Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugler
I just dropped a TA-03 ball diff in my M03 to repace a grease packed stock gear diff and the car turned into a rocket on the straight as well as excellent corner speeds, can't detect any wheel spin either...Have never tried the fluid diffs...how does the ball diff performance compare to fluid diff's? I can't imagine it being much better but would love to hear from those who have tried both.
Well the fluid diff can be like the spool or loose diff action,and it never slip and ball diff does slip...
Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Tech Adept

So what should I expect to feel/see from my 3 Racing diff over my loose kit diff? I imagine it will pull out of corners much better but does corner entry etc feel better?

Also, I assume it's obvious which way around it goes in, but if it's not?

Cheers!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Boons
So what should I expect to feel/see from my 3 Racing diff over my loose kit diff? I imagine it will pull out of corners much better but does corner entry etc feel better?

Also, I assume it's obvious which way around it goes in, but if it's not?

Cheers!
Just as you said, with the fluid diff you'll notice more drive out, and you'll be able to drive more aggressive going in.

The thicker the fluid, the more drive coming out, but that also creates understeer going in. The key is to tune for the track conditions. I'd try something thick to start, and as you get used to the feel of the car afterwards, you can then use thinner oils to get back that steering on entry. Are you racing carpet or asphalt?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Just as you said, with the fluid diff you'll notice more drive out, and you'll be able to drive more aggressive going in.

The thicker the fluid, the more drive coming out, but that also creates understeer going in. The key is to tune for the track conditions. I'd try something thick to start, and as you get used to the feel of the car afterwards, you can then use thinner oils to get back that steering on entry. Are you racing carpet or asphalt?
Hey jesses
Most of the mini guy like the spool on carpet . I didn't think the spool was a good option..But atfer watching Kody running the mini,it works better than ball diff....I lkie the ball diff better for asphalt..
but again I don't run after market parts on my mini
Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA
Hey jesses
Most of the mini guy like a spool on carpet . I didn't think the spool was a good option..But atfer watching Kody running the mini,it works better than ball diff....I lkie the ball diff better for asphalt..
I'd be more apt to run a shimmed stock gear diff with some "secret-sauce" inside. Got one ready for H30.

I think if I ran a spool up front I'd probably shear something off the first time a TC plows into me. ....No give.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'd be more apt to run a shimmed stock gear diff with some "secret-sauce" inside. Got one ready for H30.

I think if I ran a spool up front I'd probably shear something off the first time a TC plows into me. ....No give.
Now you're talking! My shimmed gear diff is a great piece of work, but no secret sauce involved. Just a few extra shims, a dab of AW grease and its good to go. Ever tried running a one way? Great launch, incredible turn in and NO BRAKES! Two out of three ain't bad.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Now you're talking! My shimmed gear diff is a great piece of work, but no secret sauce involved. Just a few extra shims, a dab of AW grease and its good to go. Ever tried running a one way? Great launch, incredible turn in and NO BRAKES! Two out of three ain't bad.
Hello, i have a rookie question here. Where do you put the shims?

thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Oneway mini. I was the first one did this back in the days.I was faster than the GT3 ... I think troy Crabtree or somebody from burien Toyota tamiya club racer did it at the TCS National .Now it is banned..
incredible turn in and NO BRAKES I agreed
Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fx35rc

thanks
behind the spider gears
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Fx, I usually add one shim more, per side, where the manual shows. So instead of one shim per side, you'll have two. They go between the diff case (gear) and the pinion gear (the splined gear where the outdrive slides into).
Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Alex..good seeing you in this thread. You should have joined Opi and I at TCS

Danny R
Wutup Danny, yeah maybe in 2014 being that it's 20th year anniversary of TCS makes it pretty tempting...not tempting having to take off all aftermarket parts which I'm used to running with and bolting on the T parts, but should be doable.

Originally Posted by OVA
Well the fluid diff can be like the spool or loose diff action,and it never slip and ball diff does slip...
I see, so the main feature is no slip, thanks.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OVA
behind the spider gears
Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Fx, I usually add one shim more, per side, where the manual shows. So instead of one shim per side, you'll have two. They go between the diff case (gear) and the pinion gear (the splined gear where the outdrive slides into).
Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=mugler;12521766]Wutup Danny, yeah maybe in 2014 being that it's 20th year anniversary of TCS makes it pretty tempting...not tempting having to take off all aftermarket parts which I'm used to running with and bolting on the T parts, but should be doable.

Lets go!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

thanks
I've been using 2 extra shims per side, with the outer ones glued to the diff case. This transfers the wear to the metal parts, even though there's not much wear. The cool thing about the is you can use the diff case screws to adjust the stiffness. Just make sure they're even, or you'll see weird premature wear. Also, I drilled a tiny hole in the side of my chassis to allow access to the case screws, doe occasional adjustment.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.