Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Carcar

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Akhor
Maybe Ivan can confirm, but I'm assuming if there was a SPEC rule and you ran sweeps knowing you were disqualified from points you would
a) Still get to race
b) if you qualified in the A main you could run in the A or would you get bumped to the C - Or asked to leave?
A yes
B you race where ever you qualified.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
If PM stops the BS about Xray parts etc I would listen to what you just said, but really, I couldnt care. They forgot about me when the pissing match started, so I forget about them and buy my Xray parts from the US. I still support PM with bodies paint etc, but if they dont supply my tire.... ill still sleep at night

Instead of suggesting, show me proof. I invite you to come out, try any aftermarket tire u can find, and if you beat me while i run Jacos, Ill completely believe you. Until then, the concerns about opening up the tire is completely unfounded.

What the managers at PM do with ordering from certain distributors is none of my business. We did just get a bunch of Hudy stuff in so we can still get the X Ray parts. Rather than blast the stores online like that, go in a and talk to the manager.

Your second point, I completely agree. I agree with what you have said saying that if part a is spec then people will move to part b. I agree with you that you're not going to find many tires, if any, that do perform better than the current tires available.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Scotty, thats a discussion for another time, i appreciate the pm too.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

OK, we've discussed the tire issue to death, let just vote on it and "be OK with the outcome". Any more discussion on this and Ivan's gonna have an anurism!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
OK, we've discussed the tire issue to death, let just vote on it and "be OK with the outcome". Any more discussion on this and Ivan's gonna have an anurism!
+ oo (that's Infinity, for all you non-math types out there...)
Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What's this then?

Yours looks like Lil Orphan Annie's eyes.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I really bring this on myself….

My position again is OPEN RUBBER TIRE pre-AGM, stick with SPEC TIRE now.

Originally Posted by Timbulb
The only real point I see in running a spec tire is equal playing field. But Pete's testing shows that the Sweeps are almost the same as Jacos for performance, other than the fact that they last much longer. (another reason to run open tires)
Level playing field is one PRO. I’ve never tested the Sweeps vs. Jacos for durability. My personal experience with Jaco Blues with my current set is 1 WCICS race weekend (in 2 classes by the way with same set) and 6 club race nights so far. Is that not durable enough for you?

Again, the VOTE is to allow the MEMBERSHIP to be heard. However, my only issue is that changing the rules mid-season will set a precedent that future Execs will have to deal with. You’re not helping me sell the open exec positions for next season.

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Tim...you're absolutely correct, you can still run Jaco Blues with an open tire rule. And since I bought a bunch at the beginning of the season, that's exactly what I'm going to do! The issue is what happens when someone shows up to a club race with super-sticky 1-run tires and kicks everyone's a$$? A very disciplined person who is simply there to have some fun might be OK with that but for a lot of people they will at least be tempted to go out and spend a bunch of money on 4 sets of super-sticky 1-run tires for a single club night of racing. I'm not saying everyone will but the temptation will definitely be there if this happens. We then move back towards a place where the perception is that unless you spend money on super-sticky 1-run tires, you will never progress beyond a certain point in your racing results.

In the end we will go with what people vote for on Friday but we thought it was important for people to be reminded of what some of the implications were of both decisions as there are Pros and Cons to each one.

Cheers,
Mike
This is another PRO for Spec and this veiwpoint is avoid the PERCEPTION you need to get something better to be competitve.

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
Rather than going to an open tire rule, why not maintain the spec tire rule, but add the blue Sweeps (QTS-32s?) to the (currently short) list of allowable tires?

This way, we keep the playing field level and avoid having people feel they need to purchase these so-called 1-run tires.
I see why you’re suggesting this Ken and it sounds reasonable but the problem will then pit one tire against another.

The original intent for Pete to test the Sweeps were that if we ran out of Jaco Blues, then Sweeps would be the alternative. Here’s my issue: WE STILL HAVE JACOS AT THE CLUB 10 FEET FROM THE TRACK!

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Ivan, I know where you're coming from but yes, availability is an issue. If you can not walk into your local hobby shop and get the item, and they have not been able to get it in month, it is an issue. This was brought up only a couple of days ago.

Asking people to give up their personal stock of tires, or having the club selling tires, circumventing all of the local shops, none of which have our one spec tire, then yes, there is an issue.

For what Mike has stated, and Ken has also brought up now, I suggest we don't have a true open tire rule, rather a shore rating rule.
I see where you’re coming from too Scott. Your argument is that since our LHS/online stores don’t have them, we shouldn’t be tied down to the current spec tire. Again, we have them at the club for sale right now.

But you might say what about the tires others have bought? I’m sure this issue will be settled next year and I’m pretty sure you can still use the tires. On average we have over 20 TC Stock racers per race night. I would guess that at least 5 drivers are fully loaded with Sweep tires.

For discussion purposes:

What if I told you we have at least 10 sets of used tires at the club that these racers with Sweep tires are welcome to use for FREE. They have been donated to by some generous members, which I give to newbies at the club. I’m willing to even let whomever take my current tires I have on my Touring Car and I use those FREE tires. Let me know why someone wouldn’t take that offer. I make this offer because if I were to have a bunch of Sweeps and didn’t have any Jacos and didn’t want to spend money on Jacos, I’d run them cause they wouldn’t cost me a cent and would be competitive right out of the locker.

I’ve proven Jacos are durable. Let me know why you think anyone wouldn’t take this offer?

Lets not forget this the the FIRST time we have had a spec tire rule, and we didnt have an issue before . Mike, thats a great example about someone running super sticky tires, and winning, except it never happened EVER in the past and there is no reason to think it will ever happen. The tires you speak of are already in service around the world, there is no NEW technology that could ever bite us.

Pete can speak more on this, but the Jacos and Sweeps etc, are not a crap tire, the performance is very very good. If you found another tire to give more grip, your car would simply flip, or you have to change your entire setup, which if someone decided to go all out, all the power to them. THEY WONT GO QUICKER, thats a fact. Most of us are literally at the edge of grip flipping as it is, so its untrue to suggest that any other tire would be more beneficial and start winning over what we have now.

The MAJOR benefit to dropping the spec tire rule, there is NO policing necessary, availability will never be an issue, and Ivan and the Exec dont have to put up with this stuff.

What is the PROBLEM? Making rules because of a PERCEIVED advantage and the BS that comes along with it. Its costing us all time and extra money and its ridiculous. STOP making rules because of a few vocal complainers who actually believe someone else has an advantage. Its a cycle, someone complains with no FACTS, a rule is made to stop the negative talk, and they move onto the next part of the car, that they believe to be an advantage.

SHOW ME THE PROOF. Im man enough to openly say Pete, Jim, Josh, Erwin, Ivan etc when they beat me, THEY beat me.
This is PRO view for OPEN RUBBER TIRE and I've always understood and agree with your viewpoint Aaron and that's why you don't see me with the latest and greatest stuff. The problem is you're an experienced RC racer but Joe Average Racer (Not talking about anyone just an example) may not know better, doesn't believe you, has the cash and goes out to spend money with the PERCEIVED view they need that equipment to be competitive.

I’ll repeat again, Exec Team voted for OPEN RUBBER TIRE, but club majority voted SPEC TIRE at the AGM. Again, I personally DON’T CARE whomever runs what tires, I’m just thinking for the greater good of the club to keep the rules unchanged. NO FAVOURTISM TO ANYONE.

Originally Posted by Akhor
I totally agree with you Ken, however from an Exec's stand point I'm sure that they would not want to have to "police" to see who's running what if some tires has the same rims.

Also, lets not forget Ivan already mentioned that even with the spec rule you can currently run Sweeps. However the repercussion of doing so is that you don't receive any club points. So really, unless you are at the top of the field in club points or expect to be there is not an issue.

Maybe Ivan can confirm, but I'm assuming if there was a SPEC rule and you ran sweeps knowing you were disqualified from points you would
a) Still get to race
b) if you qualified in the A main you could run in the A or would you get bumped to the C - Or asked to leave?
A yes
B you race where ever you qualified.
You’ve been on the RC Gears Exec Blaine. You understand. I don’t “police” anyone, but someone’s bound to come up to me and complain about something, then I have to bring up the issue, then guess who looks like the jacka$$.

CORRECT! and you bring up a really great point!

You can currently run ANY RUBBER TIRE you want during club racing and:
A) still get to race
B) race in the mains where you qualified but your final results are not counted for our club points series.

That means we can get pass this BS and you continue to run whatever tire you want but you just don’t get your name on a little plague that you can’t pawn for a $1. There are almost 60 paying members that qualify for the point series. Only the top 3 names get on the plaque / trophy whatever. I would say really 6 members have a legitimate shot at being top 3 in TC Stock. Honestly that doesn’t concern 90% of the club. So I’m saying to 90% of the club, if you don’t care about the points, run your “other tires” cause I’m assuming you really only want to have fun and don’t care if you get DQ’ed at the end of the night.

Think about that.

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
What the managers at PM do with ordering from certain distributors is none of my business. We did just get a bunch of Hudy stuff in so we can still get the X Ray parts. Rather than blast the stores online like that, go in a and talk to the manager.

Your second point, I completely agree. I agree with what you have said saying that if part a is spec then people will move to part b. I agree with you that you're not going to find many tires, if any, that do perform better than the current tires available.
James is my friend and I know he’s doing the best he can at PM Hobbycraft and also for their support of me and the club. Me putting myself out here isn’t helping that relationship. Just know that I’m doing what I believe is in the best interest of the club.

Originally Posted by pcar951
No worries Jimbo! I was telling Eddy that I use to be able to type almost 100 words per minute. Just took an online test and I’m only at 84 words per minute. I need more practice!

Anyone else want to discuss any other matters?

Ivan

Last edited by BoneCrusher; 01-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Yea... I think this Tire thing is getting out of hand, Glad I am not Ivan right now, not fun...

Sure seems to be taking the FUN out of racing...

Bill <><
Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Tired

Come on eveyone, Sing together now
HANDS IN MY POCKETS, HANDS IN MY POCKETS, HANDS IN MY POCKETS
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Default Question

I have a question. If I have a set of Jaco's and it's minus -30 out but the windchill is minus -45. What temp are my tires actually when I use my temp gun will it say -30 or -45?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madulla
I have a question. If I have a set of Jaco's and it's minus -30 out but the windchill is minus -45. What temp are my tires actually when I use my temp gun will it say -30 or -45?
Well I know your not being serious but heres your answer anyways::

For inanimate objects, the effect of wind chill is to reduce any warmer objects to the ambient temperature more quickly. It cannot, however, reduce the temperature of these objects below the ambient temperature, no matter how great the wind velocity

So the answer would be -30
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JonesyCGY
Well I know your not being serious but heres your answer anyways::

For inanimate objects, the effect of wind chill is to reduce any warmer objects to the ambient temperature more quickly. It cannot, however, reduce the temperature of these objects below the ambient temperature, no matter how great the wind velocity

It appears that Wikipedia is back up.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What are you talking about eddy, That came straight from memory!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love this channel, it's got everything!! Mines so quite
Attached Thumbnails Carcar-homer_eating_popcorn.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JonesyCGY
Where were you when I was having this argument with my wind chill obsessed friend a few years ago? He would say, on a day like today, that because the wind chill made it feel like -40, it was actually -40 in his car when he went to start in the morning. I always got pissed off about this and argued, A) He's not driving a convertible with the top down and B) how can you ever feel the full effect of wind chill when the extent of your exposure is waddling from the house to the curb and besides that, you've got a remote start you fire up 45 minutes before you go out there anyway. We don't hang out much anymore.

I love a good rant.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.