Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChaoticVillain
So I want to run my Baja Rey on 3s, just bought an aluminum rear end pumpkin, wondering what gear oil I should put in it. Do I have to change my pinion gear on the motor as well?
If you want to run 3S, I'd HIGHLY recommend you read through the threads on R/C Tech, as well as RCC & RC Groups, particularly those who gone the 3S route. You'll need to do a LOT more than just change the rear axle & motor pinion. For starters, from all I've read, the bearings need to be replaced with higher quality bearings (the 'stock c ones are, evidently, "junk"), the rear trailing arms & upper links need to be replaced, the steering/camber links need to be replaced, a lower kV motor needs to be installed, plus you'll probably want to replace the lower (and possibly upper) Ah arms. Put another way, you'll spend as much on the upgrades as you initially did on the vehicle, itself. I'm in the process of doing all I mentioned, and more. For those who attempted 3S before doing any upgrades, according to what I've read, they learned expensive lessons. It's probably better to upgrade first, then try 3S. I'm not asking you to take my word on this, but the word of all those who've already tried it.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well said Panther. I think you’ll find that most found that 2s worked better. Might be bit slower then I’d once have wanted. But on 2s I see why so many had been asking about solid axle for so long. Something I never got until I drove one.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

After 3 years

Steve B in Vega likes this.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Panther6834
For those who attempted 3S before doing any upgrades, according to what I've read, they learned expensive lessons. It's probably better to upgrade first, then try 3S. I'm not asking you to take my word on this, but the word of all those who've already tried it.
While I agree that a lot of people have had some issues on 3S without doing any upgrades to their trucks, I'm in the camp that has exclusively run 3S (dropped the motor pinion, and added the SSD Aluminum Rear Member) and haven't touched anything else except maybe a servo (because I wanted faster, not because the original failed). The BR has been my most solid performer over the years without having any driveline type issues. Simply cracking bodies and bumpers has been my only issue because I make it fly off my kicker ramp (def not recommended, but still fun). So yes, there are some out there who drive the heck out of them and don't have issues. I'm one of them. I've got three of them, and maybe it's my driving style, but they've been really good.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:05 AM
Tech Addict

I finally got started on the upgrades for my BR. For those interested, look for my 'build up' thread in the RCC forum. For the rest of you, today's upgrades involved the front upper & lower A-arms, rear trailing arms, servo, and receiver (this last one because I plan to use my 7PX, as I do with all my other vehicles, plus I'm using the SR-Mode of the Rx). There are several other upgrades coming, leading to 3S running ability, but they'll all be covered in the aforementioned RCC thread.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just picked up a Baja Rey. Diffs are making some noise, so I was going to clean out the grease and use diff fluid.

Any recommendations on viscosity? What about shock fluid?

New to desert style trucks, and 4wd. Any tips would be awesome.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by joelnefph
Just picked up a Baja Rey. Diffs are making some noise, so I was going to clean out the grease and use diff fluid.

Any recommendations on viscosity? What about shock fluid?

New to desert style trucks, and 4wd. Any tips would be awesome.
I can't speak for others, but, when I rebuilt all three diffs (using the Ekotek machined diff cups), I put 15K in the front & center, and 80K in the rear. As for the shocks (Pro-Line PowerStroke up front, PowerStroke XL in the rear), I can't remember...but, I think I'm running 35wt in the front, and 30wt in the rear.
flysullivan likes this.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Has anyone had this terrible rear diff grinding problem?

Here are two people on YT who documented their problems:

Old 07-01-2020, 08:59 AM
Tech Rookie

I did on mine. Opened her up to find the diffs were bone dry. Put 10k oil in front and rear diffs
Old 07-07-2020, 09:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Got a new Rey on the way...

what are the must haves?

what shock oil you guys running?

ride height?

Any other tips/ tricks?!?

Weird the rear diff is open on the gen2’s. The first gens had a locker in the rear.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The pinion gear on the rear diff likes to melt bearings and can change the gear mesh on the rear end.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey! So I had about a month and a few days of almost every day running the Baja Rey. After a few tweeks to the Shocks and learning to drive(last rc I had was when the rustler was brand new) it stopped nose diving all the time. So much fun even on 2s. Not touching a 3s. One day it just made this horrible grinding/crunching noise for a few seconds and went away...

Well battery was about dead so I packed it up. Checked it over and noticed the rear output had what I felt was ex essive play. Thought maybe it was it. But after stripping it completely down.... I think it was the fact a ton of dirt was all inside the trans housing and just got ground up for a few seconds.

So Started reading on fixes and upgrades.... Well a good chunk of change later...

Could not get the rear axle together and turning smoothly, found out the axles were bent.... Got new axles and smooth as butter.

Got it all together and was just bench running it...the trans is super loud... It is dry right now so not sure if greasing it is going to quiet it down or not... But Center driveshaft is bent.... And front axles are bent....

Has anyone ever bent these before!!!!??? Besides nose diving and a few tight turn rollovers it was never crashed hard. Always on soft dirt.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Mint 400 baja rey
Old 03-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rcdad42
This is similar to last year's "Mint 400 Limited Edition", with a few changes. Last year's had a black cage, the 'Ford' logo in the grill was black, and the paint job on the body was different.

It should be mentioned, when they say "Limited Edition", they truly mean it...at least, for last year's, they did. I am drawing a 'blank', but, if I remember correctly, last year's consisted of only 200, or 400 (although, it might have actually been less, as one source reported only 130 units being produced), with half designated for US retailers, and half for the rest of the world...and, thankfully, I got one of them (to preserve the body, I removed it, along with the wheels, and mounted it on a spare cage). While the great majority of parts were the same parts found on the 'standard' Ford Raptor Baja Rey, and replacements could be purchased, there was NO possibility of purchasing a replacement body - Losi produced the exact number of bodies to match the number of Mint 400 RTRs being produced. In regards to obtaining a replacement body, chances are that the 2021 edition will be no different. I have tried to find out how many are being produced this year, just to compare against last year's, but (so far) have been unable to find out. Personally, between this year's, and last year's, I much prefer last year's.

This is my other take on a "Baja Rey"...talk about a Force to be reckoned with.

Rcdad42 and Steve B in Vega like this.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

I think this year's body looks better than last year's colors. I'm surprised that they didn't make 400 of them but then it's likely a smaller subset of people that collect rc trucks, and the mint 400 stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.