Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

anyone try the novak update board for the xdrive gtb2's??
Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
What are peoples opinions of "Outlaw" VTA. I am asking because there are a few tracks that are starting classes in the area, and people keep asking what are the rules for VTA. I thought it was simple with the USVTA website and all, but apparently that doesn't cut it. People want to run 13.5 or faster and adjustable ESC's. I think doing that kind of defeats the purpose of VTA in general.
My opinion is that you should run VTA rules as closely as possible. We run "Outlaw" with 21.5 motors in So Cal because so many of the UF1 group also wanted to run VTA with the 21.5 they already have. It was a reasonable compromise made to build the class while keeping close to the intended spirit of VTA.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
If any track/location is trying to build a USVTA class and the majority of the racers want to run faster motors, adjustable speed controls, bigger batteries then I suggest building a USGT class instead. USGT rules (also found on the USVTA website) are much more open, which may be better for individual tracks/groups of racers.

ROAR rules for VTA can also be a good place to start, but you need to tech the cars to make sure everyone is running in blinky.
I would tend to agree, but if its not an old classic car or a new mustang or camaro, most of these guys dont want to drive it. Some of them want to run single digit wind motors. Go fast or go home menatlity.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We had guys complain about having to buy a Novak motor for VTA so our track allows 21.5 motors but we run a breakout rule so no one goes too fast. Most of the time it is the guys running full USVTA spec cars that are winning our races though.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I would tend to agree, but if its not an old classic car or a new mustang or camaro, most of these guys dont want to drive it. Some of them want to run single digit wind motors. Go fast or go home menatlity.
I hear ya...but there is nothing to prevent those guys from running any era Pony/Muscle car body in USGT. In fact there is nothing to prevent those guys from running HPI Vintage tires in USGT (depending on local track rules). I've seen a few local racers who race USVTA & USGT use VTA fronts on their USGT car - and have good results.

----------

At the end of the day, each track/group of racers need to do what it best for them. But if at all possible, run USVTA rules - it will make the racing good for just about every possible skill level.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
anyone try the novak update board for the xdrive gtb2's??
Nope, turns it into a Havok and it is no longer legal for USVTA. Now my dirt oval car...
Old 05-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 2 race vta french series

hi
here 2 videos 2 race VTA french series 05/12 (grayan l'hopital : france)
It's a great success
weather :
morning :rainning
afternoon: cloudy

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

next race 07/27 (night)
Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GP40X
Nope, turns it into a Havok and it is no longer legal for USVTA. Now my dirt oval car...
how so?? based on what I've been told (talked with Charlie @ novak), it adds adjustability to the speedo, not changes the speedo

I'm curious what you've found
Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rclolo33
hi
here 2 videos 2 race VTA french series 05/12 (grayan l'hopital : france)
It's a great success
weather :
morning :rainning
afternoon: cloudy

next race 07/27 (night)
That's awesome seeing VTA like this abroad! Great looking track, too.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I hear ya...but there is nothing to prevent those guys from running any era Pony/Muscle car body in USGT. In fact there is nothing to prevent those guys from running HPI Vintage tires in USGT (depending on local track rules). I've seen a few local racers who race USVTA & USGT use VTA fronts on their USGT car - and have good results.

----------

At the end of the day, each track/group of racers need to do what it best for them. But if at all possible, run USVTA rules - it will make the racing good for just about every possible skill level.
Thats the way I feel about it. The USVTA rules serve as a light house so that everyone can stay compatible on a national or international scale. Robk does not have the time to go be the Nazi. Its enough just to be responsible for the template that everyone looks to, should they choose to use it. Eventually the track or club has to decide whats best for them. The way I see it VTA with 21.5 is a gen2 rules car. Some clubs never switched to the current rule set and they are still running them like that. If a car like that shows up at a track running current rules, One they should know that they are not compliant, but Two, Thats still a perfectly acceptable ride in USGT. So if that driver does not want to carry a VTA legal motor and speedo, which would be easy enough, then their best option is to run the car in USGT.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 05-23-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

how so?? based on what I've been told (talked with Charlie @ novak), it adds adjustability to the speedo, not changes the speedo

in the description it adds timing settings so its a no go
Old 05-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
in the description it adds timing settings so its a no go
well, i'll be damned - it does say that...Guess its time for some new glasses

thanks and my bad
Old 05-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The added adjustibility is what makes it illegal. The main difference between the Havok Pro SC XD and the GTB2 X-drive ESC is the brain board. The upgraded board and the Havok board both allow you to add boost and set dynamic timing (take it out of blinky mode as it were). The timing on the GTB2 is not adjustable. The promo for the board says:

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS

Includes Super-Tuner Firmware for quick and complete custom tuning:
Drive Tuning: Dynamic Timing Advance (0-55°), RPM (Start/Final/Range), Drive Frequency, Minimum Drive
Brake Tuning: Brake Frequency, Drag Brake, and Minimum Brake
Additional Tuning: Dead Band, Reverse Disable, and LiPo Protection (On/Off)
5 Profiles that can be independently customized and saved for multiple set-ups and easy trackside changes
Extreme-duty 5A BEC to handle the demands of today’s high powered servos
6 specialized RPM tables of Start & Final RPMs for fine-tuning the Dynamic Timing Advance™
Includes non-timing, blinking white LED to meet ROAR Sportsman Class racing standards
Compatible with Havoc Pro SC (#1745) that has X-Drive™ firmware, and GTB 2 X-Drive ESCs (#1748/#1749)

You will also notice that it comes in a new case labeled "Havok Pro SC"

Includes: Brain board with Super-Tuner firmware, Havoc Pro SC case and screws, installation instructions, programming instructions, and flowchart sticker

The Mos-Fet/heatsink board appears to be the same for both the Havok Pro SC XD and the GTB2 X-Drive. The difference is the programming and components on the "Brain Board". When installing the Havok Pro SC Super Tuner upgrade brain board in a GTB2 w/X-Drive, it turns the GTB2 X-Drive into an upgraded Havok Pro SC which is not USVTA legal.

However, I am thinking about getting one for my Havoc Pro SC SC in my loose dirt modified late model. The upgraded 5 amp BEC will help with my 6.5 Ballistic motor and lots of cooling fans.

HTH

P.S. I really need to read all the new thread posts before answering

Last edited by GP40X; 05-23-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added a P.S. to my post
Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GP40X
P.S. I really need to read all the new thread posts before answering
So you have the same vision problem(s) I have

thanks though

I was more or less looking at the update board for 17.5 - ie, removing my x-drive speedo from the USVTA (and going to either the hobbywing or my non x-drive gtb2)

sounds like this update makes the speedo a little more competitive in the world on blinky-mode speedos (vs locked blinky-only speedos)

yes, I know blinky is blinky is blinky - but there are feel differences in speedos

anywho...thanks and not back to USVTA discussions
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I still hold to the idea that if Tekin or anyone made a super small esc that somehow blocked out timing and boost while still allowing for a hotwire style interface for the other features, that would be the bomb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.