TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Just getting back into RC racing after over 20 years away. Got my 22 3.0 put together with a Reedy Mach 17.5 motor for stock racing.

I installed the 70t spur (part #TLR3978) with two slipper pads (part #LOSA3123) in place of the new spur and slipper pads but I can't get the slipper tight enough to raise the front end like I see in all the videos on building the diff and slipper.

I tried to stretch out the spring and even post a washer in between the spring and the slipper plate in hopes of getting it tight enough, but no go. I tried to stretch the spring slightly and even when bottomed out I get it slipping and it won't raise the front end up.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-17-2016, 11:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shane8168
Just getting back into RC racing after over 20 years away. Got my 22 3.0 put together with a Reedy Mach 17.5 motor for stock racing.

I installed the 70t spur (part #TLR3978) with two slipper pads (part #LOSA3123) in place of the new spur and slipper pads but I can't get the slipper tight enough to raise the front end like I see in all the videos on building the diff and slipper.

I tried to stretch out the spring and even post a washer in between the spring and the slipper plate in hopes of getting it tight enough, but no go. I tried to stretch the spring slightly and even when bottomed out I get it slipping and it won't raise the front end up.

Any suggestions?
For 17.5t racing just get a slipper eliminator, helps losing some rotating mass in the driveline and it won't hurt anything. I have the Schelle kit on my 3.0 and it fit perfectly!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You should only set slipper by that method with a mod motor.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Socket
No.

You'll need to buy the carpet laydown kit, THEN you can buy the dirt laydown to use.
so what is the point of the dirt laydown vs. the standard laydown. hell thats 270 dollars in conversion.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Seems like there are a lot of chassis and transmission options available now. It would be really handy if someone could put together a chart with all the various chassis and diff combinations with part numbers and the types of tracks to use them on. Maybe something Frank could cover in his next Facebook live stream.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:23 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shane8168

Any suggestions?
The stock motors don't have enough power to lift the front wheels regardless of the slipper setting, so you don't want to try and set your slipper that way.

It's an experience thing, but you can hear how hard the motor works to make the slipper slip, and this lets me know when it's tight enough. You'll have no issues with a slipper eliminator though, like TLR332056

Originally Posted by gte024h
Seems like there are a lot of chassis and transmission options available now. It would be really handy if someone could put together a chart with all the various chassis and diff combinations with part numbers and the types of tracks to use them on. Maybe something Frank could cover in his next Facebook live stream.
I've covered all it all so many times, but I guess I can continue to
Old 07-18-2016, 12:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
I've covered all it all so many times, but I guess I can continue to
You have covered it to its fullest extent! Great reading fwiw!

If anybody wonders, just read this thread at some point you will see it.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:17 AM
Tech Rookie

The stock motors don't have enough power to lift the front wheels regardless of the slipper setting, so you don't want to try and set your slipper that way.

It's an experience thing, but you can hear how hard the motor works to make the slipper slip, and this lets me know when it's tight enough. You'll have no issues with a slipper eliminator though, like TLR332056
Thank you sir!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Mine does.....
Old 07-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Why are we running slippers with stock motors?
Old 07-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zspeed36
so what is the point of the dirt laydown vs. the standard laydown. hell thats 270 dollars in conversion.
The standard laydown raises the diff height +3.5mm and the axle height 3mm at the rear hub. This essentially raises the roll center and to match the rear we are using the HRC front pivot plus raising the axle height to match. To be honest the car works really well on all the surfaces, but requires you to run a slightly lower rideheight for example 20-21mm on dirt.

The dirt laydown has personally for me been my favorite. It lowers the diff height back down to standard height which allows for the standard rear hub, but also to use the standard front LRC pivot. I felt the car rolled through the corner better, jumped better, and was a little less edgy on dirt. Overall both are great options and offer several options for a variety of tracks.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Frank, could you share what type of cars that the team was running at hotrod shootout. I saw on fb that Ryan had a standard car and Dustin had had a laydown?
Old 07-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is the 72 dollar 3 gear dirt laydown gear case set an add-on for running the laydown chassis conversion on dirt? So, essentially you need the laydown conversion AND this dirt laydown gear case kit?
Old 07-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryan432greening
Is the 72 dollar 3 gear dirt laydown gear case set an add-on for running the laydown chassis conversion on dirt? So, essentially you need the laydown conversion AND this dirt laydown gear case kit?
Yes, you are correct. The laydown chassis conversion comes with the +3.5mm gear case, and the dirt laydown is bought separately.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:39 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbracn
Frank, could you share what type of cars that the team was running at hotrod shootout. I saw on fb that Ryan had a standard car and Dustin had had a laydown?
Dustin ran laydown with Dirt Tranny. Maifield ran stand-up 3-gear. I think Dustin's car was a little better, but the 3-gear stand-up fit Maifield better this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.