Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
My son uses a HPI Pro 2, and the ORION 2400, 3200, 3400 style batteries fit just fine. The Yeah Racing 3200 also fits just fine.

With ours since we harly ever take the pack out of the car, he has the spektrum receiver mounted to the top of the battery. (We wrap our antenna wire around a 2" tall by 3/4" wide piece of lexan and fasten that to the receiver w/ double sided tape)
I love those Yeah 3200s. I call them my Chea-Pos.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've bought an Orion 2400 lipo ($35 Tower Hobbies) to try in my VTA car (and Mini-Cooper). Decided to run it in all the heats/main this past Friday. In a field of 18 cars, I qualified and finished in 2nd. In the main I had a chance to win, but hit one too many boards. Finished less than 5 seconds back of the leader who is a better driver than me and actually had the fastest lap of the main. I'm using a TC3 with a Novak XBR/21.5 motor.

Without getting into a debate about which speed control/battery/car is better, I just wanted to share that there are good inexpensive options for club racing in VTA.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SWTour
My son uses a HPI Pro 2, and the ORION 2400, 3200, 3400 style batteries fit just fine. The Yeah Racing 3200 also fits just fine.

With ours since we harly ever take the pack out of the car, he has the spektrum receiver mounted to the top of the battery. (We wrap our antenna wire around a 2" tall by 3/4" wide piece of lexan and fasten that to the receiver w/ double sided tape)

Thanks Joe! How are you mounting the battery to the chassis??? Since I plan to do NOTHING to it on race days (yanno, busy running the races and all) can it be shoo-gooed to the chassis???
Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I've bought an Orion 2400 lipo ($35 Tower Hobbies) to try in my VTA car (and Mini-Cooper). Decided to run it in all the heats/main this past Friday. In a field of 18 cars, I qualified and finished in 2nd. In the main I had a chance to win, but hit one too many boards. Finished less than 5 seconds back of the leader who is a better driver than me and actually had the fastest lap of the main. I'm using a TC3 with a Novak XBR/21.5 motor.

Without getting into a debate about which speed control/battery/car is better, I just wanted to share that there are good inexpensive options for club racing in VTA.
Great info....did you do all this on one charge, or did you have to peak at any point.....sorry, I got some "technology" catching up to do....LOL
Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

A simple way to run a lipo in the HPI Pro/Pro 2 would be to use the Orion/Peak 2400, 3200, and 3400 Carbon Edition hard cased packs. These packs are designed to be used in a stick pack chassis and should easily fit if you use the stick pack holder on the HPI cars.

If you'd rather use a different hard case lipo, I'd go with a case with a smooth bottom and servo tape it to the chassis. I'd also use some strapping tape to secure it on the top.
-------------------------------------------

As far as the Orion 2400 I used, I recharged it between heats. I was using around 800mah for a 5 minute heat including some warm-up laps. I never recharged it after the main. I would suspect I used no more that 1300 mah for the 8 minute main. You should easily be able to get 10 minutes out of this battery in VTA.

I'm using an Ice charger for my Lipo batteries.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use a SMC 4000 pack in my Pro 2. I just slide it across and tape it in. The flat bottom on the pack is nice. Has anyone tried the lipo saddle packs?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Anyone using tire warmers on VTA tires? Do they fit the wide rears? What brand warmers? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

The tire rules in VTA don't specifically address tire warmers. I've copied the rules about tires from (http://www.usvintagetransam.com/). See below.

Tire & Wheel Specifications:
The only tires allowed are HPI tire part #4793 front and #4797 rear, using stock tire inserts provided with tire and any HPI Vintage wheels designed to fit these tires. Five or Eight spoke wheels available in various colors. 0mm offset front wheels and 6mm offset rear wheels are intended for 26mm width fronts and 31mm width rear tires. 8-spoke Vintage wheels from #3805 through #3814, 5-spoke Vintage wheels from #3815 through #3822 and Vintage stock car wheels from #3854 through #3860 are all legal wheels.

Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. HPI Vintage Slicks are not allowed. Tire traction compounds are at the discretion of the track. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed. No "double stuffing" of foam inserts allowed—only single stock vintage tire inserts are allowed.
However in my opinion I think tire warmers don't fit in with the "Spirit of VTA" Rule.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal. This is called the "Spirit of VTA" Rule. The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all. All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Correct, it's not prohibited in the rules, per se, but if I saw someone using tire warmers on a Trans Am car in the pits, I'd smack them in the back of the head and tell them to stop it.

Completely against the spirit of vintage Trans Am racing. Plenty of other classes to screw around with that stuff in—keep it away from your Trans Am car, though.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

For those who are using really tall ratios, ROBINSON RACING now makes SMALL SPURS in 64p (73t and 75t) and they are doing big pinions too, although I think they are only going up to 62 on the pinion gears at this time.

Quite a bit less expensive than the PRS gears too.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

OK so I am going to run my first vta race this weekend. If my used tires and shell show on time. I got my 21.5 and am running a 98 spur and 39 pinion with the xray's gear ratio (1.7) that puts me at a fdr of 4.27, trakpower 4900, and lrp tc spec ESC, I got a basic set up on here for my fk05. My question is about the esc does anyone run it in vta and if so do you run the default bl settings or have you changed it up for a different power delivery? Any other basic set up tips for this equipment/ car for vta would be very helpful.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

I would recommend starting at a 4.5 FDR and gearing up or down depending on how your car is running.

Any quality speed control that can handle a sensored motor should work fine. I've played around with the minimum drive setting, minimum brakes, and drag brake. The default settings on most speed controls should be a good starting point for this class. I will suggest if you are used to running a brushed motor, a little drag brake is nice since brushless will seem to coast a bit more.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have never ran a brushed motor I just started racing in march and have been in way over my head trying to run 13.5 class (no offence but I was not about to buy a tt01 and spend all that cash hopping it up). When I found out that everywhere i race is now or will be running vta next season I thought this would be a good place for me to really learn how to drive.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Smack them in the back of the head... surprised of that kind of answer from you. I'll let you know when I get a set!

i agree it's against the spirit of vta but it aint in the official rules..(hurry go update them)..but I don't race spirits. Are heat guns not in spirit either? If you want to take the spirit to the extreme band all tire sauces, while you'r at it make spec motor, batteries etc. Tires are the biggest difference I've seen in TA..either you got the right sauce/formula for sticky tires and speed or you don't. that is a bigger worry/difference IMO than if someone has warmers...warmers on hard tires aint going to do chit.

sorry I asked.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
Smack them in the back of the head... surprised of that kind of answer from you. I'll let you know when I get a set!

i agree it's against the spirit of vta but it aint in the official rules..(hurry go update them)..but I don't race spirits. Are heat guns not in spirit either? If you want to take the spirit to the extreme band all tire sauces, while you'r at it make spec motor, batteries etc. Tires are the biggest difference I've seen in TA..either you got the right sauce/formula for sticky tires and speed or you don't. that is a bigger worry/difference IMO than if someone has warmers...warmers on hard tires aint going to do chit.

sorry I asked.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I'll wager you won't last long in VTA anyway. It'll be too slow and too boring for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.