TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
Hoping someone can help me wrap my head around this:

This weekend a buddy, who has a 3.0 set up basically the same as mine, and I were racing at a local carpet track. We both agreed our cars were pushing a little more than we liked so we moved the battery forward let's say 10mm. No other changes were made other than to correct the ride height for the weight movement.

When the cars hit the track again we both agreed the cars were pushing worse than before which was baffling. We thought moving more weight to the front of the car would increase steering but the opposite showed to be true. The big question: why?
Moving weight forward generally increases on-power steering but decreases off power steering. Cause is more weight forward overwhelms the front tire's side bite sooner.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Davidka
Moving weight forward generally increases on-power steering but decreases off power steering. Cause is more weight forward overwhelms the front tire's side bite sooner.
I've had good luck w/ 1) moving the battery all the way back and to help with the weight transfer effect and then 2) increasing my front shock oil from 32.5 to 35 (have yet to play around with stiffer springs).
Old 03-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

I noticed same effect when moving the battery forward trying to gain more on power steering. There was some loss with off power steering. Was thinking I should get some more aggressive front tires to get more off power steering while leaving the battery more forward.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=MNiceGuy;14437372]Hoping someone can help me wrap my head around this:

This weekend a buddy, who has a 3.0 set up basically the same as mine, and I were racing at a local carpet track. We both agreed our cars were pushing a little more than we liked so we moved the battery forward let's say 10mm. No other changes were made other than to correct the ride height for the weight movement.

When the cars hit the track again we both agreed the cars were pushing worse than before which was baffling. We thought moving more weight to the front of the car would increase steering but the opposite showed to be true. The big question: why?[/QUOTE)
What casters blocks are you running? If running 5 deg, try 0 deg. Too much weight up front will cause front end wash out, just like if you riding up on the gas tank on a motorcross bike and you lean in too much in a corner and the front wheel washes out.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Yeah i had same experience. Had trouble with lack of on power steering so i moved batt all the way fwd and it didnt improve anythg so i figured i move it all the way back just for the heck of it and ended up having more steering!!!
Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by MrLean
I just bought the Lunsford ball cups, they fit great and already have the holes in them.
Are these the ones you got?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lunsford...T483X#shpCntId

I am having trouble with the stock ball cups being too tight on the turnbuckles. Greased the threads real good and cycled the turnbuckles in and out several times with a power tool to try to loosen them up but still pops out of the ball studs if i try to make adjustments. The stock ball cups are tough as heck which is a good thing but just thought i try somethg abit easier to work with.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:35 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
Hoping someone can help me wrap my head around this:

When the cars hit the track again we both agreed the cars were pushing worse than before which was baffling. We thought moving more weight to the front of the car would increase steering but the opposite showed to be true. The big question: why?
The static weight on the front end increased, but the amount of weight transfer to the front end decreased...

Originally Posted by TonyWest
Is there aluminum servo mount made be TLR for this car.
In the works
Old 03-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
The static weight on the front end increased, but the amount of weight transfer to the front end decreased...
I've never thought about this before, but I'm assuming the inverse applies as well? Moving the battery further forward could result in more weight shifting to the rear on power, potentially increasing on-power traction? Or is the benefit of having the static weight closer to the rear end of the car outweigh the weight transfer?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i was wondering what wheel is compatible with the aka evo lineup for the fronts of the 3.0? i have a set of aka evo slicks for the front and dont want to mount them up and make a mistake and them not being compatible on the stock 3.0 wheel. i really dont want to use the aka conversion kit if i dont have to im seeing alot of different part numbers for the tlr wheels. just want to know what rim in the aka evo lineup will fit the 22 3.0 so i can mount these slicks up thank you for the help
Old 03-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by toyota 2jz
just want to know what rim in the aka evo lineup will fit the 22 3.0 so i can mount these slicks up thank you for the help
As far as I am aware AKA does not make an EVO wheel for the 3.0 yet. TLR makes an Evo-compatible (2.4"/61mm) wheel, though.

TLR43012 (Yellow)
TLR43011 (White)
Old 03-10-2016, 03:59 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 68pontiac
I've never thought about this before, but I'm assuming the inverse applies as well? Moving the battery further forward could result in more weight shifting to the rear on power, potentially increasing on-power traction? Or is the benefit of having the static weight closer to the rear end of the car outweigh the weight transfer?
Traction is all about weight on tires, and how it moves around. Static weight is one part of the equation, and weight transfer (fr to rr and L to R) is the other.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

As far as I am aware AKA does not make an EVO wheel for the 3.0 yet. TLR makes an Evo-compatible (2.4"/61mm) wheel, though.

TLR43012 (Yellow)
TLR43011 (White)
ok thanks a bunch for the info! so i can just get the wheel and put it on without any problems?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi All,

What is the benefit of running the turnbuckles on the side guards, is the chassis not rigid enough on high grip.....???

Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by toyota 2jz
ok thanks a bunch for the info! so i can just get the wheel and put it on without any problems?
Yes. Those wheels will fit the 3.0 and accept Evo/2.4"/61mm tires.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Yes. Those wheels will fit the 3.0 and accept Evo/2.4"/61mm tires.
thank you very much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.