Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Finally some track time in the Baja Rey

So I took my Baja Rey to the track yesterday. After driving my v2 SCTE for a bit I drove the El Rey. The track was a dry blue groove track called Indy RC in Dallas. FWIW, I am not so much scale guy, but like the idea of taking more of a true desert race truck setup, and seeing how to make it fast in an RC application. I know this truck will never be as fast as my SCTE, but it is fun to play with.

On the track this thing is hot on a 3s. Really fast which was fun.

So observations.
1. It bucks really hard off the lip on jumps. Gotta either dial down the rear shocks a bit or soften the springs.
2. Also the diffs may need some tweaking. The back would spin around really quick on me at slow speed corners.
3. It also was a bit roll friendly. I have always wanted to play with the front end of this truck some, to get some camber in them front wheels. I ordered the Rock Rey parts to switch around some things. We will see if that helps get some front end bight on fast corners, and keep it from rolling so fast. I am also thinking that the back end springs being a touch stiff might be causing the nose to dive in corners thus helping it want to roll. So in other words stay tuned for some reports on how all this goes.

Comparing this to a SC truck, this thing really carries a majority of its weight closer to the front, right?. That will take some serious tuning to work through IMHO. So in other worlds really softening the back end some will be key, but it may also really finally force some reliance on the sway bar setup.

Lastly. Anyone know of any tires out there that will have the same volume as the stock ones, but with a more friendly track compound?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Got my Rey down to the track for its first race, took some getting used to for sure!
Absolutely nothing like my SCT410 lol.
Of course being a scale-bashing build, i expected as much. I got some fun footage and the full thing on Cab-Cam which I've been hyped to do for months. Several of the other members there had a good laugh watching it haul around the track, especially when I honk at marshals in a crash

A little practice I could probably get my laps to 38s or so, but never the 34 my tekno does.

https://youtu.be/ld91SHU0OP8
Old 04-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

More garage shots as requested of Rc Bombshells' custom build.

Wallpaper shots of this custom painted Losi Baja Rey by RC Bombshells in a Monster Energy matte finish. All painted graphics.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Don't ask about garage. I know nothing!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:39 AM
Tech Initiate

That looks FANTASTIC!
Can you give us the tires/rims/beadlock info?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Wheels are insane. Around $380 to put that package together. Just for show!

Better have your big boy pants on when you saddle up for these wheels

Vanquish Method 105 2.2 Wide Wheel BK/CL $86 a pair (and I have a spare!)
Vanquish 2.2 Original Beadlock Green (discontinued) $8.55 each
Vanquish SLW Hex Hubs 225 $14.99
RC4WD DUNE TA 2.2 (Z-T0013) $20 a pair
LockedUPRC Acorn wheel studs 1230-440x.25" $15
LockedUPRC MCZ 1220-1-64x7 scale method bolts ($15 @) x2

I'd let all (5) go brand new for $300 shipped if you have the pockets. They were only used for this photo shoot.

PM for details.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Started having fun with my Baja Rey yesterday until it got stuck at it's front right corner while steered to left. I was turning it left but miscalculated so it hit the pile of wood and gut stuck there. I was trying to reverse it but accidentally steered right and that started the problem. When I pulled the truck out, the wheels remained steered to left and turning the knob all the way to right just makes the wheels steer to center. I had to turn the ST adjustment all the way to right to make the wheels center again. To continue the fun, I drove it this afternoon and now the problem worsen. I'm now hearing clicking sound when steering both to left and right and the wheels sometimes don't steer anymore. I don't have a hex screw driver yet to remove the cover and see what the problem is inside. It's holidays here so the shops are close until Sunday. I can't wait to know what the problem is and I hope to get ideas from you guys. I hope the servo is not broken and that there's just something that got loose.

Last edited by leop; 04-14-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rascalbum
I upgraded to a spektrum s6050 in mine. New servo really livens the steering up, especially the steering speed.
Looks like my servo needs upgrade too. Is s6050 or s6040 all I need to purchase and it's compatible to connecting parts?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by leop
Started having fun with my Baja Rey yesterday until it got stuck at it's front right corner while steered to left. I was turning it left but miscalculated so it hit the pile of wood and gut stuck there. I was trying to reverse it but accidentally steered right and that started the problem. When I pulled the truck out, the wheels remained steered to left and turning the knob all the way to right just makes the wheels steer to center. I had to turn the ST adjustment all the way to right to make the wheels center again. To continue the fun, I drove it this afternoon and now the problem worsen. I'm now hearing clicking sound when steering both to left and right and the wheels sometimes don't steer anymore. I don't have a hex screw driver yet to remove the cover and see what the problem is inside. It's holidays here so the shops are close until Sunday. I can't wait to know what the problem is and I hope to get ideas from you guys. I hope the servo is not broken and that there's just something that got loose.
By the description I'd say the servo horn stripped or just came loose. Probably stripped. Most have replaced with aluminum servo horn.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
By the description I'd say the servo horn stripped or just came loose. Probably stripped. Most have replaced with aluminum servo horn.
Hi Billy, thanks for the reply.

I hope it's just the horn. Can you recommend a good replacement?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Hi Billy, thanks for the reply.

I hope it's just the horn. Can you recommend a good replacement?
It's in this video. I was suggested it by another owner. There is a much easier way to take cage off. Have to go back few pages to find it.

https://youtu.be/XB2nCZZ4VF4
leop likes this.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
It's in this video. I was suggested it by another owner. There is a much easier way to take cage off. Have to go back few pages to find it.
Nice. Thanks for sharing Billy. I really appreciate your help.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Nice. Thanks for sharing Billy. I really appreciate your help.
No problem. I post video for almost every run. Good or bad. Haven't run mine in few weeks. Need to get it back out. Just haven't found decent spot for it. It's only early spring but grass at parks is already getting too tall for it. And not much dirt in my area of the suburbs.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Front gearing having loud noises

The front gear housing is not good enough to hold the power. See The Central part have open up abit. I use for a few times it starts giving loud noises. The housing is out of shape. Have to replace the housing and gear again. Anyone have the same problem?
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_3990.jpg  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Tech Rookie

So far the Baja Rey with a few mods (boca bearings, metal concepts 3rd member) is holding up well on 3s. The aluminium is taking a bit of a beating though!
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_7911.jpg   Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_7912.jpg   Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread-img_7913.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.