Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Generally the only ball screws that bend are the ackerman ones. You can replace them with the tamiya hard version or a pair of the flourine coated 5x9 kingpins that are used on the knuckle side of the front camber link

I didn't bother with loctite on the bulkheads
Old 03-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Generally the only ball screws that bend are the ackerman ones. You can replace them with the tamiya hard version or a pair of the flourine coated 5x9 kingpins that are used on the knuckle side of the front camber link

I didn't bother with loctite on the bulkheads
Pardon my ignorance as I don't know where to find ackerman. I do appreciate your response. I should have realized that the ball connectors used as kingpins could be used. I'm very excited about this new chassis, and I'm afraid my enthusiasm is getting ahead of me.

Thanks CraigM!
Old 03-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geppetto
Pardon my ignorance as I don't know where to find ackerman. I do appreciate your response. I should have realized that the ball connectors used as kingpins could be used. I'm very excited about this new chassis, and I'm afraid my enthusiasm is getting ahead of me.

Thanks CraigM!
The ones that bolt on the aluminum steering rack that swings back and forth.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KHoff7
The ones that bolt on the aluminum steering rack that swings back and forth.
Thanks Karl. I still have a lot to learn.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Evening all... just a quick post to show the first version of my LiPo chassis.
There's a few issues on this prototype, cells are a too far back, and get a bit too close to the right rear bulkhead, and I need to modify the screw hole countersinking a bit as well... but overall happy with the result so far

And yes... its not very wide!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-img_1638.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-img_1641.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-img_1650.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-img_1652.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
There's a few issues on this prototype, cells are a too far back, and get a bit too close to the right rear bulkhead, and I need to modify the screw hole countersinking a bit as well... but overall happy with the result so far

I like it. Let me know if you wanna let it go
Old 03-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard

I love the look of UK graphite, it has always looked much nicer than anything else.

Something to ponder though, how many current generation batteries still have the round bumps on the bottom? All the current ones i can think of have eliminated the bumps as the size has gotten larger.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Geppetto
I'm in the process of building my 416X and I have a few questions:

- Do you guys recommend using Loctite on the screws that thread into the bulkheads and motor mount?

- Is there an option part for the long blue alloy ball connectors? Part #? I fear the longer ball connectors may break or bend.

I still have the suspension to complete, but much of it seems to be a lot like my TA05 IFS-R.

Thanks!
No loctite is needed other than the ball studs/screws on the steering assy.

I never had a problem with the ball connectors, but you can switch to the optional steel ones.

The IFS-R is using the 416 suspension system. You can swap them back and forth if needed.

The turnbuckles hold up for the most part, but I highly recommend getting Ti ones for the long steering rods. The alum ones bend like butter. Other than that, I would carry lots of front knuckles, Chubs, and spool cups.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
I like it. Let me know if you wanna let it go
what are u looking at? wanna buy his car kit.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Gave the Smokem chassis and steering brace a good shakedown on the weekend. Managed to qualify second. Had a crappy 1st final finishing 4th. Made a few adjustments for the 2nd final and managed to stay 2nd while setting fastest lap. Then took out the 3rd final and again set fastest lap.

I lacked the top speed of the others as I was still running the old SP software and yet to find the sweetspot for my new SP V3 motor (10.5). Hope to find some more speed with some more tuning and the new SP software!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default exotek smokem

hi guys,
has anybody tried the new exotek chassis yet? if yes, can you give any impressions on the performance? also i would be interested which kind of lipos the exotek chassis actually can fit or not. i am driving LRP 5300 40C mainly but was thinking of buying the new LRP's 5900 50C shortly. but since they are bigger in size i am wondering if they still fit the exotek chassis. any hints on this??? thx
Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toh WL
what are u looking at? wanna buy his car kit.
haha, nice to see you here. I just want that chassis plate...

Originally Posted by inpuressa
Other than that, I would carry lots of front knuckles, Chubs, and spool cups.

Here's a good cheap alternative;

You can get 'em here http://www.r2hobbies.com/products.ph...8&cat=190&pg=7
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vitomon
hi guys,
has anybody tried the new exotek chassis yet? if yes, can you give any impressions on the performance? also i would be interested which kind of lipos the exotek chassis actually can fit or not. i am driving LRP 5300 40C mainly but was thinking of buying the new LRP's 5900 50C shortly. but since they are bigger in size i am wondering if they still fit the exotek chassis. any hints on this??? thx

I just installed an exotek chassis on saturday and did a practice run with it yesterday. The car was very well balance and handled great. Unfortunately, some dude parked his car in the middle of the straight and of course I hit him at full speed and broke the suspension so I haven't raced it yet though. Initial impressions were very positive. I can say in terms of batteries that the thunder power 5200 fit perfectly. There's not a lot of front to rear play. There's about 1 mm of space left between the top of the battery and upper deck. I have the battery brace/weights in the middle hole of my chassis. If you're using the carbon straps then you will probably use the outer holes in which case the upper deck probably won't be an issue. But if your battery dimensions match the Thunder, you'll be fine
Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by veecee
Gave the Smokem chassis and steering brace a good shakedown on the weekend. Managed to qualify second. Had a crappy 1st final finishing 4th. Made a few adjustments for the 2nd final and managed to stay 2nd while setting fastest lap. Then took out the 3rd final and again set fastest lap.

I lacked the top speed of the others as I was still running the old SP software and yet to find the sweetspot for my new SP V3 motor (10.5). Hope to find some more speed with some more tuning and the new SP software!
Lucky you.... I'm waiting for the chassis to arrive hopefully before the weekend race.

How about the chassis flex? Is it good enough? Hope to hear more from you about the chassis performance.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Besercoe
I love the look of UK graphite, it has always looked much nicer than anything else.
LOL! It's not "UK Graphite"! It's called 2x2 twill and it's used all over the world. Mostly used as the decorative outer layer on automotive parts. Looks silly on RC cars because the weaves are way too large and spaced out...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.