Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
Thanks and is it capatible with any motor or only novaks?
Originally Posted by NutDriver
It should be compatible with any sensored, brushless motor.
it is I run trinity and reedy motors with my novak gtb2 in TC
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Keep in mind that the Spec R S1 is a cheaper version than the Spec R R1. Same design. Just cheaper components. I have seen people do fine in VTA with the $100 S1, but its not the same as its aluminum and Carbonfiber counterpart.
So, besides the obvious (electronics, tires, body, etc.), what all is needed to make the S1 a competitive racer?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
So, besides the obvious (electronics, tires, body, etc.), what all is needed to make the S1 a competitive racer?
Not much.

I bought a second gear diff because I like running them instead of a spool. And I bought the upgraded driveshafts because I broke one.

I've got $3 Associated springs on mine. Other than that, all stock. Sub $200 car and it is fast and easy to tune.

I'm running with the big dogs in Indy. If Indy_RC_Racer were driving it, it would be winning week in and week out...
Old 05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by .crispy
Not much.

I bought a second gear diff because I like running them instead of a spool. And I bought the upgraded driveshafts because I broke one.

I've got $3 Associated springs on mine. Other than that, all stock. Sub $200 car and it is fast and easy to tune.

I'm running with the big dogs in Indy. If Indy_RC_Racer were driving it, it would be winning week in and week out...
Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Trying to justify to the wife getting a VTA car...LOL....I'm assuming bearings throughout? Ceramic or steel, or...? Looking on the Web site for the car, doesn't tell me much.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Trying to justify to the wife getting a VTA car...LOL....I'm assuming bearings throughout? Ceramic or steel, or...? Looking on the Web site for the car, doesn't tell me much.
Just the standard steel bearings in the kit.

I got everything from TQ RC.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

What are peoples opinions of "Outlaw" VTA. I am asking because there are a few tracks that are starting classes in the area, and people keep asking what are the rules for VTA. I thought it was simple with the USVTA website and all, but apparently that doesn't cut it. People want to run 13.5 or faster and adjustable ESC's. I think doing that kind of defeats the purpose of VTA in general.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I'm running a box stock S1 in the VTA class at my club and I'm loving it. I was TQ and took the A-main win last Sunday at my club race. The car needs nothing out of the box.

I'm running the Turnigy Trackstar 21.5 motor, orange GR300 receiver, Hobbyking Flightmax 4000mAh 2S lipo packs, Hobbywing Justock ESC and a Savox SC-1251MG steering servo.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-24-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know what you mean man. They are already talkin about making vta run by roar rules for our state series next year. Cannot understand why they want to change what has worked for the last two years here. Oh well, soon to hear the death nell for VTA here in Florida.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Just read through the ROAR rules, and they really get detailed... A little too detailed for what this class is supposed to represent, and I see no control on ESC. I do like that you can run any brand, but I didn't see a limit on blinky or not. Why ROAR didn't just adopt the USVTA and USGT rules is beyond me.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Just read through the ROAR rules, and they really get detailed... A little too detailed for what this class is supposed to represent, and I see no control on ESC. I do like that you can run any brand, but I didn't see a limit on blinky or not. Why ROAR didn't just adopt the USVTA and USGT rules is beyond me.
all spec classes are blinky in roar. the last few nats that have had a vta class it's been 25.5 open (accept 2011 in jackson which was 21.5) brand motor as noted not the 21.5 in the rule book as that is 3 years old. the open brand speed control on the roar list and roar approved open mah battery are so they don't look like they are playing favorites. which Rob King doesn't have to do as a rules maker. USvta is his rules which work. roar VTA rules are open brand and wider variations as when you go to a roar event which is teched and controlled better then the average club race which the USvta rules make easy to tech. now it does say in the USvta rules that the track owner has final say on what is can and well be adhered to. but don't call it USvta if the track does make track rules.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

this might be a silly question, but since I'm on my phone I can't search correctly...

for you guys that have/run the Hobbywing and the X-Drive GTB2 - which do you feel is better?

I'm wanting to try it, but don't wanna waste $$ if the X-Drive GTB2 is better

I had the speedpassion, but didn't like the brakes..and I believe I saw someone saying the HobbyWing was better feeling/performing then the GTB2

thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

I had both. the hobby wing is great. not a single problem. the novak however clitched like crazy. Novak tech supports fix was to upgrade my radio to a 2.4 system. I eventually do plan to upgrade but if my old trusty synthaszed FM JR works, why spend the $$$. If a $60 esc from a newer company can work, then I think Novak should be able to make one work too.

The Hobbywing also allows me to adjust paramiters from my laptop. I dont feel comfortable counting bliking ligts to know if my drag brake is set right.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the Novak GTB2 Xdrive is by far the smoothest (next to LRP) on the market...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If any track/location is trying to build a USVTA class and the majority of the racers want to run faster motors, adjustable speed controls, bigger batteries then I suggest building a USGT class instead. USGT rules (also found on the USVTA website) are much more open, which may be better for individual tracks/groups of racers.

ROAR rules for VTA can also be a good place to start, but you need to tech the cars to make sure everyone is running in blinky.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
this might be a silly question, but since I'm on my phone I can't search correctly...

for you guys that have/run the Hobbywing and the X-Drive GTB2 - which do you feel is better?

I'm wanting to try it, but don't wanna waste $$ if the X-Drive GTB2 is better

I had the speedpassion, but didn't like the brakes..and I believe I saw someone saying the HobbyWing was better feeling/performing then the GTB2

thanks
GTB2 X drive is super smooth. I went back to back with the regular GTB2 and the difference on smoothness is noticeable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.