Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
2010 Alberta RC Pro Series Schedule >

2010 Alberta RC Pro Series Schedule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Alberta RC Pro Series Schedule

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 2.60 average.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This would actually work. And just because you needed 3 tire changes in the past, just to stay competitive anymore doesn't really mean anything. Everyone will be running the same tire.

My vote would be one tire, not one type of tread. You say This manufacturer, this part number, one step better, premounts. Must be checked in, in original packaging and signed off by an RC Pro official. In Truggy you would have 2 part numbers, 0 offset and 1/2" offset, same tire, compound and insert, just a different rim.

Spec tires are used at the electric offroad worlds and the system works very well.

Something tells me that RC Pro will not go for it as RC Pro is designed to make money in the US and making it a spec tire will cut advertising from the different manufacturers. If no one can use their product, why promote it?

I do really like this idea though.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Exactly what Scott said... you pick a tire that works reasonably well under most conditions as your spec tire. If it's a second a lap slower than the ideal tire at times, who cares? It's the same for everyone.
And yes, we did have the exact same discussion in touring car. I can find a 1/2 dozen touring tires than may work better than the spec tire under certain conditions, but since everyone is running the spec tire, it's irrelevant.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
mfd
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like the idea.

It would bring out people like me who don't want to spend $200 on tires for 1 race weekend.

It has my vote!

Aaron
Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think if you took a pole with the entire race field you would find more people interested in having a spec tire, as even i would agree and think its a great idea. But on the other hand Scott does have a point about the advertising of the other brands. It would make things cheaper in some ways but either way people are going to buy new tires to go to some races and most do for each RCPro race anyways. But if there is a voting field i am in.

Jay.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great idea Pete! I'm with it for sure. If the tire doesn't work that great, well, too bad, change your setup or driving! This would make travelling lighter too, which is nice.
The way WCICS does pre-mounts is great and that would be an ideal model to follow. Allowing outside tires to be brought in might be risky, but it would be more convenient and take pressure off the host club to order the correct number of tires. Tire selection from track to track in Alberta doesn't vary so much that different tires would have to be used at each leg. Pro-line revolvers work at least decently on every track I've been too.
As for manufacturers, it could benefit them too. Having your tire used as a spec tire is a great bit of advertising.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have to say I really like this idea.

I think going to a spec tire would really level the playing field and not make having the most dialed vehicle on the track dependant on
how deep your pockets are and if you can run new sets of tires per qualifier and main event.

If the series goes this way (and so far the above posts think it should), I would also recommend the following

1) The maximum sets of tires a person can purchase at the event are two per class.
2) Each different event has a different tire. Since you are going to be required to purchase them, why not have people try different
products. It would help drivers feel differences in tires as well as promote brands.
3) If people want they can run Non-Spec tires for qualifiy, however the main must be run with the spec tire. I was only thinking this because
some people may not be able to budget for two sets and would prefer to run a new set on their main event.

That's my two cents.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm on board with it, but where does the approval come from? I would assume proposals like these aren't handled/decided within each division.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

I think it should be up to the racers to bring their own tires. That takes a lot of pressure off of the host club having to order x amount of tires and only having y amount of people show up. New, un opened bags, and I don't like the idea of the premounts but it makes it a little more even as then we know what inserts are in them.

And who cares what tire it really is. I'll do Revolvers or Calibers, or Cross Hairs in a medium compound. It doesn't matter too much what tire gets picked as it will be the same tire for everyone. Eveyone will be fighting the same traction issues no matter what tire it is.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Default Spec tires

There have been many pro and cons posted about this issue here but the opinions that have been expressed are from racers only. How about getting some input from the hobby shops? These are the guys that will have the most to lose in all of this. How can clubs decide on a choice of tire and then buy them from one supplier without pissing off another? These stores support our racing and without them we have none. Also, for those of you who have tire sponsors, how do you tell them that you cannot run their tires because your division has decided on another brand for a spec tire? I for one would not like to tell ProLine or AKA that I cannot run their tires because they decided that the LOSI tire was the spec tire. Yes it can save money for a lot of racers, but spec tires have their place at certain events, but to run it on a local or Regional level I feel would be a waste of time.

Ray
Old 01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Like Peter said, in the sponsorship level, most guys have it written into their contracts that if it's a spec tire, it's allowed. For club racing or one off races, run what you brung.

I like the idea of having the racers bring their own tires in sealed bags. Do it with Premounts. That way the inserts are the same as well.

Like I said before, the electric offroad worlds are spec tire. It works there. Why would it not work here? Ryan Maifield is sponsored by J Concepts for tires but when he went to the worlds he ran Losi tires.

I talked to Rodney at PM and he actually liked the idea. You can get most of these tires from multiple suppliers so there shouldn't be an issue thee. You're really not going to hurt local shops either. Most racers will have a supply of tires of different treads and compounds. Now we're taking away the guessing game. The racers aren't going to be going through and less amount of tires, now it's just that they know which ones they need.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Not a bad idea on the tires, but is this something that can even be considered seeing we are going by RCpro rules that seem to be carved in stone?

I believe SC is not part of the RCpro series and rules are rules no SC. So who's to say we can change rules about tires?

If i had a vote i would like to vote on having the opportunity to say yes or no to suggestions made within reasonable time to make changes in our region.( that would mean becoming part of the executive )

Then again having to vote yes or no on subjects like rule changes is hard enough to organize witch is a pain in the ass for the people volunteering their free time to make the series happen.

In a perfect world we would all get our 2cents worth and see the changes made in a snap.

* Yah i would like to save money on tires ( would be nice)

* Yah i jumped on the electric 1/8 and it was ok, will it be better this year? who's to say it could grow or flop for all i know.

* Yah i would like to see SC in a non RCpro point race
( Fun race to introduce budget and new drivers to our top level of competition)

* 20 car SC mayhem mains YAH YAH YAH !!! lol this would be entertainment i would pay for heh.

Can't wait for the season to begin, my 2 cents (Sorry Steve )
Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I would love to see spec tire for the RC pro series.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

As someone who's looking to get into off-road racing, the idea of spec tires is really attractive. I'm all for it.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

I think it's a great idea, it puts everyone on the same playing field, if the tire is bad for one it is bad for all, it is just a way to keep the cost down for racers. I think you should allow racers to buy their tires from the hobby shop of their choice and bring them new in package to be teched by the race staff.
Tread pattern is obvious and compound is pretty easy to tell, if you want to have a spec foam which I don't believe is necessary, you can usually see the foam in the tires through either the breather hole in the wheel or the tire.
I don't think making premounted mandatory is the way to go because if a tire comes off in the main and you didn't have the opportunity to glue it, I can see this causing a lot of problems. If a racer wants to use premounted that should be an option.
I don't know what rules RC Pro has on tire brands if any, but having a different manufacturer tire as the spec tire at each race would spread it out. Have manufacturer 1 for truggy and manufacturer 2 for buggy at race #1, manufacturer 3 for truggy and manufacturer 4 for buggy at race #2, etc.
That's my 2 cents.

Gord Tessmann
Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

I don't see this happening for 2010 .................... 2011 perhaps but this needs to be put forth to Gary.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 2.60 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.