Wiki Posts
Search

SEQ 12th Scale Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
The European tracks we see on videos are going to be a bit bigger. From what I've seen of club tracks many are smaller.

8 cars I think you'll find is tradition. Everything was 8 car finals in the 90s, it wasn't until about 2000 that we went 10 car at Australian events. I still think at most clubs 8 is a better number, it promotes cleaner racing.
Ok, I didn't realise 8 was the norm in 1/10, 1/8 before.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by El Nitro
Ok, I didn't realise 8 was the norm in 1/10, 1/8 before.

Cheers
I did not know this either.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
I did not know this either.
I'd say most people don't realise, it's not like RC history is well recorded. In general a lot of ideas get repeated as if they are new because the community loses the knowledge of what has gone before (sorry, off topic, but a personal hobby horse).

People might think that 10 is better because 2 extra people get a chance to win, but 9 and 10 almost never win. The number of times I've seen someone from outside the top 4, in a triple-A format, win in a major, in all the time I've been racing is no more than half a dozen times (I did it myself once from 5th!).

In fact having an extra 2 cars in the main makes it harder for drivers from 4th to 8th to win, because the start is more of a mess, and increased traffic in general makes it harder to fight to the front.

Fewer cars means cleaner racing, together with good pre-grading it can lead to better racing if you don't take it too far. Not being able to race many people can be boring too.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Fewer cars means cleaner racing, together with good pre-grading it can lead to better racing if you don't take it too far. Not being able to race many people can be boring too.
I hear ya, But in all important races I want a final of my own, just to make sure I get a clear run.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by El Nitro
I hear ya, But in all important races I want a final of my own, just to make sure I get a clear run.
Me too, but i bet the both of us could still stuff it up somehow Jason
Old 04-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'd say most people don't realise, it's not like RC history is well recorded. In general a lot of ideas get repeated as if they are new because the community loses the knowledge of what has gone before (sorry, off topic, but a personal hobby horse).
I know exactly what you mean here... and for just a little self ego stroking they also seem to ignore people like myself and many others that HAVE been in the hobby a long time.

I am in the middle of writing a "little" blog post about how I feel about the current racing formats. I usually have pretty individual views these days so I might open it up to comments when I post it
Old 04-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hows this for an idea for deciding how many cars on a track at a time -

Make a calculation based on the staggered start qualifying. You want everyone to have a good clean first few laps to get every one settled down. That's never going to happen if the first starter is already in a position to lap the last starter by the time they actually start. It probably needs some experimenting to find the best distance but I'd propose at least 1/3 of a lap between the first starter and the last starter. I think most races use a 1sec delay these days and assuming an 8sec average lap time that means 5 cars on a track for qualifying and for grouping finals.

Of course the more entries there are the harder this might be to stick to, but the standard thing these days seems to be reduce the number of qualifying rounds or as like the USF1 does, use shorter qualifying rounds - who needs 8 minutes for a qualifying round. 4mins would be plenty and still allows plenty of spanner time to make setup changes.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
Hows this for an idea for deciding how many cars on a track at a time -

Make a calculation based on the staggered start qualifying. You want everyone to have a good clean first few laps to get every one settled down. That's never going to happen if the first starter is already in a position to lap the last starter by the time they actually start. It probably needs some experimenting to find the best distance but I'd propose at least 1/3 of a lap between the first starter and the last starter. I think most races use a 1sec delay these days and assuming an 8sec average lap time that means 5 cars on a track for qualifying and for grouping finals.
That's pretty much what we did for qualifying and it seemed to work well, the trouble we ran into was the finals with 1 or 2 guys being noticeably slower than the rest of the heat.

The only thing i see is even putting 5 guys in a final if one of those 5 is 0.5 sec a lap on his best lap off the pace he will be getting lapped quite regularly which will slow him down even further causing him to be lapped quicker it sorta becomes a viscous circle.

Which is why i think we need to seed the finals at least in the short term until more guys are up to speed, based on best lap and qualifying times if that means 4 guys( i draw the line at 4 minimum) in any final at club level then that's how it should run so that everybody enjoys themselves.

For more serious events maybe make it a max of 8 but give the option to reduce it to say 5 or 6 if needed based on qualifying times. The cut-off will need to be worked out after a bit more track time.

Anyway my 2 cents

Cheers
Tim.

Last edited by Superkarter; 04-03-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 AM
Suspended

Good night of 12th racing tonight at Xray Raceway in Trackside Rc. The juniors Mason and Sean showed much promise again, out qualifying a number of the adults. Luke Sinanian had a special guest appearance in Jeff Hamons green machine and had a ball in the 2 quals he ran. And I was a sook and went home early because I am exhausted after a huge days work and now im going to bed. Will post up the qualifying sheet tomorrow as well as the finals sheet also.

Night
Old 04-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Awesome night guys!!!

Sausages were amazing.

Everyone enjoyed themselves and had fun, even if the finals were a bit crazy.

I am working on uploading results online, will let you know when i do.

Remember track is open 7 days for anyone wanting to do some testing.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Let's hope that all clubs in the South East can now be involved in 12th scale.
Certainly Trackside we be "the" facility for this class and I will certainly be supporting racing there.
That having been said all clubs have members with cars and I am sure club Organisers would welcome extra numbers.
I know the Sunshine Coast is hoping for more racers, they all still have their cars and would like the competition. They are all pretty new to racing and need to be encouraged to race outside of their own track. 1/12 is a great all rounder class excellent for all classes of racer.

Graham
Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by graham1234
Let's hope that all clubs in the South East can now be involved in 12th scale.
Certainly Trackside we be "the" facility for this class and I will certainly be supporting racing there.
That having been said all clubs have members with cars and I am sure club Organisers would welcome extra numbers.
I know the Sunshine Coast is hoping for more racers, they all still have their cars and would like the competition. They are all pretty new to racing and need to be encouraged to race outside of their own track. 1/12 is a great all rounder class excellent for all classes of racer.

Graham
I would have thought that Logan had gone out of their way to support 1/12th but with only three turning up today for the Interclub there I'm guessing that support might be in doubt now.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by heavy
I would have thought that Logan had gone out of their way to support 1/12th but with only three turning up today for the Interclub there I'm guessing that support might be in doubt now.
I think it is in doubt everywhere in Qld at the moment, but my club still has..I think 8 people with cars. So that still constitutes a good race day for the class.
I know they are hoping for a few extras next race meeting.

Graham
Old 04-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by graham1234
I think it is in doubt everywhere in Qld at the moment, but my club still has..I think 8 people with cars. So that still constitutes a good race day for the class.
I know they are hoping for a few extras next race meeting.

Graham
SUNNYCOAST HAD NO Drivers over the week end 'ZERO- NIL - NONE "

Very disappointing to say the least.

And What has happened to 1/12th

Sorry to post here

Shane "Disappointed' Hyde

Last edited by Swamp Rat; 04-05-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Swamp Rat
SUNNYCOAST HAD NO Drivers over the week end 'ZERO- NIL - NONE "

Very disappointing to say the least.

And What has happened to 1/12th

Sorry to post here

Shane "Disappointed' Hyde
There is a post on the SEQ 12th Scale page located here on facebook under SEQ12thScale that explains what happened to most of them.

Rob had to work
Steve and Mason had last minute family commitments
Richard is still dealing with a bad back
Johnny La went and raced pro tourer because none of his friends were going to be racing anymore.
No idea what happened to Jason and Sean, you would have to ask them.

Sorry you are disappointed Shane, just circumstance meant most could not attend. The 12th guys love Logan, it is a great track to race 12th on and I know Rob plans to try and get everyone down to Logan again a couple of weeks after Tamworth, he is a big believer in supporting those who support the class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.