Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEQ 12th Scale Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for promoting 12th Scale here in Brisbane.

Particularly so for a guy who is a member of QRCCRA.
QRCCRA is a great club, with the best facilities in the State, possibly Australia wide, but unfortunately at this time it is not suited to 12th Scale pan Cars.

By promoting the 12th Scale at Sunshine coast you showed there was interest in this class. Many of us had 12th Pan Cars at home collecting dust, with fond memories of racing them many years ago (before ESCs and Brushless motors).

With 11 ( I believe) showing up to Landsborough one Sunday at the end of last year, just for their normal Sunday Club Meet, it showed everyone there were guys interested in racing these cars.

Now we know there's about 35 guys out there in the wider Brissy area with these cars, hopefully there will be regular scheduled race meets for them.

We know where there is a permanent indoor track for them too.

They're a good inexpensive, fun class.

Look forward to the next scheduled meet.

Last edited by El Nitro; 05-20-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by El Nitro
Congratulations to Rob Powell for organising the SEQ tour.

Thanks also for promoting 12th Scale here in Brisbane.
+1

Already looking forward to the next series... hopefully I can get to all the rounds next time
Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks guys for your kind words. Everyone has that one class they just love over all the others. For me it is 12th scale, with SSF a close second.

I bought my first 12th scale second hand from Trevor Connors about 2 weeks before Millennium stopped running it there. Went all the way to Newcastle to race my first 12th scale event and had the carbon rear axle delaminate in round 1 and put me out for the weekend, but that was enough to get Snappa hooked on 12th having driven my in practice. Running my 12th around Sunny Coast with the F1's got Graham hooked, followed by just about their entire club, and things snowballed from there.

We now have an awesome facility at Trackside, Logan is running 12th on Sunday at interclub and offers 12th at club meets, Sunny Coast I assume runs 12th still. 12th has gone from nowhere to somewhere in 4 months.

So support 12th at Logan's interclub, lets put on a great show for everyone there on Sunday, then Im going to Tamworth, and after all that, will start to plan what we will do event wise for the rest of the year.

Adrian, something someone put to me was perhaps running a round up in Toowoomba later in the year when we do another series. I will give you a call sometime and see what we do to potentially make that a reality. Also, am going to look at hooking up with F1 and making them part of the series too, as we have a bunch of guys keen for that as well.

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Suspended

Who else is racing 12th scale at Logan's interclub this Sunday, I know the following are all in currently.

Rob Powell
Johnny La Spina
Tim Weier
Richard Chun
Steve Irvine
Mason Garnet
Aaron Chambers (?)
Paul Fahey
Dominic Fahey
Old 03-31-2014, 03:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
Who else is racing 12th scale at Logan's interclub this Sunday, I know the following are all in currently.

Rob Powell
Johnny La Spina
Tim Weier
Richard Chun
Steve Irvine
Mason Garnet
Aaron Chambers (?)
Paul Fahey
Dominic Fahey
I should be there, not sure what class's will be racing, but I guess that because the gas car has been in the cupboard unused for about 6 months and the pro engines have been deeper in the cupboard for over 12 months, will probably run electric. most likely 13.5 and 12th on sunday, not sure about saturday
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Griffo7
I should be there, not sure what class's will be racing, but I guess that because the gas car has been in the cupboard unused for about 6 months and the pro engines have been deeper in the cupboard for over 12 months, will probably run electric. most likely 13.5 and 12th on sunday, not sure about saturday
Rob Powell
Johnny La Spina
Tim Weier
Richard Chun
Steve Irvine
Mason Garnet
Aaron Chambers (?)
Paul Fahey
Dominic Fahey
Ray Griffiths
Jason Vallely
Sean Valleley
Old 03-31-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Rob Powell
Johnny La Spina
Tim Weier
Richard Chun
Steve Irvine
Mason Garnet
Aaron Chambers (?)
Paul Fahey
Dominic Fahey
Was planning to be there, but...

On a different note is the Trackside track open every weekday?... I've got to come to Bris later in the month on a Tuesday and a Wednesday during the day
Old 03-31-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
Was planning to be there, but...

On a different note is the Trackside track open every weekday?... I've got to come to Bris later in the month on a Tuesday and a Wednesday during the day
Sure is mate 7 Days rain hail or shine.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jeff Hamon
Sure is mate 7 Days rain hail or shine.
12th scale racing is now has a regular Friday night time slot once a fortnight at Trackside RC, starting this Friday 4th of April. With an 8 round winter series starting late April or early May with trophies at the end for all. More details about this in the next week as i get more information, including a complete calender.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

12th scale racing is now has a regular Friday night time slot once a fortnight at Trackside RC, starting this Friday 4th of April. With an 8 round winter series starting late April or early May with trophies at the end for all. More details about this in the next week as i get more information, including a complete calender.
What time Friday night ?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by heavy
What time Friday night ?
Racing from 7pm.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well be there!
Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by El Nitro
Well be there!
Might have to ban Sean, he is too fast
Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Might have to ban Sean, he is too fast
Sean did really well the other night at Trackside Indoor.

His lap times were slower than all the others but he somehow managed to avoid the carnage.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Debrief from Saturday nights last round of the SEQ 1/12 Tour 2014 and Trackside Indoor Carpet Track. Inagural Race Meet.

Now the dust has settled and now regular race meets are planned to be run at Trackside, I'd just like to post my observations and suggestions.

Firstly I believe 8 car finals on such a small track is too many, particularly if there is too much of a difference in drivers ability.
Somehow I managed to be the 8th (Last) car in the A Finals the other night. Very happy about that, BUT,

8 cars on such a small track was too many. My best lap during the night was around 8.9xx, the top drivers were around 8.2xx (maybe quicker). Pole position started at the front of the back straight, I started half way around the turn onto the front straight. About 4 seconds behind the pole car assuming I drove bloody well. I didn't and so I was been lapped within the first lap or so. Pulling over for the faster drivers slowed my laps even more.
Basically I was trying to go wide or pull over every lap, maybe a couple of times a lap, only making the situation worse. Finally pulling over I hit the join on the front straight, breaking a wheel.

I didn't run the last final as I was just in the way.
If I chose to run my own race (so I get a fair run) and therefore NOT pull over for faster drivers, I would have held everyone else up and forced them to pass me (probably taking us both out).

Personally I would have preferred to be in the B Final, Although after watching them, there was a lot of carnage there, where to my sons credit, he somehow managed to avoid most of it and came 2nd, beating some very good drivers in the process.

Conclusion:

8 is too many for a final on this small track (unless all 8 are VERY closely matched).
I would prefer to see more finals with 4 (5 if very evenly matched drivers) are racing. If everyone insists on running 8 per final make it very clear it's an all out race for all 8 drivers. No pulling over for faster drivers is expected (OR TOLERATED).

Hopefully this Friday will see fewer drivers and we can try 4 per race.
This will also help with batteries been charged in time for races.

This is not a criticism, just and observation with a suggestion.
This was the first race at Trackside and the first time many (maybe all) had raced on such a small (and carpet) track.

I certainly want this to work. We certainly do not want guys going home pi$$ed off they couldn't get one clear lap in the race, with 8 on the track at once.

I enjoyed the night, but for me the finals were waisted.

Standing by for incoming!.

Any other opinions?
Should it be all out war on the track?

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.