Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

all this motor stuff is not needed, all that you need to know is that nothing but the novak is legal.

WHAT IS THE RULING ON WIDTH.

The person who can drive and brings a good 200mm car to trackside this weekend would have a big advantage when traction comes up. Traction rolling is the hardest thing to contend with on these cars at a big race.

200mm and high traction would be a winning combination in my opinion........
Old 01-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I also run on a fairly small indoor track and I've been gearing my 21.5 around 4.4-4.6 or higher depending on the layout. I could gear faster, but the limitation of the driver, car, and layout wouldn't yield better laptimes for me. I've found that when I gear my car to best handle my setup (or ability) that I actually turn better laptimes even though the car may be a bit slower on the fast sections. The end result is that I tend to make fewer mistakes because I can drive the car a little harder and still have it perform consistently.

I had a great battle last time I raced. In the main I was chasing 1st for 5-6 minutes. I was slightly faster, but he was a better driver. I kept enough pressure on him that he finally short turned a corner and rolled on a corner disk. Not sure if I could have found a way to pass him. This class is the most fun I've ever had racing because there is always someone that I can race for position on the track, whether it is for 1st or not last.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigemike
all this motor stuff is not needed, all that you need to know is that nothing but the novak is legal.

WHAT IS THE RULING ON WIDTH.

The person who can drive and brings a good 200mm car to trackside this weekend would have a big advantage when traction comes up. Traction rolling is the hardest thing to contend with on these cars at a big race.

200mm and high traction would be a winning combination in my opinion........
There is no ruling. The tires have to fit under the body. BTW if you have a 200mm car, and you put the TA rear tires on, you will probably have a hard time getting under most of the bodies, since the rear wheels are like +6 mm.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
There is no ruling. The tires have to fit under the body. BTW if you have a 200mm car, and you put the TA rear tires on, you will probably have a hard time getting under most of the bodies, since the rear wheels are like +6 mm.
Agreed, you'll end up cutting tires right through the tread on the fender wells.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

ROAR didn't have a 21.5 class until they introduced VTA.
The 21.5 motor was built for us (SWTour Series) for 1/10th Oval Racing, the motor was quickly picked up by several OVAL tracks around the country, and the motor quickly gained popularity by other forms of racing looking for the BRUSHLESS Advantage but with Slower Speeds.

The 21.5 motor was also used at the ROAR "Oval Nat's" (which was the largest class) yet it was an "Exhibition" class so it didn't need to use a ROAR Approved Motor.

The VTA, now being recognized by ROAR never said ROAR APPROVED 21.5 motors (IMHO because there was NO SUCH animal prior to TRINITY getting theirs approved FIRST)

The ROAR Oval Committee's have DROPPED THE BALL in a huge way, because they've done NOTHING as of yet to my knowledge to have the OVAL RULES updated to allow BRUSHLESS and/or LIPO Batteries in socalled NON-MODIFIED classes.

again IMHO, the USVTA needs to DROP the mention of ROAR anywhere in there rules, and keep their rules THEIR Rules.

USVTA Approved MOTORS and BATTERIES ONLY - then List them (Don't WAIT or RELY on ROAR for your guidance)

The USVTA could easily put a rule in place allowing a battery such as the ORION 2400 SPEC Lipo (which isn't ROAR approved, and probably WON'T be, because ORION didn't market this pack as a "Competition" level battery.)

Yet for it's incredible 30 something dollar pricing, makes an AWESOME battery for this USVTA racing.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

ROAR has copied the USVTA's rules, not the other way around I'm glad they saw what we have seen as far as what a great class this is, but I am sure they will never dictate rules to the USVTA.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

very good point....

also guys....time to update the events on the USVTA web site...

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

US VTA racing at the Snowbirds.

Who (if anyone) is going to the Snowbirds just to race the VTA class?

I don't normally watch the video coverage of the On-Road racing...but I may log in to watch the VTA *(even though you usually can't see the cars for crap)

I did notice the VTA class is sponsored my the Molzer Mowery group....

RobK,

What I was refering to in the USVTA Rules (vs the ROAR rules) was the use of "ROAR Legal" products described in the rules.

ie: "Roar Legal Lipos"
Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

a couple of our locals are making the trip.....running TA...
Old 01-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
Depending on what car you have, there are shortened rear arms available. The drifters use them to get the really deep dish rims on to their Tamiya cars. I guess the short arm would defeat the purpose of having a 200mm car. I was just thinking that if you were having trouble getting it all under the body, this might help.
As far as performance goes, I dont think having a 200mm chassis and then the vintage rim would make much of a diff against a 190mm car. Im no expert on this but if someone put a 200mm + vintage wheels car on the starting line against a field of regular cars, most guys would just shrug their shoulders.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Major props are necessary tonight after the Novak race this weekend at Trackside in Brookfield, Wisconsin. Some of you may know that the Vintage Trans Am class was added this year, and it looks like it was the single largest class at the Novak race. Awesomeness, part 1.

Awesomeness, part 2 goes to John Ermer and Matt Sunderlidge, finishing 1st and second in the triple A-main for VTA. What makes these accomplishments so damn cool, is that they were both using Tamiya TA05 chassis! This should serve as a lesson to everyone who is convinced that they need a $475 luxury touring car to compete in Trans Am racing.

A quality setup and consistent driving is what will make or break you in this class, no matter what car you own.

Great work, guys.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What would be the chance they were running 17.5? Zero

Did anyone in the top 10 or 20 run a 17.5?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

On the width issues... if you can fit the wide offset rear 31mm wheels & tires under the body without altering the body or changing the trim lines on the rear wheel wells, it's not really an issue. Though, I don't think it really matters that much. It's not going to be the difference between winning or losing. For all intents and purposes, you're probably far better off focusing on improving your own personal setup and your driving skills than screwing with the original and time-tested design of your TC chassis.

I think that this weekend's Novak race has proven that you don't need anything fancy to go out and win at the highest levels of USVTA.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just gotta know..

Did Chevy, Ford, or Plymouth win ???
Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Did Chevy, Ford, or Plymouth win ???
Ermer runs an HPI Camaro, if I'm not mistaken.

Originally Posted by Tire Chunker
What would be the chance they were running 17.5? Zero

Did anyone in the top 10 or 20 run a 17.5?
What's the point? Would you be happy if we removed the other motor options completely and left only the 21.5/LiPo? If you don't think the 17.5 is the motor to have, run something different.

Or is it just something else to complain about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.