Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

For those in the Southeast who think this is a cool idea, The Grove in Rock Hill, SC (just south of Charlotte) is doing a VTA enduro in June.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Has anyone done testing on the legal speedos? Which one seems to have the most punch and power output?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG
Has anyone done testing on the legal speedos? Which one seems to have the most punch and power output?

I have tried the Speed Passion, Novak Edge and I had to use a Tekin RS in blinky one time (I know, it's not legal). I pulled similar lap times with all.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG
Thats the good thing about the list I have seen them all win at any given time. When the list was being tested none of them showed any improvment over the next if it did it wasnt allowed. Pick one you like and go race there isnt any voodoo in the ESC's on the list.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ran a HW Justock in a 17.5 sedan a few months back after reversing the inputs on my Tekin. I turned the same lap times with my $50 HW as with my $200 Tekin.

Really makes you think how much speed control you really need...
Old 05-31-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I ran a HW Justock in a 17.5 sedan a few months back after reversing the inputs on my Tekin. I turned the same lap times with my $50 HW as with my $200 Tekin.

I couldn't agree more. Now, some have better brakes than others but, the only real difference is throttle feel.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Too funny. I did the same thing months ago when I sold my two Tekin RS speedos and picked up two HW Justock instead and put money in my pocket to boot.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I recently fried a Novak GTB2 with X-Drive after the first qualifier in a race. I missed the second qualifier while I changed to my backup original Novak GTB. My lap times which were very consistent all day improved slightly in the last qualifier and main using the older ESC. I actually think performance between the two was identical and it was the track conditions and my driving that got better as the day went on.

I've run several models of legal speed control including the Cirtix, Havok, Edge, GTB, GTB2, GTB2 w/X-drive and Mongoose. They all seem the same to me except for braking. I rarely use brakes in VTA racing but in other classes, the Edge seems to have the "Edge" on braking. I don't think I've ever run the X-drive in a class where I used brakes often enough to judge them, but it does have a very smooth throttle response. However, it's only really noticeable when you switch from something else that doesn't.

Last edited by beemerfan; 05-31-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Of the VTA-legal ESCs, I've only used the Hobbywing Justock. I really like it and the programmer makes changes a breeze. My only complaint is with the braking. The braking force/smoothness is fine. However, I've been running it in FWD/BRAKE/REV mode and it's too "picky" and if I need to apply the brakes twice entering a corner (such as while negotiating traffic), it would sometimes brown out on me. Then there's a slight delay before the car moves again.

I suspect I could address this by playing with my neutral settings, but in the meantime I've disabled reverse. My USGT car runs FWD/BRAKE/REV and it's never had this issue. Other than that, the HW has been great. I was hesitant to buy what I thought as an "off brand" ESC, but I've been impressed with it.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Of the VTA-legal ESCs, I've only used the Hobbywing Justock. I really like it and the programmer makes changes a breeze. My only complaint is with the braking. The braking force/smoothness is fine. However, I've been running it in FWD/BRAKE/REV mode and it's too "picky" and if I need to apply the brakes twice entering a corner (such as while negotiating traffic), it would sometimes brown out on me. Then there's a slight delay before the car moves again.

I suspect I could address this by playing with my neutral settings, but in the meantime I've disabled reverse. My USGT car runs FWD/BRAKE/REV and it's never had this issue. Other than that, the HW has been great. I was hesitant to buy what I thought as an "off brand" ESC, but I've been impressed with it.
I run fwd/brk only. I had an issue with weak brakes until the latest firmware revision. Be sure to run brake and reverse force at 100%. Even though it should not matter when running fwd/brk only there is some background relationship that will make the brakes stronger.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I can tell you my gtb2 has horrible brakes. I've reprogrammed to radio a few times and ensured brakes were 100%.

Dave
Old 05-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
I can tell you my gtb2 has horrible brakes. I've reprogrammed to radio a few times and ensured brakes were 100%.

Dave
Brakes... Who needs brakes???? That is what the car in front of you is for!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TT_Vert

Dave
Yes. I actually had issues with a couple of Novaks and brakes. Could have been a binding issue but... who knows. Speedpassion brakes are awesome.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertottius
Yes. I actually had issues with a couple of Novaks and brakes. Could have been a binding issue but... who knows. Speedpassion brakes are awesome.
I've tried to rebind and recalibrate to my radio w/ no luck. I rarely if ever need brakes in VTA but it'd be nice once in a while when I go into a corner too hot to tap the brakes and actually have the car slow .1 mph..

Dave
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I run fwd/brk only. I had an issue with weak brakes until the latest firmware revision. Be sure to run brake and reverse force at 100%. Even though it should not matter when running fwd/brk only there is some background relationship that will make the brakes stronger.
Agreed! On my two Justocks soldered up with the optional 2 unit capacitor (it's 8 bucks), Using the latest firmware (508_NO_TIMING I believe), and then with Reverse force and Brakes both set to 100% in FWD/BRK only mode I can lock up the wheels on carpet. They are crazy strong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.