Search
Like Tree155Likes

Future of 1/8 E Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AHR43
Factors external of the sport are driving a move away from IC to EV. This is occurring rapidly in 1:1...

'AC'
Yeah, no it isn’t. No one even watches Formula E, and Formula is the most watched, participated and aspiring racing series in the world. There’s absolutely nothing exciting about watching electric race cars. Long after street cars have all gone electric, motorsports will still be well and thriving with the ICE. You act like people are choosing electric over the ICE. No. Climate change is FORCING people to go electric.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by D_zeller
Some of the biggest complaints about nitro is having to have a pit guy. Read it here in this thread a bunch. But I’ve then seen this route brought up here of having a pit stop/battery change. 🤔 (not saying this at you specifically Smokey) you’d have to have a pit guy if we go route of battery changes. Is that something we want in ebuggy or not?
I’m certainly in the no pit stop camp, (especially as has been pointed out the possibility of letting the smoke out of your electronics is high), I’m just spit balling as to possible ways of increasing participation. It would definitely take a major change in battery/connector and chassis design if anyone wanted to go down that route, as it stands it would be rather unsafe.

Personally I’m happy with shorter races, as I get older both my ability to concentrate and my bladder capacity have reduced, so 1hour races are too long for me
Old 10-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cavi Mike
Yeah, no it isn’t. No one even watches Formula E, and Formula is the most watched, participated and aspiring racing series in the world. There’s absolutely nothing exciting about watching electric race cars. Long after street cars have all gone electric, motorsports will still be well and thriving with the ICE. You act like people are choosing electric over the ICE. No. Climate change is FORCING people to go electric.
I have to disagree with you regarding being forced to go electric, for the bulk of the people on the planet electric is the best solution.

As an example, I went electric (Tesla Model X) because I rarely do more than 100km's per day. I just run around town, do my shopping, go for a picnic etc, then go home, plug my car in and fill it up with the juice of the sun. If I want to go for a longer trip, I can get around 450km before I feel the need to recharge, and to be honest at my age, 5 hours behind the wheel is long enough Maintenance is far less than an IC vehicle, just charge her up, check the tyres and off you go, acceleration is beyond fantastic, and petrol stations are a thing of the past - I'll drop in to grab a can of coke and a chocolate bar, but thats all.
I'm still a bit of a rev head, I've got a "Lotus 7" clone with a 240 HP engine for track days and a Landcruiser v8 turbo diesel (hits about 750 nm on the dyno) for off road touring, but for daily use, nothing beats an EV for me.
Davidka likes this.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You act like people are choosing electric over the ICE. No. Climate change is FORCING people to go electric.
I'm a racing nut, former mechanic, and squarely in the car/motorcycle enthusiast camp. I'll go electric as soon as I can. Silence and instant torque? Hell yeah! The only thing keeping me from an EV daily and enduro bike is range. I do several 9+hour road trips every year (usually dirt biking), so I need something that can fill up quick and haul the bikes around. On the bike, I do enduro/trail riding - as soon as I can get a 80mile range out of <250lbs, I'm in.
Smokeyr67 likes this.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smokeyr67
I'm still a bit of a rev head, I've got a "Lotus 7" clone with a 240 HP engine for track days and a Landcruiser v8 turbo diesel (hits about 750 nm on the dyno) for off road touring, but for daily use, nothing beats an EV for me.
So as I already said - motorsports still thriving with the ICE.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:22 AM
Tech Rookie

ICE isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Logistically speaking, all of the car manufacturers trying to hop onto the EV bandwagon isn't realistic; as the co founder of Tesla has said, these people haven't done the math behind it...
MX304 likes this.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

How efficient, in there own opinion think ICEs are?
Old 10-19-2021, 07:14 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well, this conversation just took a leap out of RC...

"Unsubscribe".
savage24x likes this.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cromulent
I'm a racing nut, former mechanic, and squarely in the car/motorcycle enthusiast camp. I'll go electric as soon as I can. Silence and instant torque? Hell yeah! The only thing keeping me from an EV daily and enduro bike is range. I do several 9+hour road trips every year (usually dirt biking), so I need something that can fill up quick and haul the bikes around. On the bike, I do enduro/trail riding - as soon as I can get a 80mile range out of <250lbs, I'm in.
This link might interest you
Old 10-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

So as I already said - motorsports still thriving with the ICE.
yep, and I still love the noise, hopefully when enough of the public buy EV’s we can keep pumping oil out of the ground to let we rev heads enjoy our recreational hooning 😁
Old 12-07-2021, 01:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Nitro will be dead in California in 4 to 5 years when CARB makes them illegal.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nibbles
Nitro will be dead in California in 4 to 5 years when CARB makes them illegal.
I had this same thought - California is banning small engines soon (mainly going after landscapers) but I was wondering if that will affect nitro/gas RC.