Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
I remember being at the TCS opener in SoCal in 2012, the first race for Mini Pro, and the silvercan Mini's were pulling better laptimes than the pro cars.

Mini's have been the same speed for decades, and are bar-none the most popular and most fun to drive because of that.
Really do agree with you that they are alot of fun to drive
We just ran ours this past weekend for the first time after making a bunch of changes to them and they ran good
Our Main Team Driver (running an M05) came in 1st in the B main, while I came in 4th (running a M03)
Now all we have to do if figure out how to shave 3 seconds off of our lap times to make the A mains and we'll be good, ( But think that will happen with us just practicing some more and running more races!)
Old 09-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Tech Adept

Hi there,

bought this from my friend. Its an M05 S Spec

what would be the essential hop ups i need if i will be racing this in our local rc events. Alum steering arms? TRF dampers?

Last edited by silverbmr; 09-27-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

^^^ hate to say it, but read through the thread.

Some would say high strength rear axles, others would say aluminum steering rack. S-Spec is pretty good out of the box.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default re:

Originally Posted by jjjheimer
^^^ hate to say it, but read through the thread.

Some would say high strength rear axles, others would say aluminum steering rack. S-Spec is pretty good out of the box.
sorry for my igonorance. will read up on the past threads. thanks again
Old 09-27-2013, 06:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Durability is first and foremost. Bearings, uprights (front and rear) and steering parts. Good axles (front and rear) are a very close second. The rest is window dressing.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Durability is first and foremost. Bearings, uprights (front and rear) and steering parts. Good axles (front and rear) are a very close second. The rest is window dressing.

Silver have to agree with Monkey
Without the proper steering parts, and uprights you won't be able to keep it
under control as well as Bearings for durability
And as I was recently reminded
Remember the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by silverbmr
sorry for my igonorance. will read up on the past threads. thanks again
I wouldn't do that. I'd go to rc-mini.net and start there. Their stuff is more suited to most club rules as opposed to TCS races which are more stringent. Some less than sound information finds it's way onto this thread, and if you don't have a pretty good handle on the basics, you can really get led astray.

A for example is hi strength rear axles as an important early upgrade. The upgrades on an M05 go in this order. Ball bearings which your car has, aluminum steering linkage, TRF shocks. The rest can be added as the racing budget allows. I've run in over 500 races and approach 10,000 laps a year in practice and can really only remember bending 4 rear axles that weren't caused by a TC slamming me from the back.

Now, this is just my opinion, and you may agree or disagree as you wish.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

RE : essential upgrades, here is my experience.

If it helps, my son and I have only raced our M05 three times at local clubs. We are still beginners (only racing since March, mostly touring car).

1st race : Both cars were raced as they were built (but with bearings). We were 1st and 2nd in the C final (there were A. B and C finals that day).

2nd race : We superglued the edges of the tyres and bought the Tamiya short springs. I came 3rd in the A final, my lad 2nd in the B.

For us, the biggest upgrade after bearings was the short springs and superglue. The short springs made the car lower so it was less likely to roll over in corners. The superglue pretty much took care of the rest, the cars didn't roll once. They both drove really well.

I have already invested in the 3Racing alloy steering and oil filled diff, plus got some oil filled shocks as I know these can help a lot as well from TC racing. We just haven't had the chance to race the cars like this yet. But that will be it, I will not be doing any other upgrades to the cars. I've seen screws break in alloy uprights which puts me off those. At least with the plastic parts, they can be replaced in minutes and are relatively cheap.

Hope this helps.

Tony.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hey all,

Built this little guy for my son (8 y/o). This is a M-05 Pro, all stock no upgrade as of yet. I wanted to get some pictures right after it was done but he took it out and ran it before I was able to. So the car is bit messy with few scratches already.

I did test and race the car over the weekend just to gauge if before I hand it over to my son to race. I can tell you how bad those original tires were, it was like driving on ice. A fellow racer gave me a set of S-Grip and it immediately hooked up . Thumps up! With the new tires installed, over all the car handles well. I think he will like driving / racing this car and beside its cute
Thanks for looking.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Very nice. Love the colours! Much nicer than anything I do.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Really nice paint job
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Digging the orange and white!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Rookie

That Swift looks gooood! Nice work!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is there a modern day brushed speed control or one that can be found easily that would be on the same level of some of the better older speedo's like the lrp quantum comp 3? I am looking at picking up a brushed speedo and using it for cooper in the winter and a vintage offroad class in the summer... likely both will use silver cans.

Asking here because I think this is the most common use of the silver can motors.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gguertin145
Is there a modern day brushed speed control or one that can be found easily that would be on the same level of some of the better older speedo's like the lrp quantum comp 3? I am looking at picking up a brushed speedo and using it for cooper in the winter and a vintage offroad class in the summer... likely both will use silver cans.

Asking here because I think this is the most common use of the silver can motors.

Thanks!
take a look at the tekin Fx/FX-Pro speedos...strictly brushed and very adjustable, including lipo cut-offs

you also have some of the brushless ones that do both - the tekin rs gen2, comes to mind...not pushing tekin stuff, its what I've run and have liked

but I can't think of too many brushed-only speedos that aren't designed for rock crawlers these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.