Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin K
If you looked over the qualifying results from the Nats you will see that everyone else other then Brad were really close together in their mains.... Brad would still have TQed
I read a rumor on a South American RC forum that I follow, that BJ is ON THE JUICE. He's got a hookup with Venezuelan steroids these days is what I hear.......

Please let him know that if he shows up in Norridge we are now handing out Dixie cups.

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Last night we ran 10 car VTA race and I know for a fact, one of the guys had 19 turn with 4-cell. He was keeping up with 21.5 li-po on the straightway, but overall was only slightly better than 27 turn. I didn't mind, it was closer racing that way. My FDR was @ 4.55 for a pretty technical layout with busy infield and only 50-60 feet long straightway.
Rob
Old 04-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have never had a problem lasting 5 or even 8 minutes on a four cell pack. Granted my car wont get out of its own way and is cool enough to touch right off the track. Im running an old 3600mah 4cell pack. I think the weight loss does help. I think slowing it all down reduces the stress on the overall system. The first time I ever raced VTA I got second place. Not because I was good but because I was the only car running at the horn. Even the guy who got first had puked his battery. I just hadnt caught up with his laps when I ran out of time.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I have never had a problem lasting 5 or even 8 minutes on a four cell pack. Granted my car wont get out of its own way and is cool enough to touch right off the track. Im running an old 3600mah 4cell pack. I think the weight loss does help. I think slowing it all down reduces the stress on the overall system. The first time I ever raced VTA I got second place. Not because I was good but because I was the only car running at the horn. Even the guy who got first had puked his battery. I just hadnt caught up with his laps when I ran out of time.
ic.. so you really need a high mah to make sure you make it eh?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robus
Last night we ran 10 car VTA race and I know for a fact, one of the guys had 19 turn with 4-cell. He was keeping up with 21.5 li-po on the straightway, but overall was only slightly better than 27 turn. I didn't mind, it was closer racing that way. My FDR was @ 4.55 for a pretty technical layout with busy infield and only 50-60 feet long straightway.
Rob
Well the reasonable thing to do would be to invest in a 21.5 and LIpo and be legal so theres no argument. But right now the racing funds are a little dry. I really dont think the guys will care. Its highly unlikely that I will be on the podium.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I have several tired 4 cell packs and a tired 27turn. I know Im not the best driver and keeping it off its roof makes for better lap times. But even on the straight, that car is somebodies lunch. I was thinking about putting a tired 19 turn in it. I think it would still be slower than the 21.5 cars.
You can't compete in ANY racing class with tired anything. The rules in USVTA weren't based on tired equipment—they were based on high quality, fresh batteries and pro-tuned brushed motors versus the brushless and LiPo counterparts. If you are down on power with brushed motors and round cells, it's because you aren't pumping time and money into them—just like in all other classes. This isn't a class for your tired junk to run up at the front. There are no basher classes in racing.

The best part about LiPos and brushless motors is the fact that you don't need to constantly babysit your electronics or replace them every week with something newer and better. At the pointy end of any type of racing, there will most certainly be guys who will try to outspend everyone with the newest and largest/fastest/most powerful stuff, but anyone who gets the point of this class will be laughing at those yahoos who are doing it in Trans Am.

It's really imperative that you, as VTA racers, understand why you are racing this class, and why you enjoy it so much. And please don't let other people who insist on trying to ruin every class they touch with "the next big thing" change how YOU feel about this class. This class is what YOU make it.

If I made these class rules ONE brushless motor and ONE LiPo battery, ONE tire, ONE body, ONE chassis... you would all still find the time to complain about the guys who go out and buy 5 motors to find the best one, or the guys using a new set of tires for every run, or the guys superheating their LiPos for that extra perceived percent.

Make your chassis setup carry perfect blistering corner speeds. Make your driving flawless with no mistakes for every heat you put it down. When you can do that every time on every track, then come and talk to me about the 'rules inequities.'

d

Last edited by squarehead; 04-23-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jhwnissan
ic.. so you really need a high mah to make sure you make it eh?
Well surely if I gear the car better it will eat more juice, but usually I dont hear anybody struggling with making 8min.
I can see where you got that everyone was having a hard time making eight minutes, but it was the first race and everyone had overgeared.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 04-23-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
The best part about LiPos and brushless motors is the fact that you don't need to constantly babysit your electronics or replace them every week with something newer and better. At the pointy end of any type of racing, there will most certainly be guys who will try to outspend everyone with the newest and largest/fastest/most powerful stuff, but anyone who gets the point of this class will be laughing at those yahoos who are doing it in Trans Am.
I know I'm laughing at those guys. Run the specs and make sure you have the right gearing (in spec) and JUST *&@#!#% RACE!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

You can't compete in ANY racing class with tired anything. The rules in USVTA weren't based on tired equipment—they were based on high quality, fresh batteries and pro-tuned brushed motors versus the brushless and LiPo counterparts. If you are down on power with brushed motors and round cells, it's because you aren't pumping time and money into them—just like in all other classes. This isn't a class for your tired junk to run up at the front. There are no basher classes in racing.

It's really imperative that you, as VTA racers, understand why you are racing this class, and why you enjoy it so much. And please don't let other people who insist on trying to ruin every class they touch with "the next big thing" change how YOU feel about this class. This class is what YOU make it.

If I made these class rules ONE brushless motor and ONE LiPo battery, ONE tire, ONE body, ONE chassis... you would all still find the time to complain about the guys who go out and buy 5 motors to find the best one, or the guys using a new set of tires for every run, or the guys superheating their LiPos for that extra perceived percent.

Make your chassis setup carry perfect blistering corner speeds. Make your driving flawless with no mistakes for every heat you put it down. When you can do that every time on every track, then come and talk to me about the 'rules inequities.'

d
I think that just about covers everything. Well said.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You can't compete in ANY racing class with tired anything......

.......Make your chassis setup carry perfect blistering corner speeds. Make your driving flawless with no mistakes for every heat you put it down. When you can do that every time on every track, then come and talk to me about the 'rules inequities.'

d
Take'em to Church Doug.....
Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Can I get an AMEN brother Kane?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well the reasonable thing to do would be to invest in a 21.5 and LIpo and be legal so theres no argument. But right now the racing funds are a little dry. I really dont think the guys will care. Its highly unlikely that I will be on the podium.
I think he fried his 27 turn (he was over geared, oh yeah we could smell it)
Rob
Old 04-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are no basher classes in racing.
succinct. (my manlove meter is peaking at an all-time high).

admittedly, i don't run vta much (shut it, kane ), but i like the (highly misinterpreted) spirit of the class. locally, we have guys that get upset if anyone remotely competent races vta. we have guys that get bothered by people racing it that aren't in the points. i know it's messed up when someone comes to me saying, 'can you believe that donny dix is racing vta'? (when i know that most of us put 3 laps on mr. dix the prior week).

after all this, i'm walking around thinking ... how 'average' (yes, in quotes) a racer do you have to be to get acceptance in vta? i'm pretty sure that was never a perception that doug (and most others who enjoy the class) wanted anyone to come away with.

doug, if you're ever in cleveland ...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Its like the common sense fairy just popped in here and sprinkled some dust around.....I don't know what to think.

Seaball....I will be out your way Monday going to see the Tribe play the Red Sox. So if you need any VTA tips I will be around to share them with you.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Its like the common sense fairy just popped in here and sprinkled some dust around.....
i think his name is doug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.