Search
Like Tree155Likes

Future of 1/8 E Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer
the idiots on the driver's stand won't stop mashing on the throttle when on their back.
When this happens to me I take a step back and throw my hands up in the air to indicate to the driver I'm not touching their car. They usually figure out what's going on pretty quick.
kufman and phattracker like this.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
When this happens to me I take a step back and throw my hands up in the air to indicate to the driver I'm not touching their car. They usually figure out what's going on pretty quick.
Yep, I instructed my 10 y/o boy (at the time) to do that and when he did, a grown ass man was yelling at him. I didn't know about that until after the fact or I would have punted his car half way across the track. Now, he has no interest in racing.
trackdesigner71 likes this.

Last edited by ExRCRacer; 09-22-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Dang can you forward me to that club? A club race with a 45 min main FOR A CLUB RACE? Def isn’t adding up here. We only have 15 min mains
And also, the same could be said for ebuggy drives mashing the throttle when flipped cause they can’t be heard. I’ve not grabbed Both type cars cause they were on the gas. That’s not just a nitro problem.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:01 PM
Tech Rookie

first of all,i think the nitro car and electric driving methods have different fun.Due to the accelerated pace of life,I think it will be able to play directly and conveniently.Therefore,the trend of oil and electricity will eventually stabilize with a certain proportion of the population
phattracker likes this.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by D_zeller
Dang can you forward me to that club? A club race with a 45 min main FOR A CLUB RACE? Def isn’t adding up here. We only have 15 min mains
And also, the same could be said for ebuggy drives mashing the throttle when flipped cause they can’t be heard. I’ve not grabbed Both type cars cause they were on the gas. That’s not just a nitro problem.
I don't recall anywhere in my comments stating "club race". However, with that said... yes, club races (especially), they try and do these long mains because thanks to club races being smaller, that's less time spent qualifying and we can have "longer mains" for the nitro drivers.

Let it be said that "club races" are far and few between. Tracks (at least around here) tend to want to try and generate as much "buzz" as possible with big races, point series races, etc... We have "Mr. B's Birthday" race, the "Ness Series" that is around 6 to 8 races in the season, the "Big Apple Challenge" which Adam Drake attended this year, and whatever else is promoted to get people to come. Doesn't matter if it's a point, big event, or club... we're looking at, AT MINIMUM, a 30 min A-main in Nitro up to 45 min.

205 Greycourt Rd, Chester, NY 10918
Knock yourself out.

One other point I'll make --- electric drivers are much less likely to be mashing the throttle while marshaling them because there is zero threat of a stall. In my experience, the biggest offenders in doing this are the nitro drivers.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

eBuggy is our #1 where I race. C or D Main deep sometimes.
eTruggy is next, sometimes a C Main
Nitro is only 1 main usually.
ExRCRacer and Jurassic579 like this.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Jeez, if they feel that way about electric racers, then stop offering electric classes…

Yep, this is one of the reasons why the hobby has been consistently described as “dying” for as long as I can remember. You can’t have any growth if you keep alienating new people - and love it or hate it, most people will probably favor electric because it’s an easier learning curve.

The idea should be to welcome new people, and make them FEEL like it’s worth making the jump to Nitro… But I’m gonna guess that for the few that do, they then belittle them for not knowing how to properly tune an engine.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by aspiringracer
I think both have the ability to "out-shine" the other, it's all about the atmosphere (;
Seriously though a note to all whom only run e-buggy and get 1 main @ 10 mins followed up with a 30/45 minute marshalling session. Ask your race director to have a triple main setup, but make sure everyone has the batteries to do it. 30m nitro main - 30 min e buggy race time. Fair is fair.

You forget the electric racers extremely pathetic ability to get on the stand in a timely manner. Make it triple 10m mains for electric, full hour for nitrobuggy. Fair is fair.

Nitro is where it's at. No waiting for motor cool downs. Long races. Real sounds and smells. Electric is just club racing. It's sad that people can't tune, the easiest to tune combustion engines on the planet.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
You forget the electric racers extremely pathetic ability to get on the stand in a timely manner. Make it triple 10m mains for electric, full hour for nitrobuggy. Fair is fair.

Nitro is where it's at. No waiting for motor cool downs. Long races. Real sounds and smells. Electric is just club racing. It's sad that people can't tune, the easiest to tune combustion engines on the planet.
See? This is the exact attitude they have at the place I went to.

Exactly...

Let's not forget how long it takes for the nitro guys after a race to go out and marshal after they are done fiddling with their crap and talking about the race.
Smokeyr67, RC10Nick, DirkW and 1 others like this.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

To be fair, Nitro shouuld marshal Nitro and Electric should marshal electric. And 1/8th should marshal 1/8 and 1/10 marshal 1/10.

I have been to club races where novice or sportsman 1/10 drivers are asked to marshal 1/8 expert nitro. This creates no end of controversy (the electric only 'new guy' has nooooo idea how to marshal a nitro car (where its hot, how sturdy are the wings, the wheels will idle, etc..., and god forbid you get the 11 year old novice out there with 10lbs nitro rockets....). Not to mention the I raced for 6-10 minutes and am now marshaling for 30 minutes and I don't really care to focus anymore attitude that develops during these longer A-Main Nitro mains.

It takes much more work/planning on the race directors part to execute this, but when I have seen it done it leads to a better experience for ALL racers.

abailey21, RC10Nick, DirkW and 4 others like this.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

You are the EXACT reason this hobby cannot progress. kudos to you for proving once again why nitro, and its very closed minded tightly grouped and ever shrinking fan base is the worst part of R/C.

Nitro guys were the biggest jerks in the late 80's and early 90's when I started racing, they're one of the main reasons I don't race today, and they're the reason I'm barely a apart of this hobby anymore.
Smokeyr67, RC10Nick, DirkW and 3 others like this.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Some of us can tune engines better than those I see on the track , ran nitro for years, now I just don't care for nitro racing - the sounds and smells are what drives me away, and attitudes like yours. Not having to wear ear protection in 90F+ weather is great. Silence is golden.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sometimes I wonder how hard it must be for people like this to get through life with such a stunning lack of self awareness.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

lol dudes gettin torn apart. Unfortunately the e-buggy guys can be like that too. My local track is mostly electric and a full grown man with a cringie handlebar mustache decided to yell at a 14 year old kid who wrecked across the track because he "cut the track" claiming he gained positions and should have hopped back over the pipe. After about 5 minutes I told the guy to shut it because I was the one he landed in front of when he stopped crashing and he stopped and waited to let me go so he didn't gain any spots and that I was totally fine with him waiting instead of jumping back over the pipe. The guy continued to freak out saying if it was a big race he would have been pulled from the track. I told him who cares its not a big race and he waited its fine and mustache finally shut up and walked away but the poor kids mom didn't want to come back anymore. Overall rc can be toxic nitro or electric luckily the kid is coming back.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:16 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahe243
lol dudes gettin torn apart. Unfortunately the e-buggy guys can be like that too. My local track is mostly electric and a full grown man with a cringie handlebar mustache decided to yell at a 14 year old kid who wrecked across the track because he "cut the track" claiming he gained positions and should have hopped back over the pipe. After about 5 minutes I told the guy to shut it because I was the one he landed in front of when he stopped crashing and he stopped and waited to let me go so he didn't gain any spots and that I was totally fine with him waiting instead of jumping back over the pipe. The guy continued to freak out saying if it was a big race he would have been pulled from the track. I told him who cares its not a big race and he waited its fine and mustache finally shut up and walked away but the poor kids mom didn't want to come back anymore. Overall rc can be toxic nitro or electric luckily the kid is coming back.
THIS IS COMPLETELY TRUE! My 11 year old son didn't want to race anymore because there was a nitro driver, 50 y/o man, screaming at him to marshal his car while he was mashing on the throttle. My son did exactly as he should have... not touched it hands up until he stopped mashing on the throttle. However, damage was done - we are out of 1/8 racing .

However, I must point out that this is a discussion about the unfair amount of time marshalling between nitro and electric with electric drivers being stuck marshaling 45 min mains. It has ensued with "Zero's" (appropriate name) claiming "nitro is where it's at" and basically saying "if you don't like it, race nitro or don't complain" in so many words. There's no question there are jerks in both classes... but that's a different discussion.
frewster likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.