Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEQ 12th Scale Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've raced at 2 very small carpet tracks. One with sub-7 second laps in Newcastle 10 years ago. And more recently Highway Hobbies which had best laps in the 8.x second bracket on most layouts. At both places, aside from large meetings (where we ran 8 when required for finals but not heats), we ran 6 car races as standard and that worked very well. If we had 13 on a night you'd usually find heats of 4,5,4 and then 6,7 in the final.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:49 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by El Nitro
Debrief from Saturday nights last round of the SEQ 1/12 Tour 2014 and Trackside Indoor Carpet Track. Inagural Race Meet.
I certainly want this to work. We certainly do not want guys going home pi$$ed off they couldn't get one clear lap in the race, with 8 on the track at once.

I enjoyed the night, but for me the finals were waisted.

Standing by for incoming!.

Any other opinions?
Should it be all out war on the track?

Cheers
These are all good observations Jason, and ones that I had also. I do not think 8 was too many on the track, but I do agree that those 8 needed to be of a very similar skill for it to work right. It really sucked to be you because even though you qualified 8th, and were pleased with your success, you could not really enjoy that success because in the finals, you were just too far off the pace to make it enjoyable for you.

The reason why the cars were gridded up as they were, was to remove 1st corner carnage like we get at EPR on a Fri night. I think we did well in that regard, but, we need to be more flexible in how we structure the finals, for you, it would have been better if we dropped you to the B-Main which would have dropped me to the C-Main.

Again the reason why we did not, was because this guaranteed you of 8th place overall for the night (Something I felt you deserved), rather than potentially ending up 15th if you got took out by someone in the B group. Jeff asked me while we were setting up the finals if i wanted to make 3 groups of 7 rather than 8,8,5 and in hindsight, we can see how doing that would have been better for your enjoyment.

At club level racing we will not be as strict on finals settings and the like, if you ever feel that you are in a group too high for you, just ask and we will drop you back one. this goes for everyone. I put myself into the C qualifying group, even though under the series rules I should have been in the B group. I did not want to be overwhelmed myself by racing in company too fast for my skills on such a short and narrow track.

If anyone else has things to add, on how we can improve how things worked, by all means let us know, and where possible we will take it on board and make changes.

Just remember, our motto is 12th Scale, By the Drivers, For the Drivers. We want everyone having fun and enjoying themselves. Oh and also this is the first time i have ever run a full race meeting myself, race directed and had to make all the decisions. Everyone enjoyed themselves and I think I did an ok job, I certainly learned a lot and have a few things I can do to improve things some more and your suggestions above are going to be part of that.

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile Indoor at Trackside

We (my son mainly) race 1/5th scale mini at Brendale. But We have struggled and will continue to, to get to meets because of sport commitments. The indoor 1/12 scale at Trackside could fill the need to keep the interest up. So could we get an idea of setup costs, race/practise times etc please.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

Valid points Jason and Rob, I think until we get more guys up to speed on this track when doing the finals it should be split up based on qualifying time (and maybe a cut off of 0.4-0.5 slower in best lap than the top guys?).

As Jason said he while he made the A (congrats again on that Jason) he was a little out of his depth and while he was very good and never got in the way when being lapped it did suck the fun out of the finals for him.

The starting grid was good as it didn't cause much carnage also helps these things don't leap off the line like a touring car.

Cheers
Tim
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Rob,

This is just constructive criticism to hopefully improve the overall experience for the drivers who continue with these 1/12. Including myself.
I'm one of the keenest to get this class running on a regular basis.

You did a good job with the series.

I do disagree with 8 not been too many in our situation. Looking at the A Main Final last Saturday, I would say you could have run the first 6 together as they were all fairly close. Not sure about the 7th driver, certainly too larger difference for the 8th.

I would like to review the results, which is why I asked if they would be published on my RCM.

Just watching the B Final, I think they may have had a similar issue.

Certainly watching videos of the good drivers in Europe or the Worlds. The tracks are larger, but more importantly all drivers in the race are very closely matched.

For most of our level, 4 should be a target, Saturday night A Final, 6 would have been OK.

Thanks for putting me 8th in the A Final. I was guaranteed 8th spot although I didn't finish a final. After watching the B Final, I could well have been caught up in that carnage and come last. With my 8 year old son beating me. I wouldn't have heard the last of that for a while.

Remember, many of us do this for the enjoyment / competition not necessarily for a place. Not been able to do a single clear lap in a final takes away from that enjoyment.

If I had had a clear run every final, I would still have come 8th. I'm certainly not implying I would have done better.

Easy solution, Smaller more evenly matched numbers in each heat = everyone going home happy. (Even if you came last but had a good clean race).

My 2 cents
Old 04-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

I agree jason on the night there was probably too many cars on the track at once with different skill levels. Like anything new its a matter of trial and error on getting the formula correct, constructive suggestions like you have provided are what is needed.
We will have a play on friday night and see what works.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Horse360
We (my son mainly) race 1/5th scale mini at Brendale. But We have struggled and will continue to, to get to meets because of sport commitments. The indoor 1/12 scale at Trackside could fill the need to keep the interest up. So could we get an idea of setup costs, race/practise times etc please.
Hi,
A completely brand new setup with all the top brand running gear will set you back around $770, At this stage we are looking at running every friday fortnight with racing starting at 7pm. The track is now open 7 days a week for timed practice.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 04-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff Hamon
I agree jason on the night there was probably too many cars on the track at once with different skill levels. Like anything new its a matter of trial and error on getting the formula correct, constructive suggestions like you have provided are what is needed.
We will have a play on friday night and see what works.
Good one Jeff. As the Track owner you have a big say in how things will run.

Well be there Friday. Maybe we can try 4 (5 - 6 if evenly matched) per heat and see what we think.

Now excuse me while I go and glue some razer blades to my wheels.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/12 scale

Originally Posted by Jeff Hamon
Hi,
A completely brand new setup with all the top brand running gear will set you back around $770, At this stage we are looking at running every friday fortnight with racing starting at 7pm. The track is now open 7 days a week for timed practice.
Cheers,
Jeff
Thanks Jeff

I assume that is complete RTR with radio.

Have you got a setup that he (Cody) can have a go with to see what he thinks?
Old 04-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by El Nitro
Rob,
Just watching the B Final, I think they may have had a similar issue.
As the slowest guy in the B final, Qualified 16th, finished 16th, I thought it was all ok myself. But then, my plan was to circulate and hope that a couple of those above me broke down However, Nathan Unwin and myself had a ripper of a race together, with only 1 sec separating us at the end.

Thanks for putting me 8th in the A Final. I was guaranteed 8th spot although I didn't finish a final. After watching the B Final, I could well have been caught up in that carnage and come last. With my 8 year old son beating me. I wouldn't have heard the last of that for a while.
I am sure Sean would have loved to put one over Dad

Remember, many of us do this for the enjoyment / competition not necessarily for a place. Not been able to do a single clear lap in a final takes away from that enjoyment.
I am with you there, I do it for fun, nothing more.

If I had had a clear run every final, I would still have come 8th. I'm certainly not implying I would have done better.
I at least had my chance to race with Nathan Unwin in my group and had my chance to beat him. I think this is why my view on things is different. I was a punching bag for 8 mins, i took more hits than Tyson, frustrating yes, but I still enjoyed myself.

Easy solution, Smaller more evenly matched numbers in each heat = everyone going home happy. (Even if you came last but had a good clean race).

My 2 cents
Agreed. Getting the balance right with the needs of the pro racer and the needs of the social racer are very important. Thanks for raising the issues and discussing them in a mature manner.

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Horse360
Thanks Jeff

I assume that is complete RTR with radio.

Have you got a setup that he (Cody) can have a go with to see what he thinks?
Everything but the radio, absolutely come down anytime friday for a run.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks

Might bring him down after school tmw.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
I've raced at 2 very small carpet tracks. One with sub-7 second laps in Newcastle 10 years ago. And more recently Highway Hobbies which had best laps in the 8.x second bracket on most layouts. At both places, aside from large meetings (where we ran 8 when required for finals but not heats), we ran 6 car races as standard and that worked very well. If we had 13 on a night you'd usually find heats of 4,5,4 and then 6,7 in the final.
Depending on how the track is setup in Toowoomba laps can be as low as the 8sec range, but lately when I've been there its been tightened up a bit to slow us down
Old 04-03-2014, 02:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Sorry, not trying to ignore you.

On the night the top 6 could have run together. Possibly 7, even 8 if it was one of the drivers that missed out. He was doing 8.3s, but as he never finished a Qual he was relegated to the 'C Main', (hmmm, seems like a family thing). Anyway I digress.

Perhaps the number in the final should be determined by how closely matched they are. But, I guess for a main event you may say, you cant do it that way, which is why stating smaller numbers in the final, before the meet starts does sound fairer.

In the same way all race meets I've seen, always limit the final to 10 regardless of how big the track is. Eg: Brendale full track for 1/8 and Pro Tourer. Nationals, QLD State Titles etc, with Lap times around 16 to 20 Secs.

All other tracks the same. (Bayside, Landsborough)
If theres 45 drivers, they don't do 3 x 15 car finals. 10 cars is considered the limit. Not sure if that for the track, or the Drivers stand limit.

So a small indoor track with 8 sec lap times, .. should equal a maximum of 5 cars. IMHO.

Europe 1/12 :...... I don't know why they decided 8 cars was the ideal number of cars for the finals, but generally the tracks are quite a big bigger than our local indoor track. I would think their club nights would have less than 8 per race.

IMHO It would make the Competition better and more punters would go home happy.

My 3 cents.

Cheers

Last edited by El Nitro; 04-03-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:20 AM
Tech Champion

The European tracks we see on videos are going to be a bit bigger. From what I've seen of club tracks many are smaller.

8 cars I think you'll find is tradition. Everything was 8 car finals in the 90s, it wasn't until about 2000 that we went 10 car at Australian events. I still think at most clubs 8 is a better number, it promotes cleaner racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.