Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Reprogrammed the ESC and reverse works much better now. Also took the time to replace the stock servo with a much better unit and an aluminum steering horn. It made a huge difference in the steering feel and response.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:21 PM
Tech Initiate

parts availability for this truck sucks! finally broke my front bumper and everywhere is showing out of stock. horizon's site just went from 2/8 availability to now early may! shitty!
Old 02-01-2017, 04:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Finally got the links done. used one M3 washer next to each ball to take up the tiny amount of slack. The parts I used were Traxxas 5347 and Traxxas 5338r.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Tech Rookie

I love this truck, got a spektrum S6040 servo and tekin rx8 sensored setup. I don't plan to run more than 2s, but took the ideas and information here and tore through the truck replacing all the bearings and screws with stainless steel counterparts. I am currently shopping for wheels/tires. What do you guess think of trencher sc tires on beadlock? This is just for bashing I guess.

I am also one of the many that need a new front bumper, I emailed t-bone racing about making one for the rey, but never got a message back??

Also sifting through websites for upgrades, I found vanquish makes steel upper links for our trucks. Not a bad way to spend $12, so I ordered a set. I'll try to post pics here when I get them
Old 02-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Nice find Smoovy. I've bent one alredy. Just ordered them for mine.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Smoovy
got a spektrum S6040 servo
I upgraded to a spektrum s6050 in mine. New servo really livens the steering up, especially the steering speed.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Converted all my other RCs over to XT90s and was able to do the same to the Baja Rey.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Good work. I'm hoping to do the same with Castle polarized 6.5 bullets once I get my Rey.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I should do that. I also use XT90 plugs, and I've been lazy and just left the cord dangling out the back.

Also, now I finally know what that little clip on the outside of the battery door is for.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Here is some pics I snapped of the vanquish upper links. These are solid steel

EDIT* finally got the pics working...

Last edited by Smoovy; 02-06-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smoovy
Here is some pics I snapped of the vanquish upper links. These are solid steel

EDIT* I'm not sure the links to my pics are working...
Mine should arrive soon. Not sure why pictures didn't post.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Installed aluminum rear arms today. Also added a little color to the stock wheels and fuel cell since i was sitting there thinking all black was a little too dull.
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_0635%5B1%5D.jpg   Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_0637%5B1%5D.jpg   Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_0636%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

The Vanquish upper links look good. The Traxxas ones I made before Vanquish came out with theirs should do fine, though.

I got a shipment notification from Horizon for the aluminum servo-saver. Now I'm slowly installing my stockpile of upgrade parts. The remaining ones will involve removing the rollcage, so they're going to all get done at once when the servo-saver arrives.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello All. I have one of these trucks coming in tomorrow and have some preventative maint questions.

1. I hear that this truck comes with a crummy servo and needs oil on the rear diff. Planning to tackle that, and have a Spektrum servo ready to go.
2. Planning to use some traxxas turnbuckles up front.
3. Might change there rear upper links to a special carbon setup.

Anything else. I did read through much of the threads here, but planning on setting mine up as a track basher (in other words I suck at driving at our track, and crash a lot).
Old 02-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

1. All the diffs, not just the rear diff. You need to remove all the diffs and wash them before applying proper grease to the ring and pinion gears. While you have the diffs removed, you should consider refilling them too. The rear diff is locked, so that doesn't need any changes, but I used 30,000wt silicone oil in the center diff to transfer more power to the rear wheels when accelerating, and plain grease in the front diff to reduce the likelihood of traction-rolling, and I continue to be happy with this setup.

2) I also used Traxxas turnbuckles on the front steering links. They are a good upgrade. I don't remember the part number though, because I just took the truck to my hobby shop and compared various lengths of Traxxas turnbuckles until I found one that was the right size. You will need some thin washers to take up the extra space in the mounting points, because the ball-ends will be a little too small compared to the original Losi parts. They work fine once shimmed and installed though.

3) Carbon-fiber upper links is an interesting idea, but overkill for this vehicle. It's a heavy truck, and a couple small pieces of carbon-fiber won't reduce the weight enough for you to notice. Strong and inexpensive are the two important characteristics for upgrades on this truck; weight doesn't matter much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.