Like Tree687Likes

Handout motors

Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Handout motors

OH boy this one is going to blow up

Which classes need it the worst?
How can the motor manufactures still showcase their product?
Cheap fixed/sealed motor or standard motors all set the same?
Does a specific wind matter or a unspecified motor labeled as "stock"? (similar to 360v2.

I will try not to comment, I want to hear other opinions

let the fun commence
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ken.. this is an important topic. I'd suggest focusing on the slowest of classes ... As the motor difference has the largest impact. I'm thinking 1/12, tc, f1, usgt.

I'd suggest spec gearing for 2s classes (due to heat) and open gearing for 1s.

Motor wind doesn't matter when you have spec gearing.
G the Menace likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I say brushed motors, foam tc, and open esc mod 1/12.
RBLove and Juan Aveytia like this.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Starting this may ... I only plan on running mod, or handouts motors. After the past two season I'm kinda done with the motor of the week/season

Last edited by hanulec; 03-13-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good thread.. Make it happen for the champs Ken. Hopefully the other big races will follow
Old 03-13-2018, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Either make your spec classes with a hand out motor and speedo. Or just don’t worry about it. And hope people are following the race rules
Old 03-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Ok, how about we get the motor costs down around $50 a motor instead of $150 and make ROAR keep a set of specs the same. Once it is set this is what we are going to keep and not go below it.

I have mixed feelings about the fixed endbell issue. On the one hand you're taking the racer and his knowledge & skills out of the picture, but on the other if you fix the endbell then it will keep it a little more even keeled.

Also, to ensure that the manufactures keep in accordance with the specs and rules, make it so that if a motor is found not to be legal at a major race then that manufacture motor will not be legal for a set amount of time, say 6 months or a year.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
Ok, how about we get the motor costs down around $50 a motor instead of $150 and make ROAR keep a set of specs the same. Once it is set this is what we are going to keep and not go below it.

I have mixed feelings about the fixed endbell issue. On the one hand you're taking the racer and his knowledge & skills out of the picture, but on the other if you fix the endbell then it will keep it a little more even keeled.

Also, to ensure that the manufactures keep in accordance with the specs and rules, make it so that if a motor is found not to be legal at a major race then that manufacture motor will not be legal for a set amount of time, say 6 months or a year.
Spec/Locked motor only handicap motor builders/tuners. The motors will let the chassis tuners and better drivers stand out. Having run spec motors at big races, the fast guys with open motors, were still the fast guys with spec motors. Maybe it's time for race directors to weed out the sandbaggers and not allow them to run spec classes. I noticed a few guys,at the ROAR Nats, that clearly should have been running faster classes. But I guess "anything to get a win" is the name of the game. #CommenceTheFlameJob
davidl, SocalSnakeEyes, 8T and 2 others like this.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post

I'd suggest spec gearing for 2s classes (due to heat) and open gearing for 1s.

Motor wind doesn't matter when you have spec gearing.

I like this. It wouldn't really affect the finishing order all that much.. talent, knowledge, and skill will always rise to the top no matter what. If it makes it more affordable by not having to have a box full of (often former) motor of the week candidates... great.
hanulec likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Same subject only a different year. I've seen it all . A chassis I would not run -period and the guy builds the car at the event TQ's in the first qualifier and did not race any more in that class at a ROAR Nationals. Seen other drivers with box stock truck stomp the field and being told he cheated. I saw both of these events and neither did anything wrong.
If you have the talent it does not matter- up your skill to the best of your ability, that's all you can do.
When they can make everything (Motor and Esc )100% equal maybe?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

The problem with this type of topic is everone has a story of a 1% racer that creams the field with substandard equipment and they stretch that example to cover the rest of the 99% of the racers that could benefit from spec equipment.
davidl likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

What class needs these most???

Any class that has people concerned about motor of the week. Or, any class that is labelled "Sportsman" or "Amateur" at a large event.

Handout motors worked well for years at big races. Why not try it again?

It's definitely not a perfect solution or a fix-all but worth a shot.

Last edited by RacinJ; 03-13-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

I am all in for hand out motors.. I am all in for bringing your own motor and tuning it within rules.. I just love stock racing and the battles they bring.

I have never had any local track or race offer the hand out deal so never really considered it a reality. The one thing I guess that is the elephant in the room when it comes to these topics is manufacturers. One manufacture for that particular "big event" will supply said motor leaving the rest of the companies and sponsors drivers out of showcasing?

Wouldn't mind seeing more of it.

Last edited by DaSilva3525; 03-13-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525 View Post
I am all in for hand out motors.. I am all in for brining your own motor and tuning it within rules.. I just love stock racing and the battles they bring.

I have never had any local track or race offer the hand out deal so never really considered it a reality. The one thing I guess that is the elephant in the room when it comes to these topics is manufactures. One manufacture for that particular "big event" will supply said motor leaving the rest of the companies and sponsors drivers out of showcasing.
You see that is the one big mistake ,You dont have to make a motor from only one manufacturer . If the specifications of the motor you want to use are well defined to the point where all the manufactuers parts are interchageable , they could all make the motor.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Whatever Donny is doing seems like a good idea. At least from an outsider's perspective. If you as an organizer are supply motors that don't leave the building, you can run anything you want - any number of turns, legal, not-legal, etc. But if the racers have to buy and supply their own motor, it is nice if they are legal/approved and a common wind so that they are able to at least take that motor and use it at other events or sell it to someone who can use it
DaveVera, dawgmeat, jiml and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service