Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I liked my Ride Medium rear slicks, but the front mediums were super stiff and didn't work at all. The mediums pushed so bad the car was not driveable. I have a set of Ride soft slicks ready to try. Hopefully they will generate a little more temp and grip better.

I just mounted up a set of RIDE SS fronts and they suck!! i dont understand why they are so stiff and the compound is not the same, the sidewalls are really stiff and i think the belt is also thicker or something. I mounted mine without the insert and glued the hole shut on the rim so it actually has air pressure inside! havent been to the track with them yet. had the same issue with my 104 ( i think it is the same tire). Does shimizu make slicks for the FGX?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Mounting the Pit slicks will be a bit of a challenge for the FGX
the 0571 slick front will mount on a Tamiya front rim with a bit of a mod to the inside bead, and then requires the Tamiya Front steering blocks and the 5x10 bearings.... a great upgrade by the way......

but the rear will tough since any of the Tamiya rear rims have the larger 14mm hex. I am doing the mod today on the front and we will see

The 0571/0575 have the different inside and outside side wall diameter and will not work on the standard FGX or Ride wheels....

also will try the Ride SS front and rears today.... they mount right up to the FGX, and Ride Wheels
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MAD916
Mounting the Pit slicks will be a bit of a challenge for the FGX
the 0571 slick front will mount on a Tamiya front rim with a bit of a mod to the inside bead, and then requires the Tamiya Front steering blocks and the 5x10 bearings.... a great upgrade by the way......

but the rear will tough since any of the Tamiya rear rims have the larger 14mm hex. I am doing the mod today on the front and we will see

The 0571/0575 have the different inside and outside side wall diameter and will not work on the standard FGX or Ride wheels....

also will try the Ride SS front and rears today.... they mount right up to the FGX, and Ride Wheels
Dont waste your time with the Ride wheels they are horrible , i broke a rear with a light tap and the entire center came out!!
So there are no shimizu slicks for the FGX right?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Not sure about the Ride wheel have had the 25009 up front for close to 30 Batt Packs through them with no shortage of taps on the boards and they are perfect... also have plenty of guys at the track running the RH302/RH402 which is the FGX direct replacement and they are great... the Pit 0561/0565 mount right up to them....
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
So there are no shimizu slicks for the FGX right?
no slicks from pit
Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Starting to sound like the grooved pits are still the best game in town. Thanks guys. Just wanted to be sure before I ordered another set.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Any news about the dual arm suspension setup ETA? Im about to just make my own, if its not coming soon...... Only thing stopping me is finding a small shock, doesnt need to be oil filled just as long as i can get friction grease on it. i can get the rear shocks to fit but you would have to cut the cockpit out.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Any news about the dual arm suspension setup ETA? Im about to just make my own, if its not coming soon...... Only thing stopping me is finding a small shock, doesnt need to be oil filled just as long as i can get friction grease on it. i can get the rear shocks to fit but you would have to cut the cockpit out.
RC18 shocks?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Use the IRS damper tubes...they use springs on the damper tubes instead of separate like other cars.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Has anyone used a really soft rear spring with some really thin oil? Maybe 30wt or less. What were the results?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Has anyone used a really soft rear spring with some really thin oil? Maybe 30wt or less. What were the results?
I know the kit springs are softer than any of the 3 Racing option springs and I assume that's why these things are lifting the front wheels like Sprint cars.
Most of us were running pretty firm shock setups, even on low grip surfaces since these things are also slamming the chassis on the ground after any bumps.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Use the IRS damper tubes...they use springs on the damper tubes instead of separate like other cars.

RC18 shocks are the same size as what we have now.

you got a picture for those INSP? I am thinking of maybe 12th scale shock tubes with internal springs and then just making some form of droop adjustment plate. The cantilever part is simple and i already have arms that i made for the upper.

Vette, i am up to 4000wt oil with RCShox single stage pistons (single 1.5mm hole) and to be honest i think i can go up more from there, its starting to feel really good, I am running the soft spring from the 3r kit which is stiffer than the original.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Yeah I had problems with the front tire on the kit set up. I also raised my ride height to 6mm because of the chassis scraping. I thought I was stiff until......

4000 wt? As in diff fluid? Wow. I thought I was stiff at 80wt. So what is the biggest difference you see with a super thick oil and a mild spring? I'm very interested in trying it out.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Yeah I had problems with the front tire on the kit set up. I also raised my ride height to 6mm because of the chassis scraping. I thought I was stiff until......

4000 wt? As in diff fluid? Wow. I thought I was stiff at 80wt. So what is the biggest difference you see with a super thick oil and a mild spring? I'm very interested in trying it out.
Keep in mind that my pistons have a little bit more piston to wall clearance are thicker and are large single hole. Remember we are tuning for handling more so than bumps ( as an off roader i have to remind myself of that!!) In general i dont care for a rear sway bar and no front because it makes the steering wierd and pitches the back around which can be fast but hard to stay consistent . With the thicker oils it slows down the movement of the rear closer to the movement of the front so both ends react close to the same. On the track the car is just more balanced and predictable. One thing i did notice is that the car is much more stable under braking with the sway bar so i have the lightest sway bar on just for that reason. Keep in mind that i am also on low/med grip asphalt.

This is one of the reasons i am anxious to get a dual arm front working so i can match roll centers and use sway bars like they are supposed to be used!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Keep in mind that my pistons have a little bit more piston to wall clearance are thicker and are large single hole. Remember we are tuning for handling more so than bumps ( as an off roader i have to remind myself of that!!) In general i dont care for a rear sway bar and no front because it makes the steering wierd and pitches the back around which can be fast but hard to stay consistent . With the thicker oils it slows down the movement of the rear closer to the movement of the front so both ends react close to the same. On the track the car is just more balanced and predictable. One thing i did notice is that the car is much more stable under braking with the sway bar so i have the lightest sway bar on just for that reason. Keep in mind that i am also on low/med grip asphalt.

This is one of the reasons i am anxious to get a dual arm front working so i can match roll centers and use sway bars like they are supposed to be used!
I remember you saying you were on asphalt. That's part of the reason I'm surprised you are so thick. It makes sense that it balances the car a little more. I may try 1000 just to see since I'm on the kit 2 hole dampeners. Right now the car is doing well but I'm always looking for better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.