Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rcdad42
I think this year's body looks better than last year's colors. I'm surprised that they didn't make 400 of them but then it's likely a smaller subset of people that collect rc trucks, and the mint 400 stuff.
Guess it's a 'preference' thing. People who prefer red will prefer this year's colors, and people (like me) who prefer blue will prefer last year's colors. If Losi is still a sponsor next year, and they produce another Mint 400 Limited Edition, who knows what the primary color (other than black) it'll be - green, orange, purple?
Rcdad42 likes this.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Personally, I like blue more than red. I just think this year's color combo is more striking than last year's. I think it depends on how much Horizon views the mint as good product advertisement. If their selling all the limited boxes, and getting bumps in product sales that exceed their costs, they will likely continue to do limited trucks. I could see them doing a yellow next year if the tenacity tt pro gets a new body.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My local hobby shop had the last Mint 400 model for sale for a long time. I like the red cage on new model.
Rcdad42 likes this.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Just a slight update, I heard from losi that there are going to be 600. Which is more than I expected, each one is going to have a serial number of some sort. While cool, I'm not sure that adds much to the value.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Here she is mostly finished. It has been finished just haven't had time to post up and figured I would shake it down for a bit.

Hot racing front aluminum diff housing in black.
Losi aluminum front strut tower
Pro-line shocks 45wt oil
losi turn buckles
losi aluminum hubs
losi aluminum steering linkages
6250 spektrum servo
srs6000 receiver with voltage
New stock front axles, center shaft, rear axles, all were bent...
HR motor fan.
losi upper and lower aluminum links
HR 3rd member ( 1 shim on each side of the diff and 2 shims on pinion)
GPM upper link mount
New tires
Pro-line F11 bead locks.
Pro-line xt's 60 wt oil.
New body shoe gooed and drywall taped.

There is no proline spring kit for the XT's. So I got a spring kit for both rear and front for the slash. I ended up with red/green combo for the front and red/red for the rear.
The 60wt and the stock springs for the xt worked to reduce the endo's and it landed really nice in the big hucks. But in the choppy bumps the rebound was a little slow. So the red springs helped with that while keeping the bucking to a minimum.

I put 30k in the front diff, 100k in the middle, and locked the rear. On the surface I run on which is loose DG it works nicely. Does not turn as sharp as it used to but nothing a little brake slide and throttle punch to swing it around. Is it perfect? I dont think so. Is it way better then stock? O yes. Def does not seem to diff out as much as it used to.

Broke one end off a lower link coming up short on a big jump. More like ripped it off. Luckily losi sells the replacement ends for a few bucks

The stock tires were so full of sand that when I gave it throttle it would vibrate so hard. I purchased new tires and started using acetone to remove old tires and re use rims....and said screw it an got the F11 beadlocks. They work OK. If I land crooked on the side etc it will pop the inside bead out. It has happened 3 times now on each rear tire. I am going to glue the inside bead on so it still is removable to clean out any sand that gets in etc.

I put one of the stock tires that is full of sand on the rear spare mount. Def helped by adding some weight back there. Somebody needs to make some stiffeners for the cage..doubleclutchproductions is suppose to have something in the works.

Hopefully I will add some new updated pics soon

Old 02-22-2023, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

does anyone know what springs fit on the stock baja rey shocks? I want the front to be a little stiffer but don't exactly want to spend $130 on proline front and rear shocks just yet...
Old 03-03-2024, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions??

Alright, I've searched through this thread and it seems like we should be greasing the diffs right away. Unfortunately I did not see that until something broke. Just to give you an idea I went through 26 packs and now when I pull the throttle, I can hear the motor spinning but the wheels barely turn and there is not much power. What could be causing this? Pinion or something else in the center diff? I got the roll cage off but having a helluva time getting to that center diff!!
Old 03-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gm72
Alright, I've searched through this thread and it seems like we should be greasing the diffs right away. Unfortunately I did not see that until something broke. Just to give you an idea I went through 26 packs and now when I pull the throttle, I can hear the motor spinning but the wheels barely turn and there is not much power. What could be causing this? Pinion or something else in the center diff? I got the roll cage off but having a helluva time getting to that center diff!!
First thing I'd suggest checking is the motor...see if the pinion is still holding strong, or slipping. If slipping, that's the cause. If holding, that's when you start working your way down the drivetrain. Although, I should have first asked if this is affecting all 4 wheels, or only the front/rear. If all 4, above applies...but, if only front/rear, that's when you start with the center, and then work your way in the direction of the end not rotating.
gm72 likes this.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Panther6834
First thing I'd suggest checking is the motor...see if the pinion is still holding strong, or slipping. If slipping, that's the cause. If holding, that's when you start working your way down the drivetrain. Although, I should have first asked if this is affecting all 4 wheels, or only the front/rear. If all 4, above applies...but, if only front/rear, that's when you start with the center, and then work your way in the direction of the end not rotating.
Yeah, it turns out that it is the front. Broken pieces everywhere. I ordered a new front diff assembly but I'm having trouble getting the old 14T pinion gear out. Got the set screw out but how are you supposed to get this part out? Nowhere to pull or push it out. Do I need to tear it down more to get it out?
Old 03-11-2024, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gm72
Yeah, it turns out that it is the front. Broken pieces everywhere. I ordered a new front diff assembly but I'm having trouble getting the old 14T pinion gear out. Got the set screw out but how are you supposed to get this part out? Nowhere to pull or push it out. Do I need to tear it down more to get it out?
In all probability, yes. But, such is also for the best, as you can then thoroughly clean every part. The last thing you'd want is tiny pieces still inside the diff housing, which could lead to a similar thing happening. When I rebuild a diff/diff housing, I don't just disassemble, dump fluid, and rebuild. It doesn't matter if it's the transmission, diff/diff housing, shocks, or something else...I completely disassemble, thoroughly clean every part (inside a sonic jewellery cleaner filled with a mixture of Simple Green & water), and then rebuild.