Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Is there any way you can get an M04 chassis down to a short wheel base? My main issue is that there's very few RWD bodies available in the 225mm wheel base so if I can shorten it. I won't have to worry so much about getting new bodies when the time comes.
There is something I know someone is working on.

http://home.comcast.net/~ewippler/new.html
Old 12-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Interesting that they've gone the upper and lower chassis plate route whereas the Kai conversion had 2 side plates, as does the HPI.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony gray
Interesting that they've gone the upper and lower chassis plate route whereas the Kai conversion had 2 side plates, as does the HPI.
My quess is for stiffness
Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

I wonder whether some flex might actually be desirable in an M04 chassis though? Rear end grip is vital and a bit of flex in the chassis may assist that? Hard to know really.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Tony:

Hi,

Awesome Mini site you have going. just spent a ton of time there. too bad I live in the U.S. I'm going to be adding a Mini to my fleet of cars soon (most likely a M03m)
as we are starting up a Johnson class close to where I live.
and I love Mini's too bad I'm over 6' tall.

Tamiyaracer:

Hi,

I see in your sig you had (and sounds like) didn't like a SV-10. I'm wondering what you didn't like about it. (besides not being a Tamiya)????. and I like your Mini in your Avatar.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help with the M04 Alfa

I just got my M03 dialed in for TCS class, what a fun car to drive.

My M04 Alfa on the other hand is very poor. I have the TA03 diff and Tamiya oil shocks shortened to 63mm with short springs.

Are there any good M04 set ups that I can use for TCS?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ran my M04 for the first time tonight although without the body as I wasn't able to pick it up in time.

I ran it with TRF threaded shocks all around and yellow springs that came with the shocks so it sat pretty high. Still, with the kit tyres on, the car ran surprisingly good although I was able to start lifting the inside front tyre on a few corners so it can't be far away from traction rolling. However, I just happen to be rummaging through my TC stuff and noticed that my foam tyres were trued to 60.25mm and at 28mm wide, they just fit on.

The car started off quite nicely up until I got some heat in the tyres and then the traction rolling started but it was controllable enough so that I could drive the track w/o too many issues although I managed to damage a foam tyre after traction rolling at the end of the main straight.

I'll have to pick up a set of the mini springs and see how that affects the car. At the moment, the front sits about 10mm+ off the ground which probably has a lot to do with the traction rolling.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TimXLB
Tony:

Hi,

Awesome Mini site you have going. just spent a ton of time there. too bad I live in the U.S. I'm going to be adding a Mini to my fleet of cars soon (most likely a M03m)
as we are starting up a Johnson class close to where I live.
and I love Mini's too bad I'm over 6' tall.

Tamiyaracer:

Hi,

I see in your sig you had (and sounds like) didn't like a SV-10. I'm wondering what you didn't like about it. (besides not being a Tamiya)????. and I like your Mini in your Avatar.

Thanks
The biggest was good parts support. Kawada was in the US till about when I bought the car, then they pulled out of the US.
It was a good car, though
Thanks, that was the car I won the 2004 North Amercan Finals with.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Tamiyaracer:

Hi,

I agree with you. good car no support. too bad...... the latest car is good to but again no support here in the U.S.
anyway. I'm still checking out the M03m waitiing for a good deal on one. and debating on what car(s) I should sell nobody needs 6 XRays. I have all of XRays touring cars ARTR up to the FK04 and the rest RTR after that. a couple of TA-05's, a couple of TL-01's, etc.
Ihave a long way to got to catch up with you tho!!!!!!!

Thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slotcarrod
I just got my M03 dialed in for TCS class, what a fun car to drive.

My M04 Alfa on the other hand is very poor. I have the TA03 diff and Tamiya oil shocks shortened to 63mm with short springs.

Are there any good M04 set ups that I can use for TCS?
Here's my setup for carpet..

Front:
TRF Short White springs
TRF Shocks, 80 wt oil, 2-hole pistons, 2 o-rings, no rebound
S-Grips, moulded insert (hard to find), 1/3 traction compound on inside
Sway bar

Rear:
Short Fluorescent Red springs
TRF Shocks, 60 wt oil, 2-hole pistons, 3 o-rings, no rebound
Type A's, firm foam insert strip, full traction compound

5-6mm ride height all around

It's a very stiff setup in the front, and runs like a touring car.. no body roll for quick transitions, and at the same time I can run through the whole track full-throttle without flipping. If you need more steering, widen the strip of compound in the front.

Get the 2-degree rear uprights if you can, or just upgrade to the lightweight "M03M" set, it has 2 degrees already, and is very nimble.

Put the receiver and speedo on the sides like saddlebags, keeps the COG way low.

I use the alfa body for TCS, and the HPI Miata for the other races.. love the rear wing..

That's the basis of the setup, the rest is optional.. aluminum hexes, rear universals, carbon gearshafts, TA03 Ball Diff w/ lightweight plates, aluminum screws with a few Ti in spots, but it's not that necessary.

It won our last big Mini race, so it can't be too bad of a setup..
Old 12-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Here's my setup for carpet..

Front:
TRF Short White springs
TRF Shocks, 80 wt oil, 2-hole pistons, 2 o-rings, no rebound
S-Grips, moulded insert (hard to find), 1/3 traction compound on inside
Sway bar

Rear:
Short Fluorescent Red springs
TRF Shocks, 60 wt oil, 2-hole pistons, 3 o-rings, no rebound
Type A's, firm foam insert strip, full traction compound

5-6mm ride height all around

It's a very stiff setup in the front, and runs like a touring car.. no body roll for quick transitions, and at the same time I can run through the whole track full-throttle without flipping. If you need more steering, widen the strip of compound in the front.

Get the 2-degree rear uprights if you can, or just upgrade to the lightweight "M03M" set, it has 2 degrees already, and is very nimble.

Put the receiver and speedo on the sides like saddlebags, keeps the COG way low.

I use the alfa body for TCS, and the HPI Miata for the other races.. love the rear wing..

That's the basis of the setup, the rest is optional.. aluminum hexes, rear universals, carbon gearshafts, TA03 Ball Diff w/ lightweight plates, aluminum screws with a few Ti in spots, but it's not that necessary.

It won our last big Mini race, so it can't be too bad of a setup..
Thanks Jam-ehz! That's just what I was looking for. It looks like you know what you are doing (very pro). Now I have to find the time and parts you listed. I have most of them (tires ect) for my Mini, but I am having a hard time finding the sway bars. Will the M03 sway bars work? And what's the "Jam" stand for?
Thanks again!
Rod
Old 12-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Quick shock setup question for the veterans...How many o-rings should I use front and rear to limit droop. I am running an MO3M with the TRF dampers.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Quick shock setup question for the veterans...How many o-rings should I use front and rear to limit droop. I am running an MO3M with the TRF dampers.
I have found that orings are unpredictable.
I use spacers, the ones that come on the tree of pistons and shock parts.

As for how many, I usually start with the limiting the shocks so th arms are flat when theyou have no weight on the suspension (full down travel)
Old 12-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Or....dont use any at all.

We're having a lot of success with the 'no-limiter' setup with massive droop allowable. Just use the spring and the adjusters to set the ride height but let it all hang down...

Not entirely sure what the theory behind it is, but it works.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Here's another question...are adjustable camber links TCS legal in the mini class??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.