggest class overall for years. We can have up to 20 ebuggy entries while nitro is dwindling. Our last race had like 3 entries for nitro buggy.

Personally as a former nitro buggy racer, (long before ebuggies were a thing) I can't stand nitro. I want to just charge my packs, run my 7 - 10 minute mains and go home lol.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

I don’t know that there could be any significant “technical” improvements that can be made to the cars - heck, all of the major brands are pretty much using the same parts between their Nitro/Electric counterparts now, save for the parts unique to each powertrain. I suppose that advancements will continue to be made in terms of motor efficiency and battery output on the electric side.

Keep in mind that 1/8th Nitro has a World Championship title, the electric classes don’t. There’s a certain allure for up and coming drivers when you know that there’s a significant goal/dream to shoot for.

That being said, electric has its conveniences. As mentioned above, it all depends on where you race. I think that E-buggy/Truggy will always have its loyal following, and it seems to me like a lot of people run both anyway. It’s certainly economically feasible, given the parts share.
RCDaddy2105 likes this.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 08-08-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Here in central Texas, eBuggy is far more popular for regular club racing, 37 electric buggy to 20 nitro buggy for a recent series race, nitro is hit and miss for regular club races and sometimes they don't even have enough entries to make a nitro class at all.

The bigger issue I see is that nitro isn't sustainable because they need an extra pit man which limits the number of classes people can run. I often help a friend to be his pit man, and that usually means I can only run 1 electric class instead of 2 classes just so I can pit for him... that hurts turnout for the program because that's fewer entries. Something needs to be figured out on how to reduce the number of pit men necessary to free up drivers to increase turnout. The way I see it, nitro is killing club level RC, doh!

Now the big races are a completely different story... when there's at least 10+ heats, then there's no problem getting enough folks to pit the nitros.
AHR43, Furadi and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When are electronic fuel injection and onboard starters coming to nitro engines? That would go a long ways to helping things.
LoudOne and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Nitro is the glory!
RCDaddy2105 likes this.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do you guys think that better Lipos and cooling in the future could lead to longer mains?

Old 08-09-2021, 07:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jurassic579
Hi.

What do you think and see as the future of 1/8th electric buggy?

Will the class grow or will nitro always be the class with the most drivers? Even if they keep putting regulations on nitro fuel.

What kind of technical improvements could be done to the class if you could wish?

Anyone that has both nitro and electric car that prefers the electric one?

Would love to see a discussion and hear you thoughts.
The future of 1/8 E Buggy is quite promising. It is inevitable 1/8 E bug will displace its nitro counterpart at the world championship level. Once that action is finalized, E bug will become the type-of-choice for most competitors in the 1/8 buggy class.

Factors external of the sport are driving a move away from IC to EV. This is occurring rapidly in 1:1 and the trickle down to RC is assured. Reluctantly, I come to this assessment as I have raced 1/8 nitro bug in the past. So, yeah, 1/8 E bug has a solid future in front of it.

'AC'

Last edited by AHR43; 08-09-2021 at 01:51 PM. Reason: drop a word
Old 08-09-2021, 07:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jkurz211
Nitro is the glory!
lol, but ebuggy pays the bills

At our track there was one nitro last month and none this month. I have heard that there are fuel restrictions coming in Europe. Like other classes, it seems to vary from track to track. I doubt it will disappear though.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Tech Lord

https://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lo...onroad-v2.html

https://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-...dying-off.html

Racing out of Class

Club Support for RTR / Out of Box Racing?

https://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lo...oad-2020s.html

Old 08-09-2021, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Depending on your area I have seen a rise in Ebuggy & Etruggy classes here in Wisconsin and even when I lived back in Ohio, the electric classes were bigger.
Back in June our track in Wisconsin held Nats Warm-up race and there was more Ebuggies than Nitro. Our club races we typically have over 150 entries and last race 73 of them were Ebuggy.

So alot depends on your area and tracks around you.

Not sure what else could change on these almost every brand is pushing what you can currently do with them and now most are able to switch between Elec & Nitro with their brand conversion parts.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by billdelong
The bigger issue I see is that nitro isn't sustainable because they need an extra pit man which limits the number of classes people can run. I often help a friend to be his pit man, and that usually means I can only run 1 electric class instead of 2 classes just so I can pit for him... that hurts turnout for the program because that's fewer entries. Something needs to be figured out on how to reduce the number of pit men necessary to free up drivers to increase turnout.
Actually, this part is relatively easy to solve. You know that ramp pit lane thingy that they use for pits? Make it higher so that it comes up to the driver's stand, and let the driver perform the pit stop themself.

Couple this to the guy who suggested EFI and onboard starter and I think it might make nitro a whole lot more easier....
Old 08-09-2021, 12:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
Actually, this part is relatively easy to solve. You know that ramp pit lane thingy that they use for pits? Make it higher so that it comes up to the driver's stand, and let the driver perform the pit stop themself.

Couple this to the guy who suggested EFI and onboard starter and I think it might make nitro a whole lot more easier....
Might be a saftey issue there. Some of these track have very high drivers stands.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Might be a saftey issue there. Some of these track have very high drivers stands.
I have seen very high drivers stand, most of them do not need to be that high. this is a very interesting thread. keep productive comments coming . keep going guys.
I run both, prefer Nitro, but for convenience e-buggy by far. Cost to operate this class of vehicles must also be considered as well.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default YES

Originally Posted by Jurassic579
Do you guys think that better Lipos and cooling in the future could lead to longer mains?
of course eventually the batteries are going to stop evolving but right now they just keep getting better and better
RCDaddy2105 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.