Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1089Likes

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the B6.1 and B6.1D Wiki page.

Features:

Easy-access gear differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Laydown Stealth(r) transmission for lower and forward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, standard height
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
Front and rear anti-roll bars limit chassis roll for increased corner speed
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Steel chassis weight
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Features:

Easy-access ball differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Lay Back Stealth(r) transmission for lower and rearward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, long
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
+1 steering block arms optimize feel on dirt tracks
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Setup Sheets and other documentation
Setup sheets for both cars:
Piston Drills:
Aftermarket Upgrades:

Parts List:

Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday and Roger M.):

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

In a general opinion, Is the MIP puck kit worth the upgrade? I have been toying with picking it it up. Just wondering what everyone’s consensus is on it
Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smkd13
In a general opinion, Is the MIP puck kit worth the upgrade? I have been toying with picking it it up. Just wondering what everyone’s consensus is on it
With the Associated version of the MIP puck system (the Associated/MIP and MIP products are different), I have really experienced the pick up in acceleration of the lightened drivetrain on our indoor clay track in Reno, NV.

But, don't try to use it on high traction carpet/turf or above a 17.5 stock blinky motor. Neither version of the puck system can withstand that level of grip or power.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe

oh really, i read a review at Amain that siad it didnt fit the layback.
Thanks, can you post the working part number of the diff for verification?

can anyone else help verify, or point me in the right direction, really just looking to plug ia gear diff into into my 6.1d to run carpet once a week, for about 8 races, otherwise we race dirt year round, will still be running dirt weekly as well so im hoping to just make a quick swap a couple times a week.
It fits. Don't trust amain hobbies reviews. I run it on astro when I need more rear grip as opposed to carpet.
thirtydaZe likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
It fits. Don't trust amain hobbies reviews. I run it on astro when I need more rear grip as opposed to carpet.
And I can confirm that both the B6 Gear Differential Kit #91703 and B6.1 Gear Differential Kit #91786 fit into the layback and laydown cases for the B6.1.

Differences between these two diffs are that the B6 version has a aluminum cover and metal pins for the planetary gears while the B6.1 version has plastic cover and plastic pins. This makes the B6.1 version about 2 grams lighter than the B6 unit.

Wonder if that one reviewer on AMain didn't know that there are two possible idler gears applicable to switching between the layback vs. laydown tranny cases. Or, maybe didn't know that the B6 gear diff assembly uses spacers on the output shafts; whereas, the B6.1 assembly doesn't need them.

Otherwise, I do trust MOST of the user reviews on AMain Hobbies...LOL
thirtydaZe likes this.

Last edited by Still Bill; 12-12-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Still Bill
But, don't try to use it on high traction carpet/turf or above a 17.5 stock blinky motor. Neither version of the puck system can withstand that level of grip or power.
For 17.5 on astro I run the Exotek adaptor pins in 67mm Mip puck shafts with a gear diff. I haven't had any issue since February and its been wonderful. Ive been running Xray plastic XB2 internal diff gears inside my 6.1 diff since then as well. The only issue I've had with the 6.1 transmission is the idler gear with the Associated slipper eliminator but I've since switched back to an Exotek eliminator and had no issues since.

I need to measure the difference between 6.0 to 6.1 gear diff outdrives, I just found out GFRP makes aluminum outdrives for there oval cars for the 6.0/sc10 diff. I love running super lite drivetrains.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Maybe hidden somewhere here, couple questions on b6.1d, 17.5, clay.

I've been running the Reedy / Maclan HV 3600, slim batteries. They weigh about 150g. I enjoy the lower center, and lighter weight. Allows weight to be put in other places.
But some of the racers tell me that the Low Profile batteries are not as fast? They loose power before the end of the race? They say I am better off with a full size HV 4800 battery at 200g?

Fans..... It is rather cold around here, this time of year. No fan, still running under 140 degree on the Motor. But I ready where in Stock racing, you really want to run a fan? Any good rule on when to Fan, or not to Fan?
Old 12-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sea1swk

I've been running the Reedy / Maclan HV 3600, slim batteries. They weigh about 150g. I enjoy the lower center, and lighter weight. Allows weight to be put in other places.
But some of the racers tell me that the Low Profile batteries are not as fast? They loose power before the end of the race? They say I am better off with a full size HV 4800 battery at 200g?

Fans..... It is rather cold around here, this time of year. No fan, still running under 140 degree on the Motor. But I ready where in Stock racing, you really want to run a fan? Any good rule on when to Fan, or not to Fan?
I believe what they're referring to with the battery suggestion is that a lower mah battery will discharge lower into it's voltage curve than a higher mah battery over a given amount of time/load. I rarely pull more than 1,000mah from a pack in a 17.5/5 minute run. Even with the low-profile pack, that's less than 30% of the available capacity. I would think the difference would be very small between the two, unless you're running super high grip or longer runs, and pulling many more amps. There are plenty of top level modified guys running low-profile packs in modified, and they're pulling at least twice as many amps in a run as we do with stock motors.

Usually when a stock buggy slows noticeably in a run it is because of motor heat weakening the rotor's magnetic strength. If you are not noticing this fade, you don't need a fan.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidka
I believe what they're referring to with the battery suggestion is that a lower mah battery will discharge lower into it's voltage curve than a higher mah battery over a given amount of time/load. I rarely pull more than 1,000mah from a pack in a 17.5/5 minute run. Even with the low-profile pack, that's less than 30% of the available capacity. I would think the difference would be very small between the two, unless you're running super high grip or longer runs, and pulling many more amps. There are plenty of top level modified guys running low-profile packs in modified, and they're pulling at least twice as many amps in a run as we do with stock motors.

Usually when a stock buggy slows noticeably in a run it is because of motor heat weakening the rotor's magnetic strength. If you are not noticing this fade, you don't need a fan.
a friend of mine is running an 8.5 turn with 3200mah gens ace low profile packs with no issues on 7 min runs
Old 12-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Tech Initiate

With the Associated version of the MIP puck system (the Associated/MIP and MIP products are different), I have really experienced the pick up in acceleration of the lightened drivetrain on our indoor clay track in Reno, NV.

I run a b6.1 on carpet oval. Converted to EDM class. I run a gear diff and was going to try a new/old stock set of mip pucks for a gear diff that I found. Why don't the puck system hold up to carpet?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Bulkhead

Do you need to use the metal plate in front of the bulkhead when running aluminium or brass versions?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lexusbest
a friend of mine is running an 8.5 turn with 3200mah gens ace low profile packs with no issues on 7 min runs
With the abundance of power a modified motor provides I'm sure it's less of a problem (we used to run far less efficient brushed modifiers on 2000mah nicds), but you know how the stock guys are. Every gram.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sea1swk

Personally, I prefer the heavier packs so my car dies less by the end of the run, especially if a track has a triple that is barely makeable by stock then I want to hit that throughout the entire run. I also find myself wanting to add weight, even in stock so the heavier batteries account for that without having to add chassis weights.

I always run a fan in stock because the motor temps can get up there and you always want your motor running as cool as possible.

PS when you run a fan it pulls some of the juice from the battery so the larger pack/fan combo go hand in hand for me.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

i am running a 17.5 no Blinky mode on indoor clay in SLC UT. Probably will be ok with it. I think I am gonna pull the trigger and get them
Old 12-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 2hundy
Do you need to use the metal plate in front of the bulkhead when running aluminium or brass versions?
yes.
same dimensions as the plastic one.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smkd13
first of all if you run carpet ...forget about it...it will snap even with stock motors. I had it in my B6d racing on dirt. It does feel different but you have to get used to it ...pretty tricky when you race on a wet track... I wish I did not spend all that money for it. But on clay, it might be better..... considering your tire prep is on point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.