Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Hey Guys,

I ran the KO 951 at the Reedy Race this year and it works/drives great. No problems with the ears or mounting but I will tell you that I don't suggest to use it on a board type track. If you are hitting walls (even with a servo saver) it can break the "boss" for one of the gear pins inside of the case. I've asked KO to make a version of this servo with a brass insert like their other servos to test but as far as I know they haven't made one yet (too many other projects at the moment).

The forward set of holes on the chassis are for this servo. This is also why the bell crank was designed at that height so it would clear that servo and provide tons of room. I thought that servo would be the future of TC if they can make the case/gear train hold up...

Later!
I would really like to see KO or one of the other brands step up to make such a servo. Seems like it would have a wide range of uses.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My dad is running a JR ds9411sa converted to all metal gear in his TC. It's tough for a mini servo. No servo saver, just a plastic horn. And I threw his car into the boards (Cause im a good kid like that ) and its holding up fine.

I know some JR and KO servos are similar, I wonder if the metal gears for the 9411 would work with the KO. Any guesses?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Guys,

I ran the KO 951 at the Reedy Race this year and it works/drives great. No problems with the ears or mounting but I will tell you that I don't suggest to use it on a board type track. If you are hitting walls (even with a servo saver) it can break the "boss" for one of the gear pins inside of the case. I've asked KO to make a version of this servo with a brass insert like their other servos to test but as far as I know they haven't made one yet (too many other projects at the moment).

The forward set of holes on the chassis are for this servo. This is also why the bell crank was designed at that height so it would clear that servo and provide tons of room. I thought that servo would be the future of TC if they can make the case/gear train hold up...

Vincent may have been testing the other chassis I drew up - I ran a test version at the ROAR Nats and liked it. You have to keep in mind that by machining the graphite on only one side it can cause the chassis to bow in the direction from the material relieved. Also, it's really hard to make the chassis flex equal in both ways like this and be consistant from chassis to chassis. We are testing an updated version of the Lipo chassis so hopefully it will be sorted and in production soon.

Also, for those talking about the motor/battery position vs. the T3 - The Photon already had the motor on-center further than any other car on the market when it came out. The Xray motor was 2.5mm further from center than the Photon. If they moved their motor further to the center by 3mm then they now have us by just .5mm....

Later!
I forgot to mention in my post that it was Josh that told me to try the 951, please excuse the omission. Since it came out it is the only servo I will use for 1/12th scale. As he said, the servo is perfectly suited to touring car racing, minus the pin boss issue he mentioned (I have not experienced that, but I only ran the car twice with it). When I mounted it I had to drill a hole because the chassis was an early prototype that didn't have the holes for the 951. The fact that the production chassis are drilled this way is yet another example of the kind of forward thinking that Josh put into this design.

The chassis on Vincent's car probably was the new design Josh drew up. EJ has just built a car with it to test, if it is as good as we think we'll let everyone know when it will be available.

As for the .5mm on the motor placement (that's only .020" to most of us) I'm sure Josh can figure out where to get that

Last edited by odpurple; 11-22-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Can anyone tell me what (48dp) gearing will fit in the Photon? I need a big spur/small pinion arrangement to bring the ratio down to around 8.5. Anyone know what fits? Can anyone confirm is 93/22 will fit?

Last edited by BagofSkill; 11-22-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Hey Guys,

Vincent may have been testing the other chassis I drew up - I ran a test version at the ROAR Nats and liked it. You have to keep in mind that by machining the graphite on only one side it can cause the chassis to bow in the direction from the material relieved. Also, it's really hard to make the chassis flex equal in both ways like this and be consistant from chassis to chassis. We are testing an updated version of the Lipo chassis so hopefully it will be sorted and in production soon.

Also, for those talking about the motor/battery position vs. the T3 - The Photon already had the motor on-center further than any other car on the market when it came out. The Xray motor was 2.5mm further from center than the Photon. If they moved their motor further to the center by 3mm then they now have us by just .5mm....

Later!
Hi Josh,

There is 1 motor even closer to the center and that is the mi4. But the way of mounting I don't like.
I want to try to get the motor closer to the center but I found out that I have to change more than alone the motor mount.
It's a hole operation.

Thanks for the info about the steering servo.

I drove this weekend indoor again and this was the first time on the new layout.
There are 2 fast corners in it and the first time I got to much grip. The car was digging in.
I changed my roll center and my to in in the rear. Changed the camber and this solved a lot.
Now I have much more corner speed and still tons of grip.
I was today the second fastest on the track and with a small fun race I ended up second very close to the nr 1.
Almost even won but made just 1 mistake to many.
The car is handling great. Easy to drive and no grip roll.
I will get the medium wings and medium top plate for indoor. I think the foam wings are to stiff for the car with the setup as I have it now.

The steel cubs in the spool hold great.
still no lose cups and no play.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Car ran great on the asphalt yesterday. Took 3rd in 17.5 after a very heated battle and 2nd in 13.5. Swapped the chassis out today to the 2.5 lipo and gave it a shot on the carpet. Started with Larry's setup (minus the harder top deck) and made a few adjustments for our track conditions. This car has very good on-power steering, but I need to improve the off power just a little bit. The more I drive this car, the more I like it. Can't wait for carpet season to start next month.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

T.O.P. team driver AdamD's car is getting super dialed at our local asphalt track. It's been awesome seeing the potential unlocked in that car.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M-Technic
T.O.P. team driver AdamD's car is getting super dialed at our local asphalt track. It's been awesome seeing the potential unlocked in that car.
what, no props for the privateer? lol
Old 11-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
what, no props for the privateer? lol
You don't run with me twice a week like he does.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Australian onroad Nationals

just finished the Australian onroad Nationals yestarday,

the T.O.P. Photons had a excellent showing,

10 drivers in total, 6 in stock (17.5) and 4 in super stock (10.5)

Super stock:

TQ and Win by Damien Zarb, (1st, 2nd, 2nd)

2 of our 4 drivers were in the A Main,

Stock:

3 place overall by Matt Stamboulis (he is only 10 years old! )

5 of the 10 A main drivers were running T.O.P. Photons, and Qualified 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th.
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-dscf0034.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-dscf0039.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-img_2159.jpg  
Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Champion

Good News !
Old 11-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

well done guys
Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
I know multiple people have posted this already. But here it goes one more time for good measure. If your running on medium to high grip carpet the stock rubber chassis flexs to much. There for I would suggest you try a foam lipo chassis or stk foam chassis.

Hi.

Thanks for the answer.

I was thinking why my chassis had so much more grip, than the rest of the photon guys that weekend, i tried a lot of things but still the car digged in the carpet, I ended up with the same set-up, same tyre addetive and still had too much grip.

New race this weekend, any with some set-up tips for removing grip
Old 11-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Steering servo

This may help some...the low profile Savox (sav-sc1251mg) has a very sloaped top casing this allows it to be fitted in the foward position with minimal spacing between the mounts and casing tabs,also the casing tabs are thicker/stronger than most equivalent makes...9k torque,44 grm,metal geared,quite quick and well priced.around £45 here in the UK

Les

Last edited by lesbaldry; 11-23-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

New screw
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-top-pa-scm2607bk.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.