Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Handout motors give people the illusion of having a chance of winning. What's next, handout cars?
chensleyrc1 likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Handout motors give people the illusion of having a chance of winning. What's next, handout cars?
Handout drivers.
DaSilva3525 likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Once upon a time in real racing there was the IROC series. Identical cars all built by one shop. And maintained by one shop for the series. Driver just showed up and were assigned a car. And the winner of one event was then assigned the last place car at the next event. And last place driver got the winning car.

I know it’s not a realistic idea for our hobby. But could make for an interesting one off event. Or a in house class.

Just thinking outside thr box.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:34 AM
Tech Lord

No, thats not!
But handout will take away a lot of cheating and for sure give less differences on the track giving more hope (less frustration) on a better future for thos who are driving in the lower finals.
jiml and jlfx car audio like this.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof
No, thats not!
But handout will take away a lot of cheating and for sure give less differences on the track giving more hope (less frustration) on a better future for thos who are driving in the lower finals.
Handout is more hope for those who did not buy 40 motors to build one with an unfair advantage, but now it is becoming evident that motors can still be made way faster without opening them and without leaving any signs that something's been done....Hopefully every handout racer will be on the same lap for more than three laps....
Old 11-13-2018, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
No, thats not!
For how much it gets whined about, there is basically no cheating in RC racing and the guys who are cheating are usually dogshit drivers and tuners. No serious racer is out there trying to figure out how to circumvent the rules, and the classes where breaking the rules would help very much are usually B.S. Fun Run classes like Mini or VTA, and nobody is buying 40 motors to get the best ones for themselves. I have seen people win stock at BIG races like the IIC or the Reedy Race with off-the-shelf motors and batteries, this massive preoccupation with making everything "spec" is not helpful.

If you want to do "spec motor" do it right. Handout motor at the beginning of the season with a recording of internal resistance and rotor strength. Do not lock timing, no spec gearing, and they can take the motor home. Rules say that you can have to run it back through tech at any time. If you eliminate these tuning parameters of timing and gear your racers will never learn to tune a motor up properly.

God I miss boost. Nobody cared what motor you had when we ran boost.
Robbob, 30Tooth and Jorge T like this.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

God I miss boost. Nobody cared what motor you had when we ran boost.
Come to think of it... I do miss the flavor of the month ESC.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biz77
Come to think of it... I do miss the flavor of the month ESC.
That was when we went to blinky. When we were able to run boost most people I raced with preferred the Tekin for ease of programming. Then we went to blinky and suddenly the ESC wars began. Now it's motors.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Oh I definitely remember jumping around from LRPs to Tekins to Black Diamonds when we ran boost.
DARKSIDE likes this.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

Once upon a time in real racing there was the IROC series. Identical cars all built by one shop. And maintained by one shop for the series. Driver just showed up and were assigned a car. And the winner of one event was then assigned the last place car at the next event. And last place driver got the winning car.

I know it’s not a realistic idea for our hobby. But could make for an interesting one off event. Or a in house class.

Just thinking outside thr box.

I raced a IROC version of RC oval in Lexington KY. All the same cars, same gearing, same battery, same motor, same radio and the radios were tied into a power source that applied power to the radios at the same time. Ran nose to tail with Ralph Burch in that race before he bump passed me on the last lap, lol.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

so boost would really push the limits of the motor..lol
Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I see pros and cons to this. Its always an issue up for debate and then there is always the debate about how motors are "so" different that if you get a "good" motor its still a disadvantage. I'm pretty sure there is never going to be a answer to this that everyone will agree on.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:16 PM
Tech Lord

For how much it gets whined about, there is basically no cheating in RC racing and the guys who are cheating are usually dogshit drivers and tuners.
You really have no idea or you do not want to know because you hate the concept forever what reason....
Stockracing with handout motors is done with motors with a fixed endbell timing and a blinky or a stock ESC. With no handout rule I have seen it closeby that people do modify the endbell or resolder the sensors to gain more timing. Rotors are replaced by others and some people do even rewind the stators for less wire, most stuff that can only be done outside the races. To be sure motors are not swapped secret markings on the outside and even inside are sometimes made to detect this.

You will be amazed how close a field can become if you only show all the tools to detect cheating on motors, I have seen this happen!
jiml likes this.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Wow....It might be necessary to have racers go through airport type security with complete cavity searches just to race toy cars: watch for the extra big size magnets that can influence the handout rotor's magnetic strength and boost track performance.....Personally, it would best to just allow everything: no way to cheat then.....
Old 11-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Tech Lord

Maybe you did not get it but stockracing with handout motors is to have an as much equal performance on the track. People do not have to spend money to buy optional parts or 40 motors to get the best performance. It will keep it cheap and provide the most fun with exciting close racing w/o the questions what people are doing to their motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.