Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread! >

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for the info mooony. Im getting the vortex 7.5 in a few weeks and if it does cog, i know now what to adjust and tweak. Can i ask what FDR your running, and does the vortex run alot cooler than the CMS motors??
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Drift Demon
thanks for the info mooony. Im getting the vortex 7.5 in a few weeks and if it does cog, i know now what to adjust and tweak. Can i ask what FDR your running, and does the vortex run alot cooler than the CMS motors??
I am running a FDR 8,70. I am going try this afternoon a FDR 9.86. The motor temp is about 136-148. Yesterday I changed the settings for the motor timing as the battery temps were very high as it was set in highest timing but even in the normal setting the temp was very high. I changed it to the lowest setting and the motor ran much better and battery temps where much cooler. It is very smooth and I think it runs better then the CM36. Even my laps times are better with the vortex.

I will try to post a picture of my settings and throttle curve before going to the track.

Ronald
Attached Thumbnails Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!-mm_settings.jpg   Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!-throttle_curve.jpg  

Last edited by mooony; 09-09-2007 at 06:40 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 09-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mooony
When I started I had the punch control in low setting. With this setting there was cogging when trying to pull away slowly. If I just pushed the throttle there was no cogging. When I changed the punch control to it's highest setting the cogging was allot less. I then changed the throttle curve and once I did this the cogging disappeared. The motor was very smooth. The other settings that I changedwas the drag brake but it was not for the cogging. I have to say that the Orion motor timing on the back was not in the center like it says in the manual but about 2 mm to left.

I will post later a picture of the throttle cure.

I heard that there is no effect of a endbell timing with a sensorless ESC.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xtaiji
I heard that there is no effect of a endbell timing with a sensorless ESC.
The reason I wrote that was that in the manual it says that it is dead center with the center soldering tab but on the motor it not.

Ronald
Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Default HPI Pro4

Hi guys... What is the maximum FDR for the Mamba 6900 in your experience I want to gear the HPI Pro4 for drag racing (I want to go fast) with 6 cell ib4200. at the moment I'm using 102 spur and 26 pinion (64pitch) for track racing... cheers
Old 09-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for posting those settings & throttle curve mooony. I was thinking for my settings

Punch - disabled or 50%
Drag brake - 10%
Start power - low
Timing - lowest

If i get stuttering with this setup, i will try to replucate your throttle curve if that is alright??
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

If i get stuttering with this setup, i will try to replucate your throttle curve if that is alright??
Sure no problem.

Yesterday I tried a FDR 9.86 and the temps stayed the same as with a FDR 8.70. The temp of the mamba was much lower 125 compared to 138. I had only had once some cogging with FDR 9.86 which I never had with an FDR 8.70.

Ronald
Old 09-11-2007, 05:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 5 cell Mamba MAX with Trinity N60 ? is it OK

is it OK for 5 cell Mamba MAX with Trinity N60 ? is it OK ?
and i would like to ask , any idea for adding external Cap ( 16v , 3300 uf ) to mamba max ?
thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 05:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Esc cut @ the middle of straight

I have a problem when use 6 cells on trinity N60 w/MM

I found that sometimes it will cut the operation in the middle of straight road and then work again.
should I set the cut off volt to no limit or 4V ..etc
thanks
Chow
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chowchowchow
I have a problem when use 6 cells on trinity N60 w/MM

I found that sometimes it will cut the operation in the middle of straight road and then work again.
should I set the cut off volt to no limit or 4V ..etc
thanks
Chow
voltage cut off is meant for lipos so for nimh i wouldnt use a cutoff, and the cutoff down the straight could be your radio glitching
Old 09-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Is the N60 a sensored or sensorless motor?

It could be (if the N60 is sensored) cogging. You can adjust your MM esc to run sensored motors with little to no cogging. Try adjusting your punch control, have start power at low, motor timing normal and see if the problem still persists...
Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Is the N60 a sensored or sensorless motor?

It could be (if the N60 is sensored) cogging. You can adjust your MM esc to run sensored motors with little to no cogging. Try adjusting your punch control, have start power at low, motor timing normal and see if the problem still persists...
N60 is un sensored, but it is a wye wind which is different than the mamba motors on some instances peole have blown up there mamba, that may be why your having some issues with the n60
Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default lowest timing for N60 trinity

Originally Posted by C_Suzuki
N60 is un sensored, but it is a wye wind which is different than the mamba motors on some instances peole have blown up there mamba, that may be why your having some issues with the n60
hi , thanks for your help !
I changed to lowest timing and it run well in tight track with 13.2 gear ration
to my 415 .
I know the cutoff volt is for Lipo only.
but i found the MM web page said that change the cutoff to 4V when use nimh battery too. so, I will try later.
But I found that LRP + 4.0 is better for touring race.
however I much like the mamba esc design with USB set up and always update their software.
I will not give up to use MM and I really want to see the second version of MM. I believe that they will do the very best besides the green color motor . it's long distance between the market brushless
Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Rookie

voltage cut off is meant for lipos so for nimh i wouldnt use a cutoff, and the cutoff down the straight could be your radio glitching
hi , thanks for your help !
I changed to lowest timing and it run well in tight track with 13.2 gear ration
to my 415 .
I know the cutoff volt is for Lipo only.
but i found the MM web page said that change the cutoff to 4V when use nimh battery too. so, I will try later.
But I found that LRP + 4.0 is better for touring race.
however I much like the mamba esc design with USB set up and always update their software.
I will not give up to use MM and I really want to see the second version of MM. I believe that they will do the very best besides the green color motor . it's long distance between the market brushless
newest link for MM, they say change 4v cutoff.
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...guide-pg2.html
Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 4v cutoff ?!

newest link for MM, they say change 4v cutoff.
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...guide-pg2.html

thanks for your help
i found their newest web said

1) Gearing is the best tool to tame (or get more) speed. Go down to the smallest pinion, and largest spur gear you can fit to your vehicle, and then slowly gear back up to wherever you’d like to be as you get used to the feel.
2) Timing advance makes a small difference in power, but it’s noticeable, so drop it down to the lowest setting
3) Manipulating the cutoff voltage can make a BIG difference, especially in punch and torque. If you’re running a 6 or 7 cell NiMH or NiCad pack, try using the custom 4v cutoff setting instead of no cutoff. This will greatly limit acceleration and speed. If you are using LiPo packs, try a custom cutoff voltage setting about a volt or two under the packs fully charged voltage. For 2 cell Lipo packs, a 7v cutoff voltage works well, and try a 10v or 11v cutoff setting for 3 cell Lipo packs.

Note: When you use an elevated cutoff voltage, the runtimes will be shorter because you aren’t using the whole capacity of the pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.