Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread! >

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Sidewinder green light flashing and no power- help

Hi,

I'm running with Sidewinder ESC with a VXL motor. When I recently transferred the system from my Slash to my Losi truck, the truck seems to have no power. The throttle cuts out and the green light flashes at full throttle. I've tried a couple different batteries with no change. Reprogramming the ESC with full throttle on the controller while switching on the ESC has not helped. Any feedback on this problem is appreciated.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Sidewinder problems

Hi,

I have my Sidewinder on a Traxxas Slash and I am using the VXL motor instead of the castle motor because I read that the Slash was too heavy for the castle motors and that the larger magnet in the VXL handled the weight better. Anyway, I had no problems hooking up and programming my ESC, the test run went great - the only problems was throwing the tires off of my beadloc rims I ran it a few more times after that, over the next couple of days. I have been very gentle with it and it hasn't seen any overheating, water, crashes, etc.

The other day I was running it around for a bit and then it just stopped and wouldn't responf to throttle. I checked the temp and it was warm, but not hot - same with the motor. The yellow light was blinking and the steering worked, but no response from throttle or brake. I knew I still had quite a bit of juice in my Tenergy 4200 7cell hump pack, but I figured my transmitter (stock traxxas) was getting low on batts and that was the issue. I switched to rechargable AAs in my transmitter a few days later and went to run the truck again yesterday.

Now the blinking yellow light steering is all I get from the ESC. I can't enter programming mode, it doesn't sound any tones when I turn it on or flash any lights other than yellow. I have tried playing with my transmitter settings (trim, servo reverse, etc.) and checking all the connections, but I still have no luck - just a blinking yellow light and steering.

As I said above, I have played with this alot trying to get it to work with different settings on the transmitter. There have been brief periods on two occasions when the ESC did sound some tones and act like it was receiving the signal, but when I attempted to calibrate it, I couldnt get it to respond correctly. I turned it off to try again with my servo reversed and still had problems calibrating - at times it seemed like it was going to work, then wouldn't. After trying this a few times it went back to the yellow light and I cant get anything else but yellow light and steering - no tones from the motor, no lights other than flashing yellow, wont enter programming mode.

PLEASE HELP I really like the castle product, but it is frustrating to see it acting up. Hopefully it can just be reset or something. I know I didnt damage it and it was working great at first. I have seen other postings with similiar issues and they seem to have been resolved but dont describe how.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by azdriver
Hi,

I'm running with Sidewinder ESC with a VXL motor. When I recently transferred the system from my Slash to my Losi truck, the truck seems to have no power. The throttle cuts out and the green light flashes at full throttle. I've tried a couple different batteries with no change. Reprogramming the ESC with full throttle on the controller while switching on the ESC has not helped. Any feedback on this problem is appreciated.
Try turning up the endpoints on the radio then reprogram. If it is moving and the light is flashing at full throttle it means that is not getting to full throttle. Mine has done this sometimes, I have had to program it a couple of times to get it right. Turn the brake up also and if you have too much brake turn the brake down on the ESC with the program and fine tune it at the track with the radio endpoint. I think I am running ~30 % brake on the computer.

Make sure that you got in the programming mode for the ESC I have seen several people have trouble getting the ESC to set until they get used to the way it sets to the radio
Old 04-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by plumslow
Try turning up the endpoints on the radio then reprogram. If it is moving and the light is flashing at full throttle it means that is not getting to full throttle.
Make sure that you got in the programming mode for the ESC I have seen several people have trouble getting the ESC to set until they get used to the way it sets to the radio
+1 plumslow
The MambaMax is the same ......What works for me is to have my transmitter on the throttle endpoint screen before I start the ESC's setup. That way I can bump up my end point until I get the ring tone's. The thing I like about the MM's setup is you can take your time, it will wait for you to set your transmeter to it thats cool !!!
I did a setup for a guy and nether of us new how to use his transmitter, I started the setup and I think it took me 5 min. to find his EPA and the ESC waited for us all that time. You just have to hold the throttle down until you find and move the EPA.

Last edited by Lazer Guy; 04-12-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sluggoman
I run the Sidewinder 5700 on my xxx-t cr. I'm running temps around 190+ with a 16 pinion, 86 spur on a loamy track. I'm worried about these temps. I have all the speed I need but can't keep the temps down. Anyone have suggestions?
I need some help getting my temps down. I tried going down to 14 pinion, and now I'm over 200.

What's odd is that I have another almost identical truck, but with the MM and 5700, and it's staying at 150-160 tops, mostly much lower.

Someone at my track suggested going the other way with the pinion...go bigger, and the motor won't work as hard for the same speed. Ran even hotter.

Someone want to get me some ideas, other than gearing, to bring temps down. And a final ruling on which way to go on gearing would be great. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just got back my MMM that Castle warrantied for me and I just wanted to say thanks for the service, excellent turnaround time, and just overall a good customer service experience. Thanks Phil
Old 04-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I need some help getting my temps down. I tried going down to 14 pinion, and now I'm over 200.

What's odd is that I have another almost identical truck, but with the MM and 5700, and it's staying at 150-160 tops, mostly much lower.

Someone at my track suggested going the other way with the pinion...go bigger, and the motor won't work as hard for the same speed. Ran even hotter.

Someone want to get me some ideas, other than gearing, to bring temps down. And a final ruling on which way to go on gearing would be great. Thanks in advance for your help!
What timing are you running? id try turing the timing down if your running any
Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
What timing are you running? id try turing the timing down if your running any
I'm running default (2). I'll try the low setting.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

How do you hook a sidewinder to a computer? I heard there is a way, but no place to put in the computer cord.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Sidewinder on 4 cell nimh pack?

Does anyone know if there are any future plans for the sidewinder to work on a rc12l4 carpet racer with a 4 cell nimh 4600 pack and 19 turn brushed motor?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How do you hook a sidewinder to a computer? I heard there is a way, but no place to put in the computer cord.
You would need this http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...stle_link.html it hooks onto your receiver plug.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cobracoupe5
Does anyone know if there are any future plans for the sidewinder to work on a rc12l4 carpet racer with a 4 cell nimh 4600 pack and 19 turn brushed motor?
I'm pretty sure it can work but the wiring is setup a little differently. If Joe sees this maybe he can help refresh my memory. I was going to run my MM in 4 cell and he told me once how to do it but I forget.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wyd
I'm pretty sure it can work but the wiring is setup a little differently. If Joe sees this maybe he can help refresh my memory. I was going to run my MM in 4 cell and he told me once how to do it but I forget.
If possible, can you have him post a wiring diagram?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cobracoupe5
If possible, can you have him post a wiring diagram?
I think it has to do with one of the servo wires needed cut and then solder it inline with the positive battery wire. Send Joe Ford an email at Castle. You might be able to call Castle and ask for someone in Tech Support to find out as well.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default JUNK SIDEWINDER JUNK SIDEWINDER

Originally Posted by wyd
I think it has to do with one of the servo wires needed cut and then solder it inline with the positive battery wire. Send Joe Ford an email at Castle. You might be able to call Castle and ask for someone in Tech Support to find out as well.
I talked to someone at tech support and at first he seemed to be very helpful. So, as instructed, I purchase a 4700uf electrolytic capacitor and *&#^er rig some wiring for it to still not work. When I called back again, the tech support consisted more of "Our product is better than everybody else's, maybe it's your receiver, well your radio seems to be the problem, or it must be your batteries, instead of actual helpful information. So......to make a long story short, I have a 4 day old piece of $75 junk that can't even run a 19t brushed motor. Everybody at my local track was making fun of me saying that's why no one here runs them because those sidewinder's are nothing but trouble. I guess they were right. Tonight I'll be ordering a LRP esc since those work as described.

!!!!!!!!!BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!! The saying "You get what you pay for" always seems to be true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.