Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
2010 Alberta RC Pro Series Schedule >

2010 Alberta RC Pro Series Schedule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Alberta RC Pro Series Schedule

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 2.60 average.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Spec tires

Sounds expensive for clubs....thought there was enough trouble to just find clubs to run the r/c pro.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The way Gary put it sounds really expensive for clubs. But we don't have to do it that way. Bring your own tires in sealed bags. Done. It's done like this at other races and has worked very well. Why it won't work here? Who knows, it's just speculation, but I think it will. We aren't going to do it, fine. But IF we said we were there is no excuse for people to not have tires for the first event. It gets posted on here, offroad.ca or whatever it is and on the RC Pro website. If you don't have those tires, you don't race until you do.

I really don't agree with any of Gary's reasoning. Personally, I don't feel he posted any valid points as to why it won't go. But it's his series and he makes the rules so I will accept that it's not going to happen for whatever reason he may come up.

Last edited by Scottmisfits; 01-22-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gary Fliegel
Before this gets out of control, there will be no spec tires for RCPS Canada. You can talk to me about this at the first RCPS AB race, and I'll explain why there.

Just because Gary said "No", does not mean we can not have this on some level. I would be happy to make a "gentleman's agreement" on which tires to run for prior to each event.

The other thing is, if this is what Racers want and RCPro is not willing to entertain the idea, then the question is RCPro the series that is best for Alberta... But that's a whole different topic.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Vega75 - Believe what you want - I received 3 calls last night regarding spec tires and none of them were for the idea.

What's the cost of the spec tires used in onroad ........ $30.00 a set pre-mounted? for one class only?(touring car). What's the cost for a set of pre-mounts for a truggy $75.00 buggy $60.00 MT $75.00
Just based on cost alone this doesn't make sense to me.

Also I stock up on tires during the off season when I have little or no racing expenses compared to the summer. So let's just say the tire I like to run isn't one chosen as a "spec" I now have to go out and buy new rubber? Don't think so ... I'm not racing the series. This is what a couple of the people said in the calls to me and I have to agree.

Lastly, why is it that the same few people really seem to enjoy attacking Gary at every given chance? Whatever happened in the past, drop it. All the constant negativity does nothing to promote the series or the hobby for that matter. Gary does not make the rules - he along with the directors enforce the rules. The series is not called the GF pro series it's the RC pro series. We (Canada) are part of an international series. Rules are not changed at a drop of a hat because a couple of people got talking at an on road race.
Will a "spec" tire rule be introduced for 2010 season - no.
Does this mean it will never happen - no.
The Canadian directors talk on a regular basis and I will make sure the topic is brought up at the next skype meeting. From there it will be discussed with Carlton and he will make the final decision on what he feels is best for his series to maintain growth.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Okay I've read enough so time for me to comment.

On road touring car tire choices are Slicks and foams. That's it for tread pattern!

Off-road has 100's of tread patterns for various conditions.

Now the big one, if I don't have the spec tire than I can't run the race. Well I hope the Hobby stores have deep pockets and quick ordering turn around times, because if I can't run because the stores are out of stock on the spec tire I'd be pissed!

What if there's a supply issue from the manufacturer? No tires or delay issues? Even lost boxes in shipping. Like we haven't ever seen this happen.
What? Change tires for that leg of the race because 10% of the people can't buy them? Now that would upset those that got the spec tires already.

So running a spec tires means I need to buy all my spec tires before the year starts just to make sure I have them. I smell online ordering big time!

So now I get to sit on new unopened tires for the season series and buy more tires for club racing.
Where's the savings here?

And what tires do you think will get run at club racing, um the spec tire.
So now the only tire you would buy is the spec tire so you can get the setups and handling of your buggies & Truggies right.

I think the idea is neat, but the practicality of it............

Jeff Cohen
Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

very interesting read....
I see the point of a spec tire but, if one must show up with the tires in a sealed bag(assuming manufacturers packaging) that equates to a large sum of money for anyone.
also why dont we go a step further??? make a spec chassis? spec motor???
but in all seriousness I know of a several racers that would forego the rc pro series if a spec tire is introduced.

just my opinion,
Anthony
Old 01-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lorider75
very interesting read....
I see the point of a spec tire but, if one must show up with the tires in a sealed bag(assuming manufacturers packaging) that equates to a large sum of money for anyone....
just my opinion,
Anthony
Most racers will show up at a race with at least two new sets of tires anyway. With a spec tire they wouldn't have to mess around with bringing multiple treads and compounds. For the RCP nats this year I brought 4 brand new sets of tires with all along with 4 sets of lightly used tires.

Well, it seems to me this idea of a spec tire is too extreme to implement into the series. At least it was something interesting to talk about. It wouldn't be so bad to have at the Nats though, only one race to worry about then. Only one tire for that race would make packing for the trip to Ontario nicer.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

I might be naive for thinking this but who cares if the tires are in sealed bags? Tread patterns are obvious and there has to be a way to take an educated guess as to which foams are inside.

Announce the change to a spec tire for 2011 in 2010 should give the hobby shops a chance to slim their stocks down over the summer and for racer's to restock with the new meats.

If the racer's want something like this there has to be a simple way to implement it. For instance racer's supply their own tires. Take the onus off the clubs.

Obviously I'm not considering everything and that's not my job. But quite simply if you want to help the series you need to attract new racer's. If the series tries to initiate new idea's like this to help curb the ever rising costs of racing it will only help. The biggest obstacle I see to new racer's is cost.

It won't happen this year and that's fine but I really think Gary and the rest of the directors should give this serious consideration for 2011 at least.

That is all I ask.

Last edited by maniac mechanic; 01-23-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

spec tires will only save money for the minority. those guys being the ones that dont need to worry about spending money on tires for the most part. for the "new" racer that some are concerned about, where would this save them money? most new racers dont want to buy 2 new sets of tires for one race that they wouldnt be able to use at the next race or wouldnt be practical for bashing. basically the only way to save the "new" guy/majority money would be to spec rtr tires. as for regular racers this wouldnt save me any money at all but cost me more as i dont buy 2 new sets of tires for each race. i may buy 4-6 sets in a year total if i am racing alot. i was thinking of doing the rc pro series this season and if spec tires were announced now it would be okay as long as it was the same tire for every race. but if announced after i buy tires or multiple types are spec'd i would not race the series and the majority of racers wouldnt either.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well i cant wait to hit the dirt and play with my car. The Edmonton leg isnt terribly far away and (hopefully it doesnt downpour on us) it will be a great and fun series this year.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Illbreakthat
Well i cant wait to hit the dirt and play with my car. The Edmonton leg isnt terribly far away and (hopefully it doesnt downpour on us) it will be a great and fun series this year.
Exactly.

Let's not beat a dead horse here...spec tires are a no go, so it's no longer a productive use of our time to continue this conversation. Let's focus on the current rules/regs and the overall enjoyment of RCPS in Alberta.

See you all in Edmonton for the first race.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Cool

ok and after spec tires are put in to place every one has to use an os 21 and the have to have a D8 or a D8t and hey to make this simple we will go Canada and the USA wide then we will cut out all these other choices as to car makes and lets go one step more will help out traxs as well lets all use there servos as well cus we realy don't want any one to have an advantage over the next guy If this sound a little silly I would agree...............

hey last year we had one of our drivers race on our off Road track with slicks ya no traction at all every one thought finaly will all beat him when the race was over he was still two laps ahead .......... (Brad you might Know this guy) so if you think that this will even out every thing it is only in our minds it is the skill that we trully wish we had the same... not tires............

my two sence
Old 01-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Haha, give me a spec M2 or medium tire and I will spray the crap out of it with diesel and turn it into a M6!

+1 with Svengali's last post, let's avoid personal attacks as that is the way it appears to me as well.

Pete had a very interesting idea and it very well could happen some day. It does surprise me though that all of a sudden a few $70 sets of tires are concern in a hobby where we already spend thousands. This isn't a hobby for kids, and unfortunately we must incur a subtsantial amount of costs to participate in it.

With tire technology advancing it is much easier to get away with bringing one or two different styles of tire to these big events which will keep costs down for those concerned. Look at calibers and cityblocks. They work well at most tracks and if that is all you have you will do just fine. On the other hand if your bring your whole tire arsenal maybe a set of holeshots may be a little bit better at some point throughout the weekend but it won't be what wins you a race.

Will we see race results change with spec tires? Of course not. The Waynes, Petes, and Tys will still be on top......the Troys, Navazs, and Garys will be behind them......and Will, Svendsen, and I will be fighting it out in the C main.
-Kane
Old 01-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by Kane-o
Haha, give me a spec M2 or medium tire and I will spray the crap out of it with diesel and turn it into a M6!

+1 with Svengali's last post, let's avoid personal attacks as that is the way it appears to me as well.

Pete had a very interesting idea and it very well could happen some day. It does surprise me though that all of a sudden a few $70 sets of tires are concern in a hobby where we already spend thousands. This isn't a hobby for kids, and unfortunately we must incur a subtsantial amount of costs to participate in it.

With tire technology advancing it is much easier to get away with bringing one or two different styles of tire to these big events which will keep costs down for those concerned. Look at calibers and cityblocks. They work well at most tracks and if that is all you have you will do just fine. On the other hand if your bring your whole tire arsenal maybe a set of holeshots may be a little bit better at some point throughout the weekend but it won't be what wins you a race.

Will we see race results change with spec tires? Of course not. The Waynes, Petes, and Tys will still be on top......the Troys, Navazs, and Garys will be behind them......and Will, Svendsen, and I will be fighting it out in the C main.
-Kane
Well put Kane.

I still think this idea has merit and will be seriously considered at some point.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default spec tires.

I really like the idea of spec tires. Having the local racer pick up tires and bringing them in the factory sealed bag. Keeping the cots down and making the playing field a little more even. In the WICICS series. It has made the racing so much more fun. I really enjoy that there is only 1 or 2 laps no between the first in the and and last in the b.

IMO

Nick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 2.60 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.