Reviving electric onroad V2 >

Reviving electric onroad V2

Like Tree88Likes

Reviving electric onroad V2

Old 01-25-2021, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Reviving electric onroad V2

Since someone decided to ruin the previous discussion by spamming and getting that closed, I thought I would start a new one. This is for meaningful discussion of what can be done to get electric onroad back to the forefront again,. This isn't for promoting your track (that's what the Racing Forum and Regional Forums are for). Spam will be reported and appropriate punishment rendered by the moderators. So let's try this again...for b-man and the others who started the previous discussion
Old 01-25-2021, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

In your own words.........

"I try to be respectful to everyone but with all due respect, I've found you to be one of the most negative people in this discussion. Most everyone else has at least tried to bring something to the table to further the topic, but all you seem to do is talk about why this or that won't work or how it won't work in your situation and on and on. If youre going to talk about why something won't or can't work, how about adding a solution that you think can work or that can be fleshed out?"

Deeds not words that's how you will revive electric on-road

Old 01-25-2021, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Does it really have to just pertain to on road? I know on road is suffering, but anything people can do for the hobby in general seems it would be good. Currently I am working with 2 people, one is a friend of mine, was actually my best man at my wedding and the other is a 15 year old kid that is the son of someone I work with. My friend I just try to get him out to the on road track as much as I can to drive my spare car which is setup for vta. The kid, I asked his mother if he could come over to my house over the weekend and I spent 5 hours with him going through basic maintenance and answering a ton of questions about RC. He just bought a used 4wd buggy and is in need of some help. I may actually go dust off my 2wd buggy just to go race with him a few times so he can get more acclimated to the hobby. Even thinking about buying a 4wd buggy. The point is, just do what you can. When the new guys come and check the track out, be nice, say hello. Don't always flood them with info though, sometimes you scare them away!

Also, this hobby is expensive, if you got older electronics that you don't use, think about borrowing them out to new racers, or even racers that want to run another class. I borrow out motors, esc's, servo's, batteries. Sometimes they don't make it back, but whatever. I have a full extra MMXA setup and ready to go that I am trying to let someone borrow so we can have another guy in the touring car class. The kid that came over this weekend, I sent him home with a bunch of stuff I don't use anymore. So if you have the means, instead of getting pennies on the dollar for your used stuff, let someone else use it.
trackdesigner71 and jiml like this.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
Does it really have to just pertain to on road? I know on road is suffering, but anything people can do for the hobby in general seems it would be good. Currently I am working with 2 people, one is a friend of mine, was actually my best man at my wedding and the other is a 15 year old kid that is the son of someone I work with. My friend I just try to get him out to the on road track as much as I can to drive my spare car which is setup for vta. The kid, I asked his mother if he could come over to my house over the weekend and I spent 5 hours with him going through basic maintenance and answering a ton of questions about RC. He just bought a used 4wd buggy and is in need of some help. I may actually go dust off my 2wd buggy just to go race with him a few times so he can get more acclimated to the hobby. Even thinking about buying a 4wd buggy. The point is, just do what you can. When the new guys come and check the track out, be nice, say hello. Don't always flood them with info though, sometimes you scare them away!

Also, this hobby is expensive, if you got older electronics that you don't use, think about borrowing them out to new racers, or even racers that want to run another class. I borrow out motors, esc's, servo's, batteries. Sometimes they don't make it back, but whatever. I have a full extra MMXA setup and ready to go that I am trying to let someone borrow so we can have another guy in the touring car class. The kid that came over this weekend, I sent him home with a bunch of stuff I don't use anymore. So if you have the means, instead of getting pennies on the dollar for your used stuff, let someone else use it.
I bolded this part because I am all for it. That's one of the impetuses (sp?) behind the group I created on FB, I want to be able to get vehicles (new and if necessary gently used) and be able to outfit them so that new people and curious passers-by can try them out and hopefully the bug bites them. Putting on a great product can help things too. I think I told this story in the other discussion, but a gentleman came by during the region race at my home track, and he was so impressed with what he saw he bought two fully outfitted 2WD buggies, one for him and one for his kids (I guess they are gonna share the second one I dunno). I also agree that not overwhelming new people with information is a good thing too. Im lucky to have guys at the track who can walk me through things and if I need them to slow down, they are happy to just to make sure I get the information.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

I wondered what happened to the old thread. Folks any hobby can be expensive- it just depends on how much you want to spend on YOUR hobby.I can only speak for what I know here in Florida and my neck of the woods. The guy that sells Express and 3Racing is competitive and Express has a very good Driver here in Florida.You can go to their site and see who I'm talking about. RC goes in cycles here. the current cycle in my home town is dirt oval and off road BUT we might have a onroad/oval track and drag strip all in one place. My biggest advise for establishing a track is find a Shopping center and get permition- You'll need insurance-ROAR is the cheapest. Or if you want to get the city or town involved it will take alot of work to get them to give you some land to build a track or a place to race.
Down here Oval is dead except one place in Florida. Again if any of you out there want more info on what I 've done with my city or shopping centers I'll be glad to help you. But it does take alot of work but the end result is you'll have a place to race. Then it talking to the hobbyshops and get them involve. Some will help and others won't.
By the way I don't race any TC vehicles- strictly On-Road Pan Cars (GT12 and F1)

Old 01-25-2021, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Does anybody think rental cars are a good idea? I don't think you will make any money on them, but how much do you need to charge in order keep the car working and with tires, body, and fixing broken parts? Bodies can really take a beating from new drivers. But even at that, you still need interest, and sometimes that is hard to find. I work with about 10 engineers and I can't get a single one out to the track. And I have tried!
Old 01-25-2021, 01:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does anybody think rental cars are a good idea? I don't think you will make any money on them, but how much do you need to charge in order keep the car working and with tires, body, and fixing broken parts? Bodies can really take a beating from new drivers. But even at that, you still need interest, and sometimes that is hard to find. I work with about 10 engineers and I can't get a single one out to the track. And I have tried!
I’ve seen 3 tracks that had off road rentals. They would rent them out for an hour on practice days. No rentals for racing. The one track almost made more off rentals then racing at one point. I’ve not seen one with road cars for rent.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have loaner cars at my local carpet track. The track owner usually insists that someone try driving a car on the track before they buy something.....especially if they haven't run on black carpet before. Mind you, this is for people that really want to buy a race car and get started. We don't offer free samples to anyone that happens to wander in......because.....

We hosted a party for a local chapter of a Jaguar owners group....built a couple cars complete with Jag USGT bodies fro the group to play with. It was utter mayhem and destruction for both the cars and the track. Broken track barriers.....broken cars. Not a single person showed any interest in RC after that day. If the goal is to grow the number of people that come to the organized on road races and participate in the race program, I don't see how renting cars to people off the street will help much. It might fly with off road types but on road cars and tracks are a bit too fragile.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the unwashed masses want MINDLESS, EASY fun. We are contemplating the installation of a slot drag track to lure people in. Some guys will get ate up with it and take it super serious.....some will just squeeze the trigger and giggle. However, they will all get exposed to the RC carpet track and hopefully a few will wander over and give it a real try.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Here's the thing with rental cars. You can make money on them, but you also need to have cars in stock that people can then take home so that the next person can take a loaner out for a spin. Also, these aren't cars to be raced either. Someone wants to run for say 30 minutes, they get a loaner, pay the track fee, if they decide to charge for the car or the time they can, and they return the car when they are done (except on race day, the cars wouldn't be available I would reckon during racing action). The idea behind them is to give them a chance to try RC out with minimal investment, and if they catch the bug, then they can (like that gentleman I mentioned above) get whatever setup strikes their fancy, and the shop could work with them on that. If a $15-25 loaner leads to a $6-800 order, it will be worth it. It then comes down to having vehicles in stock for them to consider and take home.
The other thing that I think needs to be factored into the idea of having loaner cars, is someone maybe being available to "coach" or work with them while they are on the track. Obviously, the regular racers are generally there to work on their own vehicles, but as long as there isn't racing going on, I'm sure they could give up a few minutes to work with someone new to the hobby to help them navigate the track, and if they end up getting full-on into the hobby, I'm sure they can give some time to learn the basics as well.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

I think the problem with the Radio Control Industry in general is that it's not marketed properly. What we "play" with are advertised as toys and the fact that 1:1 car set up can be learned, physics/geometry apply, mechanics/working with your hands, teamwork, bringing people/strangers together to socialize, family oriented, fabrication, design, hand/eye coordination, etc are all overlooked and not considered when we & the powers that be try and promote racing and RC to others is part of the problem.

Radio Control can be used as a learning tool, but no one takes that approach. After school programs can be started and science classes can integrate RC into their curriculum. In my opinion, it's pretty simple, stop marketing RC as a toy and promote the skills that can be gained and the knowledge learned from participating in the hobby and a race program.

I also think that there is a much bigger problem in the US. Most of the population in the US doesn't care about racing of any type. F1 has been trying for years to break into the US mainstream market with little success, so I think the attitude in the US towards racing needs to change a bit as well. From my point of view when people in the US think racing they think NASCAR and white trash (no offense).

Last edited by RCTecher1337; 01-25-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As someone not new to RC, but new to on road racing; i can say something that might turn off a new comer are the classes. 17.5 sedan, USGT, 2WD MINI, GT SPEC, VTA; then tack 21.5, 17.5, 13.5, spec tires, blinky, spec motor..etc after all of these.... i think to a new comer this can be a bit discouraging because it doesn't mean anything to them. Sure, a quick google search of these things explains it, but even then i don't think its super clear.

A good example, google search "rc touring car 17.5 sedan" . There is no direct link that explains exactly what that is! Again, we can figure it out, but a new comer probably not. Funny thing is the first links are for RCTech. Perhaps a sticky thread to this forum that explains clearly and conciesly all the types of on road racing classes available would be helpful. And eventually that thread will end up the top link off Google. On top of that; clubs / tracks and in the mentioned sticky post should have recomendations for starter cars or classes. I think most of the Tamiya classes are very easy to get started in. Euro Truck, Mini and even TT01/02 classes are easy for newbies. But maybe 17.5 sedan not so much.
sws626 likes this.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
As someone not new to RC, but new to on road racing; i can say something that might turn off a new comer are the classes. 17.5 sedan, USGT, 2WD MINI, GT SPEC, VTA; then tack 21.5, 17.5, 13.5, spec tires, blinky, spec motor..etc after all of these.... i think to a new comer this can be a bit discouraging because it doesn't mean anything to them. Sure, a quick google search of these things explains it, but even then i don't think its super clear.

A good example, google search "rc touring car 17.5 sedan" . There is no direct link that explains exactly what that is! Again, we can figure it out, but a new comer probably not. Funny thing is the first links are for RCTech. Perhaps a sticky thread to this forum that explains clearly and conciesly all the types of on road racing classes available would be helpful. And eventually that thread will end up the top link off Google. On top of that; clubs / tracks and in the mentioned sticky post should have recomendations for starter cars or classes. I think most of the Tamiya classes are very easy to get started in. Euro Truck, Mini and even TT01/02 classes are easy for newbies. But maybe 17.5 sedan not so much.
Good points, but everything has a learning curve and a lot of what you brought up is not complicated and it's easy to explain. In this day and age a well run race program should have some type of presence on the web with an explanation of the classes run or provide a link to USGT, ETRL, etc for the specific rules that those organizations have come up if they are running a spec class.

Also with on road racing, cars and classes come and go, so the best thing that an individual can do is to refer to their local race program. There is never going to be a one size fits all to RC racing. Rules change from club to club, track to track, area to area, etc. Don't rely on the computer and devices so much, go out and talk to people.

Last edited by RCTecher1337; 01-25-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

I do remember a small track in my home town that did have rental on-road car. The bodies were hard plastic. It did not last long here. I like the after school project as I did want to try that years ago. Now if you had an outdoor track in a shopping center you will get spectators but I would recommend and information booth as some drivers will chase away people! We lost all our spectators once we built and permanent asphalt track and our hobby shop would not tell their customers there was a track in the back?
Now me approaching our two Science schools is to much for me to handle but they both have nice parking lots. The best cars for someone to lead on would be a Legends car. They are durable and easy to fix. They even race every year at the Snowbirds( and you can race them oval and onroad). The rest of the RJSpeed cars also work well and easy to fix.
No matter what you do it takes work to get R/C going in any form and people dedicated to do it!
For the other classes T. Duck you forgot to mention F1 and GT12, CanAm 1/12th with 17.5. And as for the Tamiya kits to me that plastic stuff does not last long. Every time I see them come out with some new ( like the Euro Truck) it dies quickly. I know of many shelf queens in the class and most of the Tamiya car. The only thing they ever made quality wise was the top of the TC.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My club has 2 "rental" cars but we don't charge for them. They're a loss leader to draw interest.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Since someone decided to ruin the previous discussion by spamming and getting that closed, I thought I would start a new one. This is for meaningful discussion of what can be done to get electric onroad back to the forefront again,. This isn't for promoting your track (that's what the Racing Forum and Regional Forums are for). Spam will be reported and appropriate punishment rendered by the moderators. So let's try this again...for b-man and the others who started the previous discussion
What would be an example of "spamming" as related to this thread. Thank You.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.