Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I totally understand bending the rules a bit to make it easier for more people to get involved. That's why we're doing 6-cell for example. More people can use what they have and what they're familiar with to get started out. The body is different. I guess if you happen to have a '68 Camaro body laying around that already has a modern touring car neon fade paint job and add-on wing it would be ok for a while until you could spring for a proper body...but the other 99.9999% of people getting into T/A have to buy a new body. Why not paint it at least somewhat like a vintage T/A car?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=TwoTone;4650493]
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
if you keep the cost down...you will have more "FUN"...every week the class grows..we started around 15...now we have over 40 involed...no we didnt go by the book, but we did make adjustments for the class to grow..and we will start bitting down on the rules...just remember if it isnt FUN...its TC...QUOTE]

Where are you running, 40 seems like a lot.

its not alot..when you keep the cost down...you make the racing more fun... when you have alot of $$$$ playing a roll in r/c you take everything so serious
this is what is bringing in so many ppl to be racing this class...attitudes and family enviroment help as well...go by the rules..but even in the intro they want to keep it fun...make sure they have bodies,tires/rims,motors,weight, and ride height..that are close as possible...but let them run and keep them to get "CORRECT"...once bitten..you might have a contender....

we added up all the "TA" that have gotten involved in this class since May 2008 and we have a total of 43...with only 1 guy that I know of that has quit...and he quit cause he moved back to NC...we run around twice a month and we run indoors and outdoors...we all have different schedules so we have different racers at different times...but running 18-25 TA's on any raceday is by far the class to race...and most of these guys are fairly new..

just keep your cost down and talk to your racers and about whats best for your track and TA...cya and happy racing
Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is one other reason I run this class (other than it being fun) and that is because unless I hit the lottery I probably won't be able to afford maintaining another '67 Fastback. Still kicking myself for getting rid of that car, even though it didn't have the correct motor/transmission.

Which leads me to a bit of rant - why does everyone have to try to restore every '67 Fastback into an Eleanor clone and why does Foose find ways to screw up perfectly good '60s/70's muscle cars.

Sorry....and now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I totally understand bending the rules a bit to make it easier for more people to get involved. That's why we're doing 6-cell for example. More people can use what they have and what they're familiar with to get started out. The body is different. I guess if you happen to have a '68 Camaro body laying around that already has a modern touring car neon fade paint job and add-on wing it would be ok for a while until you could spring for a proper body...but the other 99.9999% of people getting into T/A have to buy a new body. Why not paint it at least somewhat like a vintage T/A car?

I agree with that...alot of our new guys have rtr...and the race director allowed them to run whatever came with the rtr...they will tear it up anyway...so let them tear it up and once they improve on driving skill then make them pony up for a new body....paint isnt being pushed very hard, except for concourse contest...but numbers are needed as well as decals

this is still fairly new and lets all just work together to keep it from being a fly-by-night...I push this class to the limit and do whatever I can to keep it going....build cars, do give-a-ways, help with setups, anything to help out...so of you should do the same....TA all the way...YUMMY
Old 07-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
There is one other reason I run this class (other than it being fun) and that is because unless I hit the lottery I probably won't be able to afford maintaining another '67 Fastback. Still kicking myself for getting rid of that car, even though it didn't have the correct motor/transmission.

Which leads me to a bit of rant - why does everyone have to try to restore every '67 Fastback into an Eleanor clone and why does Foose find ways to screw up perfectly good '60s/70's muscle cars.

Sorry....and now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Yeah! And '67 isn't even right, the 'real' and original Eleanor was a '73 Mach 1!
Old 07-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Nash's paint scheme isn't that far off of vintage... it just looks like a color blind attempt at the Donohue Javelin.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

What do you guys use to glue the foam insert onto the rubber, or do you? CA too hard? What about rubber cement? All the way around or four dots? What works best?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=DARKSIDE;4650444]aint it nice to be back on the same page TQ...lol...come get some
QUOTE]

Nope. I'm not nice. I don't even know what book your reading from. Stop calling me TQ. ...bout threw you under the bus, I know were Nash got the cheater spoiler ideal...ops guess I did anyways. at least you do have vintage paint!

Sorry I'm just having my FUN. don't give me that don't say nothing if it aint positive crap here too.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobbyS
Yeah! And '67 isn't even right, the 'real' and original Eleanor was a '73 Mach 1!
Someone else that remembers the Original and IMHO better 'Gone in 60 seconds'

Hollywood has really run out of ideas- so many movies now a days are remakes.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

What do you guys use to glue the foam insert onto the rubber, or do you? CA too hard? What about rubber cement? All the way around or four dots? What works best?
You don't want to glue the foam to anything, CA on the foam won't be good, will harden and not be even like the rest of the foam. just make sure it's seated well and not bunched up. I like to clean the bead areas of the tire and scuff up the rim bead area for better adhesion. You can us any CA glue, some is thinner or thicker which will spread faster or slower and dry faster or slower. I glue all the way around. the main thing is to get the tire bead seated properly before you move on....once it's dried you won't be moving it and you goal should be to get them as round as possible..no bunched up foam or no unevenly seated beads.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Cool!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I don't know of anyone gluing the foam inserts. Stuff 'em and glue the tires to the wheels. We're not spinning them hard enough to really make that big of a difference.

Remember guys, when in doubt with a Trans Am chassis... KEEP IT SIMPLE.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

I had the same concern as Nash about not being able to spot my car but instead of his approach I just viewed the Vintage TA photographs until I found a color scheme that stood out. So it is easy to spot and still keeping with the original style livery for the class.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-pict0038-small.jpg  
Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

[QUOTE=speedsterblade;4650636]
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
aint it nice to be back on the same page TQ...lol...come get some
QUOTE]

Nope. I'm not nice. I don't even know what book your reading from. Stop calling me TQ. ...bout threw you under the bus, I know were Nash got the cheater spoiler ideal...ops guess I did anyways. at least you do have vintage paint!

Sorry I'm just having my FUN. don't give me that don't say nothing if it aint positive crap here too.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
See? It's ok because his other cars are really ugly, too!

This is called Trans Am peer pressure and harassment. All future spray bombs and no-detail paint jobs are subjected to same or worse treatment. Public humiliation is likely and enjoyed by all. Stonings are optional. All rights reserved.
I love the USVTA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.