Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree155Likes

Future of 1/8 E Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ackchyually
And maybe this will help explain something. Seems more popular to me...

this is skewed with electric being 1/10 and 1/8 but nitro only being 1/8.
petersen114, Solico and ExRCRacer like this.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
this is skewed with electric being 1/10 and 1/8 but nitro only being 1/8.
nobody told ae and losi to kill off gas stadium truck hehe
Old 09-19-2021, 06:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jurassic579
I think that if electric is the way to go to get new people get into the hobby/sport. I have been running my MBX8Eco for a year and just got a "regular" MBX8. If I would have done it the other way there would have been a really high step to learn everything and also learn what does what in the setup. With electric you have a constant factor in the motor.

But if you take away "the smell and sound" for Nitro. Is the driving more fun with nitro as many people are saying? And in what way?
Just want to "piggyback" your closing question if I may? Why does it seem like a lot of nitro drivers at my local track seem to be letting the car drive them around the track and not them driving the car? What I mean is the throttle blips....they are constant. I ran nitro years and years ago and I did not run mine that way(blips). It's to a point where I see many nitro drivers blipping around (and even through low power rhythm sections) and totally botching the section due to wrong throttle inputs at extremely wrong times. And they just wreck their car or end up brutally slow on lap times. But, they continue to blip. Is it clutch preservation? Because if it is, i see way more damage being done to chassis components than I dare say their shoes from longer, more meaningful throttle inputs. I run E-only now, and am exposed to more nitro than ever, and the blips kinda drive me crazy. Like some people do it and do it right. And some emulate. And wreck their stuff. Me being noobish?
Old 09-20-2021, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Some people do it to much because of a bad tune, but the reason you blip through corners etc in nitro is to keep the rpms up and the car in the powerband when you need it.
Originally Posted by phattracker
Just want to "piggyback" your closing question if I may? Why does it seem like a lot of nitro drivers at my local track seem to be letting the car drive them around the track and not them driving the car? What I mean is the throttle blips....they are constant. I ran nitro years and years ago and I did not run mine that way(blips). It's to a point where I see many nitro drivers blipping around (and even through low power rhythm sections) and totally botching the section due to wrong throttle inputs at extremely wrong times. And they just wreck their car or end up brutally slow on lap times. But, they continue to blip. Is it clutch preservation? Because if it is, i see way more damage being done to chassis components than I dare say their shoes from longer, more meaningful throttle inputs. I run E-only now, and am exposed to more nitro than ever, and the blips kinda drive me crazy. Like some people do it and do it right. And some emulate. And wreck their stuff. Me being noobish?
Old 09-20-2021, 03:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

A big part of the fun with nitro is setting the perfect throttle linkage, engine break in, tuning the engine, etc. E-buggy is fast, punchy, etc don’t get me wrong. But plug and go gets kind of boring. Something about those peppy 2-strokes and the satisfaction in achieving that ultimate tune.
Solico and boatcapt like this.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:27 AM
Tech Adept

I'd like to comment on this. I'll admit, there are some valid points that makes E-buggy more attractive, especially for noobs. But I think some of the disadvantages of nitro are a bit exagerated.
But you need some knowledge, what you're doing with your nitro, that's for sure.
Originally Posted by Ackchyually
  • No pit guy needed and/or refueling needed<<< This one is HUGE! And I believe, this is why 1/5th gasoline-powered is gaining popularity. Just fill up the tank and practice, run, race, whack some weeds, whatever...no worries....plenty of fuel to go round. // the pit guy is definately a huge disadavantage, but refueling? C'mon, when I practice I do a quick refuel myself and off it goes again. Doing some 3 to 4 tanks in row is easy and I don't have to wait an hour due to charging for the next 12min run...
  • No engine tuning for weather changes // Well, yes sometimes. Just a few minutes on the carburator screw, big deal....
  • No warm up laps needed ultimately a faster race program // Maybe true for races with big entry numbers, where the "natural" break between rounds is long enough to charge the batteries. Not true for club level races with less than 30 people or so, where you need at least an hour between runs to charge. Unless everybody has two sets of those batteries...
  • Less environmental/ noise concerns // no doubt, big advantage of e-buggy
  • No flame outs // ...but sometimes flame ups! ;-) just kidding, although I've seen some burning cars, but that was a good while ago, stuff seems to be more reliable now.
  • Only 1 battery to charge // depends, might slow down the race program. Almost everybody I know have more than one set of batteries.
  • No additional equipment needed like glow plug igniters and bump box -- pit bag? WTF is that?! // ...but far more electric equipment to bring. When I go nitro racing for practice, I don't need any charger at the track. When I take my electric cars, I don't have the feeling to bring less equipment to the track at all (charger, power supply, lipo bag, lipo batteries, cable drum ...).
  • Shorter, less involved qualifiers and mains // for qualifiers, there's not much difference. Mains, ok, but what is the time difference between 3 x 10min or one 30min main? I actually think a single 30min main is less time consuming. No plus for e-buggies.
  • Less stress, overall; just shut up and drive...learn how to control the vehicle instead of worrying about how much time is left on the tank // well, that's highly subjective... for practise, it's no big deal and for racing, your pit guy is the one worrying ;-)
  • Faster kit builds AND rebuilds // less maintenance in e-buggy, valid point, but the built... not that much different. Clean wiring of an e-buggy can be as time consuming as putting an engine in.
  • More likely to garner the attention of would-be indoor track owners to build for EP 1/8th scale (plus 1/10th scale) because of indoor pollution and noise-levels (as previously mentioned) // big plus for e-buggy for sure.
I think it's good that there are both classes.

Andi
frewster likes this.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andreas78
I'd like to comment on this. I'll admit, there are some valid points that makes E-buggy more attractive, especially for noobs. But I think some of the disadvantages of nitro are a bit exagerated.
But you need some knowledge, what you're doing with your nitro, that's for sure.

Andi
I don’t race or anything.. unfortunately there is just nothing going on with the hobby where I live. With the introduction to nitro, there is a huge learning curve, but not to worry, people on this forum will help you.
Solico likes this.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I know people like racing those longer nitro mains, but I hate marshalling them, especially when I show up with an electric car, run a 5 minute B main, and have to marshal a 45 minute nitro main.

It's to the point that I've just stopped going to any track that runs nitro. Can't imagine I'm the only one who feels this way. This forum can be kinda an echo chamber with the opinions of hard core racers, but it's important to keep in mind that at the club level, there are probably plenty of casual racers like me who are put off by being around nitro.

Even if it were lelectric mains, making me marshall a 30 minutes main after I only got 6, 8, or 10 minutes main is a surefire way to get me to never come back to a track. It just isn't fun enough to justify that for me.
Cain, Furadi and ExRCRacer like this.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by andreas78

Andi
Most people do have 2 lipos per car and they only take 15 - 20 minutes to charge. The only limitation for running ebuggy is tire wear because we can pretty much run non-stop with 2 lipos.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by phattracker
You have to blip the throttle to "stay on the pipe" and keep the engine in the power band. Otherwise it'll bog down.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Furadi
You have to blip the throttle to "stay on the pipe" and keep the engine in the power band. Otherwise it'll bog down.
Yeah, ok. I get that. But now I'm even more perplexed at the guys wrecking their stuff with non-existent timing of blips. Thanks
Furadi likes this.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
I know people like racing those longer nitro mains, but I hate marshalling them, especially when I show up with an electric car, run a 5 minute B main, and have to marshal a 45 minute nitro main.

It's to the point that I've just stopped going to any track that runs nitro. Can't imagine I'm the only one who feels this way. This forum can be kinda an echo chamber with the opinions of hard core racers, but it's important to keep in mind that at the club level, there are probably plenty of casual racers like me who are put off by being around nitro.

Even if it were lelectric mains, making me marshall a 30 minutes main after I only got 6, 8, or 10 minutes main is a surefire way to get me to never come back to a track. It just isn't fun enough to justify that for me.
So I've spent a couple of solid seasons at Barnstormers in Chester, NY and it's a track that is very nitro leaning. The guys that run nitro there will quickly put down anyone who speaks out in favor of electric over nitro, calling electric the "support" class and you have to "earn" driving a nitro because it's "hard work and takes a lot of skill". While I have no disagreement there, my biggest turn off was the exact reason you stated --- I run a 7 minute main, then I and my boys may be stuck marshaling a 45 min main. But they don't care... electric guys are there to serve the real racers.

My area is a wasteland for 8th scale racing, and it's depressing. If I ever come into a good sum of money, I'll certainly buy land and open a track, running it as I see fit - because that's what it's always about right? Track directors / owners running it as they see fit? I can't tell you now many guys have complained about being forced to marshal these long ass mains after running their e-buggy 7-10 minute main, only to be told, "Don't like it? Get a nitro". - Yep, that's a real turn on to keep coming back.

HOWEVER, I've been incredibly tempted to get a nitro for that very reason.... you know what they say, "If you can't beat em, join em".
RC10Nick and aspiringracer like this.

Last edited by ExRCRacer; 09-21-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think both have the ability to "out-shine" the other, it's all about the atmosphere (;
Seriously though a note to all whom only run e-buggy and get 1 main @ 10 mins followed up with a 30/45 minute marshalling session. Ask your race director to have a triple main setup, but make sure everyone has the batteries to do it. 30m nitro main - 30 min e buggy race time. Fair is fair.
frewster likes this.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer
So I've spent a couple of solid seasons at Barnstormers in Chester, NY and it's a track that is very nitro leaning. The guys that run nitro there will quickly put down anyone who speaks out in favor of electric over nitro, calling electric the "support" class and you have to "earn" driving a nitro because it's "hard work and takes a lot of skill". While I have no disagreement there, my biggest turn off was the exact reason you stated --- I run a 7 minute main, then I and my boys may be stuck marshaling a 45 min main. But they don't care... electric guys are there to serve the real racers.

My area is a wasteland for 8th scale racing, and it's depressing. If I ever come into a good sum of money, I'll certainly buy land and open a track, running it as I see fit - because that's what it's always about right? Track directors / owners running it as they see fit? I can't tell you now many guys have complained about being forced to marshal these long as mains after running their e-buggy 7-10 minute main, only to be told, "Don't like it? Get a nitro". - Yep, that's a real turn on to keep coming back.

HOWEVER, I've been incredibly tempted to get a nitro for that very reason.... you know what they say, "If you can't beat em, join em".
wow, anyone with an elitist attitude like that isn't worth my time interacting with. These guys must have zero self awareness. They're all just playing with toys, no reason to be so high and mighty about it.

Definitely a failure on the RD's part. Nitro B mains should be marshalling the long nitro A mains, but most RDs don't have that good sense. You shouldn't be used to subsidize the RDs lack of resources needed to run the program he wants to run.

I'm at the point in my life and racing experience that I'd have no problem just abandoning my marshalling position in the middle of an hour long main if the RD was enough of a knob to make a me marshal the nitro A main after running a short electric main. I'd tell him beforehand so he knows why but I have no problem getting banned from a track that I'd have no interest in ever returning to.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
wow, anyone with an elitist attitude like that isn't worth my time interacting with. These guys must have zero self awareness. They're all just playing with toys, no reason to be so high and mighty about it.

Definitely a failure on the RD's part. Nitro B mains should be marshalling the long nitro A mains, but most RDs don't have that good sense. You shouldn't be used to subsidize the RDs lack of resources needed to run the program he wants to run.

I'm at the point in my life and racing experience that I'd have no problem just abandoning my marshalling position in the middle of an hour long main if the RD was enough of a knob to make a me marshal the nitro A main after running a short electric main. I'd tell him beforehand so he knows why but I have no problem getting banned from a track that I'd have no interest in ever returning to.
I took this year off because I was extremely frustrated with the set up there... but I love racing so much I can't stay away. I was thinking of doing exactly this next year - being straight with the track director and saying, "Look... my boys aren't marshaling a Nitro Main, or even a qualifier after a sportsman event. Not only are the cars a bit more dangerous with the threat of being burned by the pipe / engine while marshaling, the idiots on the driver's stand won't stop mashing on the throttle when on their back. Plus, I'm not standing out there for a 45 min main when I'm there running electric for 10 minutes and have a 2 hours drive home. Sorry, not sorry."

Now, I know the RD and he's a super chill nice guy, but the second the other fanboys get wind of my position on this they will get all in a huff. Most of these guys come from NYC and NJ to race here and a lot of them do have that elitist attitude. Perhaps I should think about patronizing another track... I have 2 more to choose from each 2 hours away.

And see? This is how it happens.... this is how ya lose racers. My buddy ran electric at that track for the past 7 years, and this year was the first he didn't run and has sold all of his gear. Why? The favorability to Nitro and complete disregard to electric. I'm envious of these tracks I'm reading about in Ohio, Texas, etc... that are electric leaning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.