Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Club Support for RTR / Out of Box Racing? >

Club Support for RTR / Out of Box Racing?

Like Tree14Likes

Club Support for RTR / Out of Box Racing?

Old 03-23-2021, 10:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Club Support for RTR / Out of Box Racing?

After weeks of research, I finally decided what class I would enter into 1/10 on-road racing, or so I thought. I just found out my local track will be running a class specifically for new beginners called Hobby Stock. The class is based on the Traxxas 4-Tec, BRUSHED motor chassis. I like the fact that everyone will be using the same motor and chassis. It should hopefully make for some close racing. I will be at the track this weekend to learn more about it. So far, it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

VTA is the class that got me interested in racing 1/10 on-road. The slower speeds, being able to learn chassis setup and scale detail of the bodies ticked all the boxes. I was originally looking into a TT-02 chassis to get started, but was advised to go for a belt drive with adjustable suspension instead. The advice was sound, so I started searching for everything that would give me the best bang for my buck. As a beginner, my goal is to learn how to drive cleanly on the track while having fun. I gave myself a budget of around $600 and started crunching the numbers. Using an XQ2S as the base, adding mid-grade electronics, LiPo battery, balance charger, ONE set of wheels, tires, and a body, the total was close to $850.00 (without transponder). The BRUSHED 4-Tec kit w/o body from my LHS is $205.95. Add another $180 for a decent quality LiPo, balance charger and body and I'm ready to roll for under $400 or around $500-$600 range to add a mid-grade Tx, Rx and servo. That's a huge value for everything I need in learning to drive a clean line with or without traffic, IMHO.

My takeaway is the industry does provide more affordable RTR options geared for beginner racers. My question is how much support is there at the club level for this class of racing? I've read some posts saying that spec classes like Euro Truck died out and that adding another "slower and beginner friendly" TC class is not the way to go. I guess it all comes down to individual goals and how much time and money one wants to invest to achieve them. My goal(s) is stated above and I'm happy I don't have to spend over $800 to make it happen. I'm even happier that my local track has chosen to support this form of RTR racing. They can count on my support as well!

Cheers.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This type of class has been tried again and again, and usually ends up going a few different ways. One is that people just get bored of it as they outgrow the speed, and either buy a completely new setup since most of the equipment can't be used in another class, or the class eventually starts allowing upgrades etc. The short course truck class started as a Traxxas Slash class, for example. Or in some cases the RTR kit is discontinued which means another suitable kit is chosen, or it gets disbanded.
Billy Kelly and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My 2 cents.
1- If you don't have a consistent flow of new people to race the class it will die. People will get better and bump up to better classes.

2- My other issue with RTR classes is that the chassis is only useful (competitive) for that class and bashing. Whereas if you invested in (I don't want to say) real chassis, it would grow with you versus the XQ2S, which you could run in all the touring car classes top to bottom. VTA, USGT, TC (13.5, 17.5, 21.5, 25.5 Mod) with just a change of wheels tires and motor. I won't recommend a class that you have to shelve or sell all or most of the kit to bump up to the next class.

I have the same gripe with areas running 2S GT12. When you want to bump up to one of the faster 12th scale classes you have to replace half of your electronics with 1s compatible.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The 4-tec 2.0 is a great platform for RTR racing. After seeing these cars racing in a class of their own, they really are very durable. And with a little bit of effort and upgrades they can even be setup to run in VTA at a competitive pace. The only drawback with these cars is that they are heavy compared to many other touring cars. The kits also come with tires than may or may not be the best suited for local track conditions. Thankfully there are plenty of inexpensive spec touring car tires available that can improve the racing in any RTR class.

The key to RTR classes is to keep the negative or ultra competitive people from influencing the rules of this type of class. You can already see by some of the comments here in the thread with people predicting this class will fail when they will probably never race at your track or this type of class. Not every r/c class needs to have "good" equipment. Not every person needs to own a fully adjustable touring car that can compete in every class. And not every person will understand why these types of classes can be fun.

The main key to successful RTR classes is the people racing or running the class. As long as the people involved with this class have fun and/or improve their skills on the track classes like this can last a very long time. Also when people help the slower people get better or help the people that are struggling, these classes are great.

Good luck and I hope you have fun!!
Old 03-28-2021, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

VTA is a great class. (I don't run it because I'm set up for pan cars). A friend of mine is competitive in a Traxxas 4tec, but he's an engineer and spends WAY too much time figuring everything out and has a ton of aftermarket parts. He's moving up to a Sakura chassis. Even with buying your electronics new, you could buy a good 1-2 season old touring car for a quite reasonable price. Go hang out at the track and talk to people. Someone will have one for sale or know of one. Just check it over and if it looks abused it probably has been. Chassis are easier to buy used than electronics. Buy the car that is in the majority at your track. It REALLY helps for spare parts and setups. I carry a ton of spares but it never fails that I don't have the one thing I need.
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

IndyRC_Racer nailed it. is one the reasons why people stay away from RC and racing. They are basically stating, "oh, you have an RTR, well you're not good enough to play with us you loser basher." Their comments and people like them keep people away from the track, they are the reason why there are threads like "reviving on road", people like that don't get that they are the problem and that they are they reason RC is dying, because they are unable to be inclusive. People like them are part of the reason why I decided that investing in a race setup is a waste of money and why I decided to spend my money outside of RC.

What people forget is that in the early 2000's the chassis most of us were racing could be bought as an RTR and could be put on the track with a tire change. It would make racing a lot easier to get into if something like the TC3 or XXXs was still around.

Soul Surfer Don't let the naysayers get you down. If your local track is running that class and it's something you want to do, then do it. Best of luck and have a great time.
phattracker likes this.

Last edited by J.Whiting; 04-06-2021 at 07:37 AM. Reason: insulting others
Old 04-03-2021, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Soul Surfer If you are still considering a 4-Tec to race, you should head over to the Traxxas forum. D

https://forums.traxxas.com/

Last edited by J.Whiting; 04-06-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

You think?
Sounds like: "Oh hey,I have a Fiat Panda and I want to race it" And then complain there is no class for it beside F1, F2, F3, Formula Ford, GT3, GT4, LeMans, Porsche GT cup and so on...... OK, you may enter a destruction derby
And ofcourse there is no way to do a small change on the car like a 17.5T spec setup to run in a excisting class..
All arround the world the electric onroad is facing too many classes and still people are whining there is no class for them.

And yes, om my club it is the same, a dad and son whining there is no starters class for them and somehouw they created one beside the 5 other electric classes we have. Sad that the Covid prevents to run clubraces, I would love to see that only those 2 are getting bored to run on clubraces.
Marcos.J likes this.

Last edited by J.Whiting; 04-06-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
You think?
Sounds like: "Oh hey,I have a Fiat Panda and I want to race it" And then complain there is no class for it beside F1, F2, F3, Formula Ford, GT3, GT4, LeMans, Porsche GT cup and so on...... OK, you may enter a destruction derby
And ofcourse there is no way to do a small change on the car like a 17.5T spec setup to run in a excisting class..
All arround the world the electric onroad is facing too many classes and still people are whining there is no class for them.

And yes, om my club it is the same, a dad and son whining there is no starters class for them and somehouw they created one beside the 5 other electric classes we have. Sad that the Covid prevents to run clubraces, I would love to see that only those 2 are getting bored to run on clubraces.
why?, because there are people racing chassis' that are over a decade old and those people racing those old chassis' are still competitive and they win with those old chassis' as well.Let people race what they want to race. Not everyone can afford to spend $500+ on just a chassis. Some people only have a grand total of $400 to spend on their complete race set up. There was a time when a majority of the people racing on road were racing a chassis that could be purchased as an RTR. Get this through your thick heads or continue to watch on road die. The best thing that could happen for on road would be a shoot out. Find a good driver and do a shoot out at a track between a 4-Tec, a dialed Tamiya, and a $500+ chassis. My bet is that the difference between lap times between the Tamiya and the $500+ chassis won't be enough to justify the cost of the chassis. I think this point can be further driven in if you put all three cars in the hands of an average driver and compare lap times. My bet is that the average driver puts down the same lap time with the Tamiya and $500+ chassis.
What part of this don't you people understand? Stop alienating people based on what chassis they want to run.

My first on road set up was a used TC3, a JR XS3, and a used LRP ESC. I purchased everything I needed for right around $400-500 and I had a competitive chassis that I could grow with, but unfortunately chassis' like the TC3 and XXXs are not common place anymore, because everyone thinks they need a $500+ carbon fiber chassis to be competitive and that type of investment is a non starter for most of us. The truth is most of these racers with their $500+ chassis would be just as fast with a dialed in Tamiya.

Last edited by J.Whiting; 04-06-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soul Surfer View Post
After weeks of research, I finally decided what class I would enter into 1/10 on-road racing, or so I thought. I just found out my local track will be running a class specifically for new beginners called Hobby Stock. The class is based on the Traxxas 4-Tec, BRUSHED motor chassis. I like the fact that everyone will be using the same motor and chassis. It should hopefully make for some close racing. I will be at the track this weekend to learn more about it. So far, it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

VTA is the class that got me interested in racing 1/10 on-road. The slower speeds, being able to learn chassis setup and scale detail of the bodies ticked all the boxes. I was originally looking into a TT-02 chassis to get started, but was advised to go for a belt drive with adjustable suspension instead. The advice was sound, so I started searching for everything that would give me the best bang for my buck. As a beginner, my goal is to learn how to drive cleanly on the track while having fun. I gave myself a budget of around $600 and started crunching the numbers. Using an XQ2S as the base, adding mid-grade electronics, LiPo battery, balance charger, ONE set of wheels, tires, and a body, the total was close to $850.00 (without transponder). The BRUSHED 4-Tec kit w/o body from my LHS is $205.95. Add another $180 for a decent quality LiPo, balance charger and body and I'm ready to roll for under $400 or around $500-$600 range to add a mid-grade Tx, Rx and servo. That's a huge value for everything I need in learning to drive a clean line with or without traffic, IMHO.

My takeaway is the industry does provide more affordable RTR options geared for beginner racers. My question is how much support is there at the club level for this class of racing? I've read some posts saying that spec classes like Euro Truck died out and that adding another "slower and beginner friendly" TC class is not the way to go. I guess it all comes down to individual goals and how much time and money one wants to invest to achieve them. My goal(s) is stated above and I'm happy I don't have to spend over $800 to make it happen. I'm even happier that my local track has chosen to support this form of RTR racing. They can count on my support as well!

Cheers.
In the end, this is a track by track issue. I have seen other tracks have "TT02" class. The guy running the track has to take initiative and pick something and run it, whether it's one make, one class ("plastic tubs only") or "novice - run what you brung"

Nothing seems to work everywhere. The industry just wants to make sales, so they don't care to work with each other.

Any class I have seen become popular nation wide starts by local participation. This spreads when others see it and want to do the same. It rarely can be forced upon people, and success usually follows adjustments and course corrections before an idea really spreads.

BTW offroad has always been more popular. When I started racing in 1988 I knew of 2 offroad tracks within 15 minutes of my house. There were 2 or 3 more within a 45 minute drive. There was one on road track I came to know of but it was maybe 45 minutes from me. There might have been more, but offroad was in your face at that point.
sugs and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

First of all you look it from your side, I from my side and with over 30 years a member of clubs I have seen everything and not only with electrics. I have raced with an oldtimer between serious racers and still won several races. And why do you think you need a 500 dollar chassis? When you look arround you will find a 150 dollar 2018/2019 Xray T4, that is still more a car than a fresh TA07. In offroad you can run older cars much better because it comes more to the driver than with onroad.

The problem you do not want to see is that electric onroad has become a mess with all those drivers wanting an own class.because the excisting options are too slow, too fast, to technical, have too many experienced drivers, has no chance for A main final etc. Where will it end in the amount of options?

I agree that there has to be a step in class but no way that is must be based on a certain car. People who want to step in want to use what they have with maybe a slight investment on a mandatoty motor., and when they want to drive more competive with better rules then there are many classes to choose from and if you have or want to buy a Tamiya, go race the Tamiya cup.

Last edited by J.Whiting; 04-06-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been racing for only a few years. I represent the newbs! I practically am one. I bought a RTR before going to the track. I chucked the electronics and bought electronics legal for VTA. I chucked the body and tire and bought a body and tires to run VTA. ... and the car sucked. I try to race and it's a joke. I see that my car isn't like all of the other cars and picked up a used XRAY chassis and I instantly start doing better. I could have run it in the "Run what you brung class" novice class but why? The chassis would suck in any other class. It's not my fault that the RTR cars are so different than the kits now. This isn't Y2K any more. There are plenty of cheap kit options from Chinese brands that are competitive. I would never recommend anyone to go through what I did and piss money down the drain buying garbage.

Last edited by mrreet2001; 04-06-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

_e_w_ you need to chill out with this Xray vendetta itís getting old I read every single of your post and it seems to be that toy have a huge chip on your shoulder with Xray and you even admitted that you donít race.

you need to move on and like Elsa says

Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

be nice or you might end up with some time off.. good discussions are welcome but insulting others is not welcome on threads. thank you
Marcos.J and racer1812 like this.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

"End well this will not"

-Yoda
Marcos.J and mrreet2001 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.