Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funky
I have a few dumb questions but hopefully you guys can help without too much laughing....

I am building my T3 '11 which is my first Xray car. Most of my other TCs are Team Associated (TC3s, TC4s and a TC5). Can I use my plastic Associated droop guage to set the droop on this car or do I need the Hudy blocks and droop guage to get an accurate setting? Also, I have lots of Associated shock oil and my LHS does not carry any Xray stuff. Should I just use the oil from the kit or would I be better off using some of the other shock oil I already have (everything from 25-45wt). If so, does anyone have any reccomendations on which weight I should use for the front and rear shocks? I also have lots of Associated spring sets from my other TCs, should I stick with the stock springs or should I experiment with some of the other springs I already have (if they fit)? Will I be struck by lightning for putting Associated stuff in my new Xray?

... and do I need to tear down and rebuild the rear diff that came in the kit or is it ready to go out of the box? It feels great but I didn't know if I am supposed to pull it apart and rebuild it or just run it and adjust it out of the box.

I'll buy all of the right tools/parts/fluids sooner or later, but for now I broke the bank just buying this kit so this is what I have to work with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be running a stock 17.5 setup with rubber tires on carpet on this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBVQvnb9Z6c
You can use your AE droop gauge and your AE oil. Most setups on the Teamxray.com use Xray oil. I would try 45wt in the front and 35wt in the back. The springs that come on the car are a good start. I wouldn't try and put AE springs on the car. Yes Mr Hudy will come pay you a visit and hit you on the head for putting AE springs on this car. I recommend relubing the diff, it may feel good but it has minimal lube. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Pablo Diablo, you have PM regarding your gear diff AMAZING work by the way

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
A limited number will be made in the next couple of days. It might be necessary to go 0.5mm wider to run 52's on the rear.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Yeah but you're a mong
We will see at Summernats who the Mong is
Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

I have a few dumb questions but hopefully you guys can help without too much laughing....

I am building my T3 '11 which is my first Xray car. Most of my other TCs are Team Associated (TC3s, TC4s and a TC5). Can I use my plastic Associated droop guage to set the droop on this car or do I need the Hudy blocks and droop guage to get an accurate setting? Also, I have lots of Associated shock oil and my LHS does not carry any Xray stuff. Should I just use the oil from the kit or would I be better off using some of the other shock oil I already have (everything from 25-45wt). If so, does anyone have any reccomendations on which weight I should use for the front and rear shocks? I also have lots of Associated spring sets from my other TCs, should I stick with the stock springs or should I experiment with some of the other springs I already have (if they fit)? Will I be struck by lightning for putting Associated stuff in my new Xray?

... and do I need to tear down and rebuild the rear diff that came in the kit or is it ready to go out of the box? It feels great but I didn't know if I am supposed to pull it apart and rebuild it or just run it and adjust it out of the box.

I'll buy all of the right tools/parts/fluids sooner or later, but for now I broke the bank just buying this kit so this is what I have to work with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be running a stock 17.5 setup with rubber tires on carpet on this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBVQvnb9Z6c
You can use everything you've mentioned, but I would start with the kit setup first and see how it goes.
Then start experimenting with changes.

Skiddins
Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CraigM
100%, Paul posted pics a while back. I have seen them, and I want them

The longer bones should give a bit more rear grip too
thats a kool lookin diff. Are they going into production?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'd start with the stock setup, the only thing I'd change is the front oil, you'll probably want a AE 70wt, 45 is pretty light for rubber tire on carpet. The rest is all good as far as your setup tools go you just won't be able to use the exact numbers that are on the setup sheet. The droop block from HUDY are 10mm, if I remember correctly the droop guage from AE is something 8mm so your numbers aren't going to translate, you'd be better off finding a setup thats giving you setup of droop as a number over ride height (ORH). I think Paul has posted some with 2.5mm ORH front and back, or another is 2.5mm ORH at the front and 3.5mm ORH in the rear.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

My AE gauge is 10mm and the numbers work just like my 10 mm hudy blocks and gauge.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Thanks to everyone that replied for the advice!! I also got a pretty detailed PM that should help me out. Thanks!! Does anyone know what would be a good starting point for a pinion to run with the 104t optional gear with a 17.5 motor (no turbo/sboost) on a small carpet track? Just something to get me in the ballpark of where I should be.

My AE droop guage is 12.85mm It is quite a few years old from a TC4 Team kit. I wonder if they changed them at some point.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Maybe I'm wrong on the guage...

It's happened before.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what KO Propo servo do you guess recommend?
Old 12-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by s.l.c.

I dont... I recommend Futaba.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Thanks to everyone that replied for the advice!! I also got a pretty detailed PM that should help me out. Thanks!! Does anyone know what would be a good starting point for a pinion to run with the 104t optional gear with a 17.5 motor (no turbo/sboost) on a small carpet track? Just something to get me in the ballpark of where I should be.

My AE droop guage is 12.85mm It is quite a few years old from a TC4 Team kit. I wonder if they changed them at some point.
Shoot for a 4.0 ratio or lower. Ask others that are running the same speed control and motor combo that you have too.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by s.l.c.
I run the PDS-2345. Your best bet would be a full size servo. The 2367 or the RXS Series servos would be good too.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Had my first run with my new car yesterday, and I really like it.

Handling was a tick too tail happy on-throttle for my preference [Boosted 17.5], and I corrected that a bit by laying the rear shocks down one hole, and raising the front droop to 3.5mm ORH, everything else is kit setup. Shocks are 700/350cst f/r with 3 hole pistons, with Sorex 24's on low-mid grip carpet.

So by laying the rear shocks down a hole, I was able to help the rear stick a bit better on-power, but the whole car always felt on-top of the track. It'll stick in the corner fine, it just feels... lazy.

I'm experiencing a lazy corner entry with a slight push if I try to arc the corner, but if I "yank" the wheel into a corner, it hooks without pause, but also makes the rear come around pretty quick, which makes chicanes a dicey proposition.

On sweepers, the rear has a lot more rotation than I need, and the chassis gets upset if I make any mid-corner steering correction to keep from steering into the inside barrier.

Now, this is the first car I've had with a spool up front, so it's entirely possible I'm just not driving the car aggressive enough with a front spool. In fact, when I drove mad after a corner marshal stepped on my car [], the car seemed to handle very well, and several guys commented that it looked the best it had all day.

So, any input on driving or setup to get the car to turn in a bit more aggressively without giving up any rear grip would be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

The difference between the front and shock oils is quite big. Whats your ride heights and droops set to. Ditto camber and toe.

I dont get the aggressive driving, all it does is unsettles the car and the chance of making mistakes increases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.