Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1089Likes

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the B6.1 and B6.1D Wiki page.

Features:

Easy-access gear differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Laydown Stealth(r) transmission for lower and forward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, standard height
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
Front and rear anti-roll bars limit chassis roll for increased corner speed
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Steel chassis weight
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Features:

Easy-access ball differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Lay Back Stealth(r) transmission for lower and rearward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, long
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
+1 steering block arms optimize feel on dirt tracks
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Setup Sheets and other documentation
Setup sheets for both cars:
Piston Drills:
Aftermarket Upgrades:

Parts List:

Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday and Roger M.):

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by MrLean
In theory, would a dirt setup (ie. Spencer's go-to setup that he was using forever) be easier to drive on carpet for a 6 year old (lazier response)? Or more difficult when compared to my carpet setup (setup for max speed and not necessarily ease of driving)? Wondering if I can dual-purpose my dirt car for him, since he only races novice once a month or so on carpet. I would put the gear diff in for him, lower the ride height, and send it, vs buying another car.
Weird as it sounds, putting a dirt car on carpet is way more unstable than a carpet setup. The extra roll will make the car snap or traction roll and the car will be overall more unpredictable. However, if you swap springs and move the battery forward (and maybe add some weight up front) along with the diff gear you mentioned, you should be good to go for the most part.
MrLean likes this.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

What kind of handling characteristics change between the flat and gull-wing front arms? (using the correct towers)
Old 03-04-2020, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Is the Rivkin surf city setup a good one for high bite clay or has anyone had better luck with something else?
Old 03-04-2020, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonnywachter
What kind of handling characteristics change between the flat and gull-wing front arms? (using the correct towers)
More initial steering and less mid to exit steering with flat arms . The way they “feel” to me is the start of a turn the suspension is softer then the get progressively firmer through the corner. Gull arms seem to be more linear throughout the corner .
Old 03-05-2020, 02:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
Is the Rivkin surf city setup a good one for high bite clay or has anyone had better luck with something else?
Last year at the Midwest champs race at The Ohio RC Factory I copied his setup because I run at that track and I really liked it, I guess copying a setup depends on how close your driving style is to his and how similar the track conditions are, I copied a setup before from a track in Cali and hated it in Ohio.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

From a previous post, if you need more info please ask...

stueys likes this.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skrib21
More initial steering and less mid to exit steering with flat arms . The way they “feel” to me is the start of a turn the suspension is softer then the get progressively firmer through the corner. Gull arms seem to be more linear throughout the corner .
I can understand why you might think that from driving the car but it is actually the exact opposite to that.

With the flat arms there is a lot of initial tyre loading (which is what produces grip) as the shock is initially quite stiff but as the car rolls there isn't much change in the stiffness so the grip level doesn't increase, if anything it will drop off.
That is why you get that feeling of initial steering then a tendency for increasing push as the corner progresses

The gullwing arms give a fairly soft initial feel due to the car being able to roll relatively easily at first thus not loading the tyres but as the car rolls and the suspension compresses the shock angle changes causing the shock to effectively stiffen which in turn loads the tyre more resulting in more mid-exit steering.
Now here is the caveat, this relies upon the effective line between the inner and outer hinge pins being relatively level, certainly not sloping down towards the chassis very much, if it is you will still get a slight gullwing effect but no much.

To get the gullwing effect you need the shock mounting mount needs to move outwards as the car rolls away from rideheight.
MrLean likes this.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RogerM
From a previous post, if you need more info please ask...

Thank you for the info, very helpful! As a rule of thumb would I be able to use my same shock package and just change the arms/tower?
Old 03-09-2020, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Thank you for the info, very helpful! As a rule of thumb would I be able to use my same shock package and just change the arms/tower?
No worries.

Generally yes, start with the same shock package between the tow arm types, then if you need to tune to suit you / the conditions.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have a question I figured I ask here even though it is not off road related I figured there is enough fast guys here that could help. We are racing our B6.1's on carpet for now and will be outside once it starts, and it is oval for both. they are Modlites, the cars are fast on carpet cant wait to get it on the high bite clay oval. Any ways my question it would a gear diff be better than a ball for both and would a slipper or slipper eliminator be better. Please explain the answers so I can learn something rather than just be told do it this way or that.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
The Rivkin nationals winning setup in the rear end is totally dialed but it is not posted anywhere I had to carefully examine a lot of pictures to get all of the parts tweaks and geometry. Kinda lame of AE
Old 03-19-2020, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Braxamus
I have a question I figured I ask here even though it is not off road related I figured there is enough fast guys here that could help. We are racing our B6.1's on carpet for now and will be outside once it starts, and it is oval for both. they are Modlites, the cars are fast on carpet cant wait to get it on the high bite clay oval. Any ways my question it would a gear diff be better than a ball for both and would a slipper or slipper eliminator be better. Please explain the answers so I can learn something rather than just be told do it this way or that.
I haven't raced oval but I would start with a ball diff because that is what people use on high bite clay 99% of the time. As for slipper eliminator vs slipper, it is a personal preference thing. The eliminator should technically be faster because it is lighter but a slipper is more forgiving. I would start with a slipper while you get your car set up for the new track and then try an eliminator and see if your times/consistency get better.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

When I rotate the spur gear on my B6.1 with no pinion or tires installed the spur spins free then tightens up then free's up again. What would case this?
Old 03-22-2020, 04:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
When I rotate the spur gear on my B6.1 with no pinion or tires installed the spur spins free then tightens up then free's up again. What would case this?
if everything moves freely, but then only briefly tightens up just a little, then releases again, it is probably one of the internal transmission gears that is a little out of round. if i had to guess, it would be the idler gear. i just went through this on my tlr 22-5.0. i bought a pack of two idlers. the second one fixed the problem. just my experience.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by haywood
Depending on how tight you build the transmission case you may or may not get some sort of bind. Here are 2 ways you may possibly free up the transmission before buying parts or doing anything drastic.

Sometimes it happens when you overtighten screws, try checking the lower 2 screws holding the two halfs of the case together, or the 4 screws that clamp the top cap of the transmission on. They do not need to be clamped down real tight, just snug or a 1/4 turn out from tight can free it up. Try twisting the case back and forth while you loosen them if you have it out of the buggy.

Another way it can happen is if the aluminum camber plate is not aligned fully into the slot on the rear of the transmission case. I think Roger has a post on this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.