Search
Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottE1776
I remember in the old days of sealed stock igarashi motors. We would do two things to them. One was water dip them to break them in and the second was to wrench them to increase the timing (had to be careful because you could break wiring). Also some motors were just plain faster out of the box.
So you cheated.
Marcos.J, jiml and jlfx car audio like this.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
So you cheated.
Nope - used the hand out motor and watched EVERY SINGLE PERSON do the above. In fact there was almost a class in it. I also suggest you read Mark Donahue
The Unfair Advantage The Unfair Advantage
- and perhaps stop being sanctimonious. And cheating means 'BREAKING THE RULES" - guess what - this wasn't against the rules. If we had broken the tabs, that would have broken the rules.

Last edited by ScottE1776; 11-01-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
So you cheated.
If that's cheating then I never ran a legal brushed motor. Not once.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

It was definitely against the rules to crank the endbell timing on a fixed timing motor when I ran a brushed motor class.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:26 AM
Tech Lord

If it is not listed in the rules then it is alowed?
That is why rulebooks are as large as they are now, outrule such things to be legally right.

But yes searching for gaps and limits to use them does make this a good example but it does not belong in the atmosphere of a handout motor or so called "stock racing" It is actually modifying a motor.A break in is indeen a normal thing, sadly due an angle change of the brush it will alter the timing a bit. To prevent people are using many motors due a far break in of the brushes there was with most races I have done a limit of motors to use.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof
If it is not listed in the rules then it is alowed?
It was explicitly listed in the rules that I ran under that cranking the timing was forbidden. I'd be surprised if any handout brushed motor rules allowed cranking the timing or general motor modification. They normally follow "if it's not listed in the rules then it is NOT allowed".
30Tooth likes this.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

I find it amazing that the handout proponents can't see that there is way more cheating going on than the 17.5t blinky days. Rotors can easily be demagnetized with a degausser or a simple soldering iron contacting the output shaft or even a cigarette lighter to produce a higher rpm range than all the cars on the track and, with the cheater motors geared lower than the minimum fdr, there won't be any infield punch loss either.....Add esc/battery power output differences and you'll never catch the cheater down the straight......WOW..... Maybe the soldering irons and cigarette lighters should be banned........

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 11-08-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I find it amazing that the handout proponents can't see that there is way more cheating going on than the 17.5t blinky days. Rotors can easily be demagnetized with a simple soldering iron or cigarette lighter to produce a higher rpm range than all the cars on the track and, with the cheater motors geared lower than the minimum fdr, there won't be any infield punch loss either.....Add esc/battery power output differences and you'll never catch the cheater down the straight......WOW..... Maybe the soldering irons and cigarette lighters should be banned........
And who the hell is taking apart handout motors to demagnetize the rotor? Some of you on here need to learn what a hobby is all about.

Dave
jlfx car audio and gigaplex like this.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I find it amazing that the handout proponents can't see that there is way more cheating going on than the 17.5t blinky days. Rotors can easily be demagnetized with a simple soldering iron or cigarette lighter to produce a higher rpm range than all the cars on the track and, with the cheater motors geared lower than the minimum fdr, there won't be any infield punch loss either.....Add esc/battery power output differences and you'll never catch the cheater down the straight......WOW..... Maybe the soldering irons and cigarette lighters should be banned........
Bert.. You're the only thing on this thread I've seen banned lol
Old 11-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I find it amazing that the handout proponents can't see that there is way more cheating going on than the 17.5t blinky days. Rotors can easily be demagnetized with a simple soldering iron contacting the output shaft or cigarette lighter to produce a higher rpm range than all the cars on the track and, with the cheater motors geared lower than the minimum fdr, there won't be any infield punch loss either.....Add esc/battery power output differences and you'll never catch the cheater down the straight......WOW..... Maybe the soldering irons and cigarette lighters should be banned........
You'd need access to the rotor alone to do that. Does the term "tamper proof" mean anything? Many ways to seal a motor and make it obvious it was messed with.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Tech Lord

I find it amazing that the handout proponents can't see that there is way more cheating going on than the 17.5t blinky days. Rotors can easily be demagnetized with a degausser or a simple soldering iron contacting the output shaft or even a cigarette lighter to produce a higher rpm range than all the cars on the track and, with the cheater motors geared lower than the minimum fdr, there won't be any infield punch loss either.....Add esc/battery power output differences and you'll never catch the cheater down the straight......WOW..... Maybe the soldering irons and cigarette lighters should be banned........
Drivers next to you should inform you that the wires do not have to be soldered to the output shaft of the motor.....

Old 11-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I hate even asking this since Bert brought it up. What would keep someone from using a toaster over at say 200-250 degrees to weaken the rotor for more RPM with out the need to take it apart? Would that ruin the epoxy on the stater? Would the fingernail polish used to "seal" the motor change? Just asking since I have seen a toaster oven used for rotors before, was just wondering the effect on the whole motor.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

So now we're bringing toaster ovens to the track? This just keeps getting better and better.
rccartips, jiml, patorz31 and 1 others like this.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:57 AM
Tech Lord

Normally with a good handout system all sealed motors are afterwards inspected regarding the seal and RPM tolerances. Motors that do not comply within the tolerances or have a broken seal can be traced back to the driver.
hanulec likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dave
So now we're bringing toaster ovens to the track? This just keeps getting better and better.
I have heard of a certain tuner, that really knows what he is doing, that brings one to every race, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.