TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've been running the 3.0 for a while now in stock. Only changes to the kit set up i've made was going to 27.5 wt Dynamite oil and 4 degrees toe, I adjust my camber to the track. My only aftermarket parts are a hot racing front camber block which feels almost as light as the plastic one, an exotek slipper eliminator and aluminum pucks. I've had people tell me that my buggy was the fastest stock buggy they ever seen. All i run is a Trackstar V2 17.5, Speed passion Revention R, Savox SC1257 servo and use RCking(smc) 4400mah packs. Overall very happy with my buggy on the many surface types i've ran on it so far, from med high bite clay all the way to med low grip very dusty tracks where you wouldn't think 3 gear would work.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HollywoodRC
Ok, I got the Exotek all installed and decided not to modify the front kick plate and add the +3 rear hubs to move up the roll center 3mm. Now, the question is how low, with just the Exotek leydown tranny, can you make your ride height?
I understand using the TLR laydown kit the +3mm rear hubs and the front kick plate mod is needed to move the roll center up so you can run a lower ride height. So, I'm thinking that I can go down a few mms using the Exotek, but not sure. Any thoughts from you jeti masters out there?
I have been running 21 mm front and rear wit good results
Old 06-11-2016, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fantomdude
I have been running 21 mm front and rear wit good results
Awesome, that's what I was thinking, 22mm is where I am gonna start.
So, you are not running the +3mm rear hubs? I'm gonna start with the stock hubs.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
It remains to be seen to know if a convertible car is the way to go as well. The biggest thing I'm noticing is how the outdrive height is being adjusted on the 3.0 to be more dirt friendly to allow higher ride heights. The industry is really new to laydown, and you can never expect something to take off until after it's released. I think you will see laydown evolve even more as guys learn how to make it better, and THEN you will see things happen. Right now you have different tranny cases for different conditions.

Plus, what about running a standard car with a HRC front and rear block? I bet that would work very well also.
I don't think it would work as well as a dedicated laydown car. I have both YZ's, picking up another 22 3.0 cause I liked it for mod on less then med-high bite tracks, but in stock and mod with high grip clay the corner speed of the YZ-2 CA/X-Ray XB2 Carpet, B5M Laydown are all seeing faster lap times across the board in the hands of the better drivers then the stand up three gear cars where I run. It's all about carrying forward momentum, and laydowns can carve turns much better on power then stand up transmission cars can, they also seem to more naturally rotate around sharp turns then stand ups, and I don't think I have ever traction rolled my YZ-2 CA.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Frank, you can package the kit with the laydown chassis drilled for (and including) both transmissions and call it the TLR 22 3.1
Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

I ordered the laydown dirt diff case. Does that setup use the alum rear hubs and HRC front mount or just regular standard 3.0 parts before putting on the lay down kit?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecarguy
I ordered the laydown dirt diff case. Does that setup use the alum rear hubs and HRC front mount or just regular standard 3.0 parts before putting on the lay down kit?
Run normal everything on it. Essentially you're going to have a laydown car that runs at 23-24mm height vs the 20-21 of the normal laydown.

I'm really liking mine. Mellows it out enough due to the higher ride height but you still get good corner speed and stability.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Run normal everything on it. Essentially you're going to have a laydown car that runs at 23-24mm height vs the 20-21 of the normal laydown.

I'm really liking mine. Mellows it out enough due to the higher ride height but you still get good corner speed and stability.
I tested the Exotek lay down tranny, with 22mm ride height, and the on power corner speed was awesome. Very happy with this tranny.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Can this be installed on the stock chassis or does it have to be on the chassis from the laydown kit?

Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 67GTA
Can this be installed on the stock chassis or does it have to be on the chassis from the laydown kit?
You use the stock 22 3.0 chassis. You will have to drill two 3mm holes in the chassis. The kit comes with a template that makes real easy.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by HollywoodRC
You use the stock 22 3.0 chassis. You will have to drill two 3mm holes in the chassis. The kit comes with a template that makes real easy.
That's for the Exotek - just wondering if you can do the same thing with the TLR dirt laydown case by drilling a couple holes in the stock chassis and using shims for the waterfall.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 67GTA
That's for the Exotek - just wondering if you can do the same thing with the TLR dirt laydown case by drilling a couple holes in the stock chassis and using shims for the waterfall.
yes, you can.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i was told to rn a standup 3.0 setup, using the laydown trans...meaning, no front hrc, and middle spindle height...etc...
Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Someone should start to compile a list of hop up parts from all manufacturers for this car.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default #confused

Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.