Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

mine would be about 1140g without lipo
Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swampracer
Thanks guys,

I was just looking to turn the white rims into black. So I'm not worried about shade.

I'm off to the drug store to get some RIT!!
give it a try , youve got bugger all to lose ..

just to note i dont actually boil the rims i use the kettle to heat the dye which i then pour over the rims ..
Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamThibault
How much do your race m05 minis chassis weigh with out battery ?

949g without battery
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I keep stripping my spurgear in m05. I use 0.6 pinion 20t. i run standard hpi saturn 20t motor. Are black gear set any stronger ?
do you use grease or anything in gears?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Just bought a M06 are there any good tips and setup advise for carpet?
The club will be running the Tamiya USA 2013 rules which only allows 3 types of tires. Also what are the best hopups for the cars, been hearing steering, uprights and knuckles.
Thanks gents for the help.

coop
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by durtbag
I've put a fair few sets together over the years with indifferent results, some stay fairly flat, others seem to balloon in the middle. I went back to the build manual today and noticed a footnote stating too "secure inner sponge to tire using synthetic rubber cement". This is something I have never done, I just put the sponge in the tire and then CA the rubber to the wheel.

Does this help keep the tire tread flater? what type of cement does a guy use that does not make the rubber rock hard?
Thanks, Terry
I use Elmer's rubber cement to glue the ends of the foam insert strip together to form the "donut". This keeps the insert from bunching in one spot. Is this what you're seeing as a bulge in the center?

Don't use CA glue because it'll turn into a hard spot.

Tamiya mini cooper-e904.jpg
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I should hack into one of my worn out S grip premounts to see if they follow their own advice...nope. I wonder if there would be any advantage in securing the foam to the inside of the tire.

I keep stripping my spurgear in m05. I use 0.6 pinion 20t. i run standard hpi saturn 20t motor. Are black gear set any stronger ?
The black gears are a bit stronger. Run the gears dry, or with a tiny bit of silicone spray.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 11-02-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Vrooom
I consider it a good day when I don't damage a gearset. I run a very tight kit gear diff, (extra shims+lots of AW), black gearset, dry.

If the front wheels leave the ground, clipping a dot or the like, the motor spins up and when the wheels hit the ground again it strips the teeth on the first spur or bends the teeth on the idler gear. I have been unlucky enough to go through 2 gearsets on one day

One thing I have done is to make sure the pinion is correctly positioned on the spur gear, don't just use the little black hood that comes with the gear kit to give you the correct pinion distance. Remove the motor plate and screw your motor to it, put the spur gear in place and then line up the motor pinion in the correct position, allowing for a little end float. Remove the motor and measure the distance from the top of the pinion to the motor face, note it and use it in future.

I don't think there is much in the difference between the cream and black gearsets, I can break either of them. They are cheap enough and I usually buy them 5 sets at a time. I'll always have a spare diff built up in my pit box just in case.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I should hack into one of my worn out S grip premounts to see if they follow their own advice...nope. I wonder if there would be any advantage in securing the foam to the inside of the tire.

The black gears are a bit stronger. Run the gears dry, or with a tiny bit of silicone spray.
I would let the foam float inside esp the ones meant to have some air gap.

If the glue job isn't done well I would think you'd get a lopsided, lumpy, off balance tyre.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
I consider it a good day when I don't damage a gearset. I run a very tight kit gear diff, (extra shims+lots of AW), black gearset, dry.
I'm not sure how people burn through so many gears. I've been running a spool for months and haven't even bent a tooth on a white gear. (and I crash a lot) Come to think of it, I haven't broken a gear since we switched to brushless. No notable endplay in the motors when compared to silvercans. Maybe that's it. Also, I never run Tamiya pinions. The way they wear chews through spur gears.

The black gears are made a like FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) with some very fine fibrous material thrown into the mix to add some cohesion to the finished product.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

I dunno what you guys are doing. I have the same white gear set in my M03 since the '90s.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Shelf queens don't count.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Shelf queens don't count.
Lol this car is far from that. It's been raced, bashed by me, friends, friends' girlfriends, little kids. On asphalt track, carpet track and parking lots full of rocks.
Broke off the bosses for the screws in the chassis halves. Split the screw hole in the upper rear shock mount. (Remember me asking you about a source for the black chassis?)

I make sure the bearings are good, spray gears with silicone spray and never use Tamiya's stock pinion. Oh and let the throttle go when you hit something.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

M03 tamiya's still run with the M05's. I do 14.8sec fast laps with my 8.4volt lipo powered regular silvercan M03 while others manage 14.5sec fastlaps with their red dots and 8.5+volts lipos.... No shelf queen here monk....
Old 11-04-2012, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
M03 tamiya's still run with the M05's. I do 14.8sec fast laps with my 8.4volt lipo powered regular silvercan M03 while others manage 14.5sec fastlaps with their red dots and 8.5+volts lipos.... No shelf queen here monk....
Do us a favour and keep your over-voltage LiPo paranoia out of this thread. It just doesn't happen, and I wouldn't want new racers to get the idea that it does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.